[comp.sources.d] How do we do BSD directory routines in SYSV?

news@investor.UUCP ( Bob Peirce) (03/31/89)

Several recent positing in comp.sources.unix -- ren, sls and man to
be exact, call functions like opendir, readdir, scandir, etc., which
I believe are BSD functions.  I don't know what to do about these on
SYSV.

I have an include file, ndir.h, which seems to define things that these
functions use, but I have no corresponding functions in any of my
libraries.

Has anybody put together anything I could drop in in place of these?
If so, could you send a copy or, even better, post it so all the other
SYSV users can take advantage of it?

--
Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA				 412-471-5320
uucp: ...!{allegra, bellcore, cadre, idis, psuvax1}!pitt!investor!rbp

>I have an include file, ndir.h, which seems to define things that these
>functions use, but I have no corresponding functions in any of my
>libraries.

Where did you get "ndir.h" from?  If you didn't get it, ask the person
who did.  It may have come with a version of the directory library for
the V7/S5 file system.

>Has anybody put together anything I could drop in in place of these?

Several people have: Kirk McKusick of Berkeley and Doug Gwyn of
Ballistic Research Laboratories are two who come to mind.  Both versions
have been posted to USENET in the past; I think Doug's is in one of the
"comp.sources.*" archives (although I don't know if that's the latest
version or not).

>If so, could you send a copy or, even better, post it so all the other
>SYSV users can take advantage of it?

Some of the other System V users, anyway.  System V Release 3.x users
don't have any need for it - S5R3 has a version of the POSIX directory
library, which is basically the same as the BSD one except for a couple
of name changes to avoid collisions.

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (04/05/89)

Try gwyn-dir-lib in volume 9 of comp.sources.unix archives.

 Thos Sumner       (thos@cca.ucsf.edu)   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca
 (The I.G.)        (...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos)

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704

OS|2 -- an Operating System for puppets.

#include <disclaimer.std>

soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (04/07/89)

In article <1803@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) writes:

>Try gwyn-dir-lib in volume 9 of comp.sources.unix archives.

If you get this also make sure you get the patch, which was poted for it too.

--
Norman Soley - The Communications Guy - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
Until the next maps go out:	moegate!soley@ontenv.UUCP