[comp.sources.d] alt.sources == comp.sources.alpha

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (02/17/89)

In article <1500@papaya.bbn.com> rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:

>I hope to put the new version out in alt.sources for alpha test in a
>month, then post it in comp.sources.unix

Hmm, that's a tremendously good idea.  Alpha test with alt.sources
and *then* post into comp.sources.unix.  Maybe that should be
a requirement for any post into comp.sources.unix.

Anybody for a quality subdivision to comp.sources.unix?  For example,
Larry Wall's wonderful perl program I think ran through two major
releases and a bunch of patches and is close to a third major release.
Maybe release one should have been posted to comp.sources.unix.alpha.
After all the patches and new features were added, it comes out
on comp.sources.unix.beta.  And finally, Larry puts it to bed
with release three to comp.sources.unix, the group where you're
allowed one more patch, but you get chastized for patches two
and beyond.  If any piece of software ever makes it to comp.sources.unix
proper, it is sure to have been tried on every lame segmentation
scheme Intel has ever invented, and every major variant *nix.
Should an author want to upgrade the package from
.alpha to .beta or .beta to proper there would be a minimum time
interval before it could be resubmitted to the next step up.

Well, it was just a thought.

--
Rick Richardson | JetRoff "di"-troff to LaserJet Postprocessor|uunet!pcrat!dry2
PC Research,Inc.| Mail: uunet!pcrat!jetroff; For anon uucp do:|for Dhrystone 2