[comp.sources.d] NN - Interrim Fix for "Database Corrupted" Messages

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) (07/19/89)

I have tracked down the infamous "Corrupted database" bug I
unfortunately introduced with patch #4 in an attempt to handle
non-existing directories better (with the opposite effect).

I have included an "interrim" patch below which will fix the bug.

It is a problem in nn/nnadmin, so there is no need to rebuild the
database - it is not corrupted!

NOTICE:  This is not an official nn patch -- it is just to get you
going until I find the time to put together a real official patch.  I
have promised a few more things for patch #5, so it will probably take
a week or so to get it ready (and with all the hassle I have with
people not getting all the patches, I want to limit the number of
patches).

Of course this patch will be part of patch #5, so when that arrives
you must reverse this unofficial patch before applying it.

++Kim Storm

*** /usr/storm/nn6.3.4/db.c	Mon Jul 10 13:36:06 1989
--- db.c	Mon Jul 17 22:31:59 1989
***************
*** 45,51 ****
  	if (is_master)
  	    group_position = group_path_name;
  	else {
- 	    if (gh->group_flag & G_NO_DIRECTORY) return 0;
  	    strcpy(group_path_name, news_directory);
  	    group_position = group_path_name + strlen(group_path_name);
  	    *group_position++ = '/';
--- 45,50 ----
***************
*** 83,88 ****
--- 82,88 ----
      } else {

  	/* client */
+ 	if (gh->group_flag & G_NO_DIRECTORY) return 0;

  	*p++ = '/';
  	group_file_name = p;

--
Kim F. Storm        storm@texas.dk        Tel +45 429 174 00
Texas Instruments, Marielundvej 46E, DK-2730 Herlev, Denmark

scs@itivax.iti.org (Steve C. Simmons) (07/20/89)

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

>I have tracked down the infamous "Corrupted database" bug I
>unfortunately introduced with patch #4 in an attempt to handle
>non-existing directories better (with the opposite effect).

>I have included an "interrim" patch below which will fix the bug.

>It is a problem in nn/nnadmin, so there is no need to rebuild the
>database - it is not corrupted!

Kim then supplies the interim patch.  Not being particularly
thrilled with the idea of patching, installing, unpatching, installing
(no offense, Kim :-) I tried just creating the missing directories
and rebuilding the database.  Worked fine.

The more I use nn the more I like it.  Good stuff.
--
Steve Simmons		          scs@vax3.iti.org
Industrial Technology Institute     Ann Arbor, MI.