[comp.sources.d] Shape on Xenix 2.2.3

tony@ajfcal.UUCP (Tony Field) (06/10/89)

I have the recently posted SHAPE package compiled on Xenix 2.2.3/386.

The following BSD4 routines are called and are unresolved:

	_gethostname in file(s): afsysc.o(afsysc.c)
	_index in file(s):       afhash.o(afhash.c)
	_lstat in file(s):       afsysc.o(afsysc.c)
	_bzero in file(s):       afhash.o(afhash.c)
	_rindex in file(s):      afenviron.o(afenviron.c)
	_getwd in file(s):       afenviron.o(afenviron.c)

Could someone please tell me what they do (with structure descriptions,
if applicable) so I can replicate their functionality.  Some of them,
of course, are obvious:  however I do wish to "make sure".

I would also like to know the structural difference between the
BSD routine "utimes()"  and the Xenix routine "utime()".

If anyone wishes the Xenix diff's, I would be glad to email after these
unresolved functions are implemented.

tony...
--
+------------------------------------
|  Tony Field                             ..uunet!utai!calgary!ajfcal!tony
|  Co-Design Information Systems Ltd.
|  Calgary, Alberta, Canada                 voice: (403) 266-3239

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (06/17/89)

Here are the System V functions to use when confronted with BSD applications:

      BSD               SysV
      --------------    --------------
      gethostname       uname   (use the "nodename" structure member)
      index             strchr
      lstat             stat    (no symbolic links under System V)
      bzero             memset(.., 0, ..)
      rindex            strrchr
      getwd             getcwd

>If anyone wishes the Xenix diff's, I would be glad to email after these
>unresolved functions are implemented.

I'm sure we'd all like to see them.  (Or mail to me... :-))
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg         |       <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>

pcng@cad.unsw.oz (Po Cheung Ng (Andrew)) (06/19/89)

Hi System V users,

	Please don't get too excited with the shape package. Shape uses
very very long file names unless you use it as another make command.
Unless your file system supports long file names such as the BSD/Fast file
system, which is not the case for most (old) System V machines (future
version of the merged Xenix/UNIX Operating Ssystem (OS) will support this
however), it would be a waste of time if you hope to explore shape's
version control facility.

	I haven't actually look at the source and see how it constructs
the file name. But since it is only supported on SUN, Ultrix and BSD OSs,
and not pure System V OSs, so I don't think it will construct the filename
differently on traditional System V file system (which has only 14 characters
for the file names). But I did port the shape toolkit to MIPS's workstation
running UMIPS OS v 3.10 (a System V.3 OS blended with some BSD features/system
calls [such as syslog, lstat, getwd, gethostname], and a BSD-style file
system). With a bit of hackings and ONE fatal BUG FIX [change 29 to 28 at
line 144 of file src/shape/main.c], it compiles but fails to run [with shape
error 17: couldn't find appropriate version of ..., maybe I haven't mapped
re_comp and re_exec to regcmp and regex properly]. I still have to look at
it when I have some spare time.

	I personally think that Shape is a pretty nice package in maintaining
and developing programs on a NFS shared by different type of CPUs or OSs.
In my case, I deal with SUN, UMIPS OS 3.10 (System V.3) and SCO Xenix V OSs.
But porting it to Xenix at this stage is a bit of waste of time, or pre-mature.
I just wonder if people who developed the shape toolkit could use shorter
file names instead to do the version control so that those poor System V
users can benefit.

       _   _. __   _,
---   /_)_(__/) )_(_)_		[ Also known as Andrew ]
     /              /|
    '              |/

----------------
Po Cheung NG                               ISD:  +61 2 697-4056
JMRC, School of Elec. Eng. and Comp. Sci., STD:  (02) 697-4056
The University of New South Wales,         FAX:  +61 2 662-2087
PO Box 1, Kensington,         ARPA: pcng%cad.jmrc.eecs.unsw.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
Sydney, NSW 2033,             JANET: cad.jmrc.eecs.unsw.oz!pcng@ukc
AUSTRALIA.                    ACSnet: pcng@cad.jmrc.eecs.unsw.oz

                   ....!enea ---------\
                   ....!hplabs -----\  \
                   ....!mcvax  --\   \  \
UUCP:              ....!prlb2  --->--->--> !munnari!cad.jmrc.eecs.unsw.oz!pcng
                   ....!uunet  --/   /  /
                   ....!ubc-vision -/  /
                   ....!ukc ----------/

axel@coma.UUCP (Axel Mahler) (06/21/89)

In article <210@ajfcal.UUCP> tony@ajfcal.UUCP (Tony Field) writes:

>If anyone wishes the Xenix diff's, I would be glad to email after these
>unresolved functions are implemented.

As one of the implementors of the shape-toolkit, I'm glad to see
that many people find our system useful, and even start to do ports
to new platforms. However, as we continue working on shape, the version
control system, and the underlying object management system, we have
a *STRONG* interest to maintain control over the toolkit's evolution.

*Please* don't start to post all sorts of patches to the original version.
Send patches exclusively to us. We will collect all patches, evaluate
them, and distribute them as 'official' updates. Although this procedure
will introduce a (hopefully) slight delay for interested netlanders, we
all will have a lot more fun with consistent baselines of the system.
Such 'consistent baselines' are the prerequisite for fruitful discussions
and any form of assistance we might be willing to offer in exchange for
cooperation.

I invite all interested parties - especially those who do any kind of
work on the shape-toolkit - to join our mailing list. The mailing list
will be a forum for technical issues, discussion of future development
directions, and conceptual topics of software configuration management (SCM).
The list will also be used to distribute patches.

Anyone interested in getting on our list should send mail to
shape@coma.uucp, uunet!coma!shape, or shape@db0tui62.bitnet.

cheers, Axel.
-------------

--
Axel Mahler, Tech.Univ. Berlin

UUCP: axel@coma.uucp (unido!coma!axel)
BITNET: axel@db0tui62.bitnet

tmoore@ciss.Dayton.NCR.COM (Tom.Moore@ciss.Dayton.NCR.COM) (06/23/89)

In article <404@coma.UUCP> axel@coma.UUCP (Axel Mahler) writes:
>In article <210@ajfcal.UUCP> tony@ajfcal.UUCP (Tony Field) writes:
>>
>>If anyone wishes the Xenix diff's, I would be glad to email after these
>>unresolved functions are implemented.
>>
>As one of the implementors of the shape-toolkit, I'm glad to see
>that many people find our system useful, and even start to do ports
>to new platforms. However, as we continue working on shape, the version
>control system, and the underlying object management system, we have
>a *STRONG* interest to maintain control over the toolkit's evolution.

An admirable goal.  However I think there is a big difference between
a patch and a port.  Some of us need to get it running first.

I have a keen interest in shape as it may provide a basis for resolution
of some problems I have.  Unfortunately, there seems to be no
support for us System V folks and I presently do not have the time to
tackle it myself.

If anyone can provide the diffs to get going on System V machines, I for
one have a *STRONG* interest in getting something that I can compile and
run.  We can discuss patches later.

Tony, my e-mail address is below.  Put me on your mailing list.

--
* Tom Moore                NCR Corporation  PCD-6              (513) 445-1373 *
* Consulting Analyst       1700 S. Patterson Blvd.         VOICEplus 622-1373 *

jameson@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Kevin Jameson) (06/23/89)

Does anyone know who I can contact to obtain a version of RCS by Walter
Tichy at Purdue University.  A mail address, or ordering procedure
perhaps?  Even comments on RCS copyright restrictions would be appreciated.

Thanks
  jameson@cpsc.ucalgary.ca

net@tub.UUCP (Oliver Laumann) (06/26/89)

In article <1549@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> jameson@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Kevin Jameson) writes:
> Does anyone know who I can contact to obtain a version of RCS by Walter
> Tichy at Purdue University.  A mail address, or ordering procedure
> perhaps?

His electronic mail address is tichy@uka.UUCP or tichy@dkauni0i.BITNET
(University of Karlsruhe, Germany).  Send him a letter asking for a
license form for RCS.

Regards,
--
Oliver Laumann              net@TUB.BITNET              net@tub.UUCP

render@m.cs.uiuc.edu (06/26/89)

Written 11:53 am  Jun 23, 1989 by jameson@cpsc.ucalgary.ca:
>Does anyone know who I can contact to obtain a version of RCS by Walter
>Tichy at Purdue University.  A mail address, or ordering procedure
>perhaps?  Even comments on RCS copyright restrictions would be appreciated.

If you have ftp, you can connect to uunet.uu.net anonymously and you'll find
rcs under the pub directory.  If you need to contact Dr. Tichy, you'll have
to send mail to the University of Karlsruhe, his current home.

Hal Render
render@cs.uiuc.edu