[comp.sources.d] shar - archiver

bleckmd@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (david bleckmann) (02/16/89)

I appoligize if this subject has been beaten to death in c.s.d,
if so hit 'n' and please don't hate me :-)

I am looking for a version of shar that basically does everything.
Primarily I would like it to be able to break up the archive it
creates into parts which are not greater than n kilobytes, be able
to check and see if a file has control characters in it and uuencode
if so, and I would like it to create archives that when unsharing
will keep track of which parts have been unsharred and list the ones
that still need to be unshared.

I have got ahold of cshar, from comp.sources.unix, and as far as I
can tell, it can't do the uuencoding part.

I also have a program which seems to be called 'shar2' which can
check for necessary uuencoding etc, but (please don't laugh too hard :-)
I have only the binaries and not the original source.

If anyone has any info, please mail to me, or if you feel it worthwhile
post it.

Thanks for your help!

David Bleckmann
UUCP: {tektronix,hp-pcd}!orstcs!jacobs.cs.orst.edu!bleckmd
Internet/CSNet: bleckmd@jacobs.cs.orst.edu
  or:bleckmd%jacobs.cs.orst.edu@orstcs.cs.orst.edu
US Mail: 7340 SW 63rd
	 Portland, OR  97219

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (02/16/89)

In <8877@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> bleckmd@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (david bleckmann) writes:
>I am looking for a version of shar that basically does everything.
>... break into parts ... uuencode .. keep track of which parts ..

>I have got ahold of cshar, from comp.sources.unix, and as far as I
>can tell, it can't do the uuencoding part.
This is true.  In fact, I think I even pointed out in the README file that
I'm not interested in binary files.

Well, I changed my mind. :-)

The next release of cshar provides a new program, maniscan.  This program
reads a manifest and checks the files named there.  If it finds a binary
file, it uuencodes it.  If it finds a large file, it's split into pieces.
If it finds control characters in a text file, or a long line, or a line
that ends with whitespace (which BITNET hates), a warning message is
printed.  All the warnings are dumped to a logfile or stderr.

The manifest is rewritten to reflect these changes, and the logfile is
appended to the manifest.  You can then run makekit over the new
manifest.

If you've found any bugs in cshar2, patchlevel3, please let me know ASAP.
I hope to put the new version out in alt.sources for alpha test in a
month, then post it in comp.sources.unix
	/rich $alz
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (02/21/89)

In previous articles, the huddled masses cry out:
 "I am looking for a version of shar that basically does everything.
 "... break into parts ... uuencode .. keep track of which parts ..

 "I have got ahold of cshar, from comp.sources.unix, and as far as I
 "can tell, it can't do the uuencoding part."

Anyhow, the alpha test of "cshar3" is in alt.sources.  It slices, it
dices, it contains a ridiculous amount of code for such a simple job.
Please don't pass the alt.sources version around, wait for the real
one.  If you can't wait, go unpack what's there and find and fix bugs.

Actually, you shouldn't find many bugs in the alt.sources version, but
I do know that some things are not finished -- e.g., I have to write some
more words on uuencode and uudecode.  But enough of the rest is there
that folks should have no problems.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
	/rich $alz
--