[comp.sources.d] tacky use...

chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (03/16/89)

[discussion moved from alt.sources -- what a novel concept]

In article <405@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>Please move this discussion to comp.sources.d.  Alt.sources if for source
>postings only.  Posting messages here plays havoc with automatic archivers.

Automatic archiving of alt.sources?  Ha!  What a joke.

I've long ago decided it was much easier to manually archive the "wheat"
rather than automatically archive everything and throw out the "chaff".
The only way archiving is going to work for alt.sources is if posters
start using secondary headers (a la comp.sources newsgroups) when real
sources are posted there.  Personally, I'd like to see something like:

    Submitted-by: My Name <my!address>
    Posting-number: Volume 89
    Archive-name: pgm_name

This leaves off the "Issue" part of the "Posting-number" field.  Roll the
volume number annually.  12 chars or less on archive name, please, to
allow for ".Z".  Comments?
--
Chip Rosenthal     chip@vector.UUCP    |      Choke me in the shallow water
Dallas Semiconductor   214-450-5337    |         before I get too deep.