[comp.sources.d] BERTIE

2014_5001@uwovax.uwo.ca (05/28/89)

I am looking for information about the BERTIE program for CAI in
logic.   All I know about it is that it was written by James Moor,
_et_al_.  If someone knows of another CAI in advanced logic program,
please tell me.  In particular:  is BERTIE in the public domain?

slaghtrl@lafcol.UUCP (Slaght Ralph L) (05/31/89)

In article <2244@uwovax.uwo.ca>, 2014_5001@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
> I am looking for information about the BERTIE program for CAI in
> logic.   All I know about it is that it was written by James Moor,
> _et_al_.  If someone knows of another CAI in advanced logic program,
> please tell me.  In particular:  is BERTIE in the public domain?

BERTIE has been superceded by BERTIE-II.  It is a commercial package
sold by Random House and is designed to check deductive proofs in
either propositional or quantificational logic.  The proof style is
that of the text book, The Logic Book, written by James Moor, Jack
Nelson, and Merrie Bergmann.  There are lots of other programs which do
similar things.  Many are written to accompany logic text books.  Here
are three which are not written for texts:

   1.  The LogicWorks, from the Philosophy Documentation Center,
Bowling Green, Ohio;
   2.  Twootie, for truth tree constructions, from Austen Clark, U. of
Tulsa, OK.;
   3. Philo the Logician, a program for propositional logic sentence
transations.

I trust this will get you started.

                      Ralph Slaght
                      Philosophy Department
                      Lafayette College
                      Easton, Pa. 18042

maner@bgsuvax.UUCP (Walter Maner) (06/02/89)

From article <2244@uwovax.uwo.ca>, by 2014_5001@uwovax.uwo.ca:
> I am looking for information about the BERTIE program for CAI in
> logic.   All I know about it is that it was written by James Moor,
> _et_al_.  If someone knows of another CAI in advanced logic program,
> please tell me.  In particular:  is BERTIE in the public domain?

I don't believe BERTIE was ever in the public domain.  It was prepared
under NSF grant number GJ-28456, so I might be wrong about that.  It
was originally distributed by Project COMPUTe, Hanover, NH.  Later on,
it was distributed by Conduit and maybe still is.  A Mac version is
currently marketed by Kinko's Academic Courseware and well worth the
nominal cost.

Jim can be reached at Dartmouth:  jim.moor@dartmouth.edu

BTW, credit Jack Nelson with part of the work on the original BERTIE.
Hope this helps.

--
CSNet   : maner@research1.bgsu.edu            | 419/372-8719
InterNet: maner@research1.bgsu.edu (129.1.1.2)| BGSU Comp Sci Dept