[comp.sources.d] Patch frequency

paf@uts.amdahl.com (Paul A. Fronberg) (05/15/89)

In regards to patch frequency, what about News 2.11 or Pearl. There are now 17
patches for 2.11 and I forget how many came out originally for pearl. Patch,
itself, is up to 8.

There are two major problems that I see with comp.sources/comp.misc and
official patches.

One is that the patches may not be posted in a commonly read newsgroup.
As an example, the sources for 2.11 were posted in mod.sources (comp.sources?)
and the official patches appear in news.software.b. It was by pure accident
that I even saw the news patches and found where to look for them. This is
probably the extreme case, but I am sure that other cases may be found (elm).

I claim that all offical patches should be issued through the moderated source
group that the program was originally posted. This would allow easier
administration of fixes and put them in a known group.

The second problem is that with certain critical programs (news, patch) it
probably makes sense, at some point, to do a repost with all the patches
applied.  With news 2.11, I found that I had to upgrade the patch program
to apply som patches.  Also, I had to get a patch that I'd missed due to
system problems and had one arrive slightly mangled.

Perhaps certain programs should be periodically posted once a quarter or once a
year just to ensure that the community has up to date versions. News and patch
would be prime canidates.

As an aside, I wonder what the average net patch level for news is, or the patch
program? Are there still sites using 2.10.* ?

stever@videovax.tv.Tek.com (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) (05/16/89)

In article <bahx024m26XB01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, Paul A. Fronberg
(paf@uts.amdahl.com) writes:

> In regards to patch frequency, what about News 2.11 or Pearl. There are now
> 17 patches for 2.11 and I forget how many came out originally for pearl.
> Patch, itself, is up to 8.
                          ^

Well, yes, Patch is up to 8.  In fact, it is at least up to 12, because that
is the latest patch I have:

> From: lwall@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Larry Wall)
> Newsgroups: comp.sources.bugs
> Subject: Re:  patch 2.0 patch #12
> Date: 23 Jun 88 18:52:14 GMT

[ deletions ]

> System: patch version 2.0
> Patch #: 12
> Subject: some faulty declarations

>         Certain systems were producing compilation errors and warnings due
>         to some faulty declarations.
>
> Fix:    From rn, say "| patch -p -N -d DIR", where DIR is your patch source
>         directory.  Outside of rn, say "cd DIR; patch -p -N <thisarticle".

[ etc. ]

At least, keeping up with changes to Larry's programs is fairly easy.  The
following comes from the patch file quoted above:

    If you are missing previous patches they can be obtained from me:

    Larry Wall
    lwall@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov

    If you send a mail message of the following form it will greatly speed
    processing:

    Subject: Command
    @SH mailpatch PATH patch 2.0 LIST
               ^ note the c

    where PATH is a return path FROM ME TO YOU in Internet notation, and
    LIST is the number of one or more patches you need, separated by spaces,
    commas, and/or hyphens.  Saying 35- says everything from 35 to the end.

    You can also get the patches via anonymous FTP from
    jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov (128.149.8.43).

To get the updates from your current patch level of 8, send a message of
the following form:

    To: lwall@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov
    From: blurfle@foo.com

    @SH mailpatch blurfle@foo.com patch 2.0 9-

This procedure has worked for me in the not-too-distant past.  I cannot vouch
that it is functioning this very minute, because I sent in two requests last
Saturday that I have not yet received replies to.  Try it, though.

					Steve Rice

* Every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord! *
new: stever@videovax.tv.Tek.com               [phone (503) 627-1320]
old: {decvax | hplabs | uunet | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever