[comp.sources.d] v18i018: Generate changebars in ?roff docs using patch

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (03/22/89)

Is there anything this program gives me that I can't do with the "mc"
utility?
--
	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   uunet!desint!geoff

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (03/23/89)

In article <17@desint.UUCP>, geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) writes:
> Is there anything this program gives me that I can't do with the "mc"
> utility?
> --
> 	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   uunet!desint!geoff

I assume you are referring to the manual insertion of ".mc |" for the
beginning of a change and a ".mc" for the end of a change.  My engineers
wanted to edit to their heart's content, and THEN have something runnable
that could take ANY two versions of a document (presuming that 'diff -c'
could handle them at least), and from that automatically generate the
'.mc' on and off.  When you are in the throes of creating a piece of
hardware and document it on the fly, you may not want to take the time
to figure out where you made the changes.  Likewise, with occasional
lacks of discipline in the document passing stages, one sometimes gets
several versions of documents... the documentor may go nutz trying to
figure out what PRECISELY changed from one version to another...
getting them electronically and filing them by individual name
makes it possible to bring an alternatively formatted version of
the document up to date when ya know exactly what changed, even
if the submittor hasn't kept track.

If you have discipline and complete control, more power to you.
The changebar excercise was a sanity preserver for me.

Rob Peck

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (03/29/89)

In article <5146@ardent.UUCP> rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) writes:

> > Is there anything this program gives me that I can't do with the "mc"
> > utility?

> I assume you are referring to the manual insertion of ".mc |" for the

Nope, I was referring to the "diffmk" program -- only I mis-remembered the
name.  Sorry about the confusion.

Now that I've got the name right, let me ask again:  Is there anything
this program does that "diffmk" doesn't do?
--
	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   uunet!desint!geoff