[comp.sources.d] Need dial

wnp@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (05/31/89)

In article <4522@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) writes:
>Does anyone have a dial(3C) library that is compatible with HoneyDanBer UUCP ?
>I've seen quite a few of these on the archive machines, but they
>support  the older System 5.2 UUCP.
>Surprisingly the dial(3C) which came with my UNIX 5.3 supports the older UUCP.
>I'm informed that this is a common situation with UNIX 5.3.

Yes. I recently was looking at HDB source at a client's with a source license,
and there is a comment in there to the effect that HDB does not use dial(3).

Thus, since the authors of HDB chose not to use dial(3), apparently nobody
at AT&T saw a need to update it.

It is not just a matter of changing some file names and the location and
format of the lock files; to do it properly, you have to also include
support of the Dialers file. In order to do that, you really want to have
access to HDB source, to use the routines they use to parse the dialer file,
etc.

However, if all you need is superficial compatibility, primarily with
the HDB lockfile scheme, it would probably be not too difficult to
modify the dialinfo library by Gene Olson, which can be found in Volume 6
of comp.sources.unix, at your nearest friendly archive site.
UUCP:   {texbell, killer, dalsqnt}!dcs!wnp
DOMAIN: wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us or wnp%dcs@texbell.swbt.com

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (06/04/89)

As quoted from <8244@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> by wnp@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Wolf Paul):
+---------------
| In article <4522@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) writes:
| >Does anyone have a dial(3C) library that is compatible with HoneyDanBer UUCP ?
|
| Yes. I recently was looking at HDB source at a client's with a source license,
| and there is a comment in there to the effect that HDB does not use dial(3).
+---------------

"Curiouser and curiouser."  The system I use supports an HDB dial(3) -- but
a few versions behind the rest of the system.  For example, it doesn't know
about the ",M" subfield in Devices, although it knows about Dialers et al.

+---------------
| However, if all you need is superficial compatibility, primarily with
| the HDB lockfile scheme, it would probably be not too difficult to
| modify the dialinfo library by Gene Olson, which can be found in Volume 6
| of comp.sources.unix, at your nearest friendly archive site.
+---------------

Yes, but what of us who want to be able to use dial(3) to access HDB services
and don't have HDB source?  (I've written a terminal program which keeps its
noise in the status line, rather than scribbling on the screen the way cu
does, and invokes rz/sz to do file transfers.  Unfortunately, not having
dial(3) use HDB facilities means that I'm going to have to do a lot of extra
work to make it a reasonable replacement for "cu" -- boo, hiss, AT&T has a
lot of gall to make it etremely difficult to improve on that ugly beast cu!)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu