[comp.sources.d] troff2lj swallows 'fi'

cspencer@lexicon.com (Cliff Spencer) (07/25/89)

I have a problem with troff2lj generating output that contains
spaces where the character sequence fi should be. I am using
the HP 'B' font cartridge instead of the 'K' cartridge specified
in the documentation but the 'B' also contains TmsRmn 10 so
I am assuming this is not the problem. The Laserjet is an old
Laserjet I. Has anyone seen this?
					Thanks,
					-cliff

clewis@eci386.uucp (Chris Lewis) (07/27/89)

In article <483@lexicon.com> cspencer@lexicon.UUCP (Cliff Spencer) writes:
>I have a problem with troff2lj generating output that contains
>spaces where the character sequence fi should be. I am using
>the HP 'B' font cartridge instead of the 'K' cartridge specified
>in the documentation but the 'B' also contains TmsRmn 10 so
>I am assuming this is not the problem. The Laserjet is an old
>Laserjet I. Has anyone seen this?

Evidentally that version of troff2lj doesn't support ligatures properly,
or not with the wrong cartridge.

Turn 'em off.

insert a .lg 0 into your file somewhere.
--
Chris Lewis, R.H. Lathwell & Associates: Elegant Communications Inc.
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo}!lsuc!eci386!clewis

shawni@redsun.UUCP (Shawn Instenes) (07/27/89)

cspencer@lexicon.com (Cliff Spencer) writes:

>I have a problem with troff2lj generating output that contains
>spaces where the character sequence fi should be....

Both 'fi' and 'ff' character sequences are eaten.  This makes the word
'file' '  le' and 'efficient' becomes 'e  icient'.

I'm using a LaserJet IID with a Super Cartridge, which contains all the
fonts I'm ever likely to use.  Does someone have a solution to this
problem?  A patch?  Some hints?  Other than this small problem, I'm
very impressed with the output produced by the LaserJet.

--
Shawn Instenes     UUCP:...!nosun!qiclab!redsun!shawni
Senior Programmer, Research Dept., Portland (OR) Public Schools

rosenkra@hall.cray.com (Bill Rosenkranz) (07/30/89)

=
=>I have a problem with troff2lj generating output that contains
=>spaces where the character sequence fi should be....
=
=Both 'fi' and 'ff' character sequences are eaten.  This makes the word
='file' '  le' and 'efficient' becomes 'e  icient'.
=
=I'm using a LaserJet IID with a Super Cartridge, which contains all the
=fonts I'm ever likely to use.  Does someone have a solution to this
=problem?  A patch?  Some hints?  Other than this small problem, I'm
=very impressed with the output produced by the LaserJet.
=
=
=--
=Shawn Instenes     UUCP:...!nosun!qiclab!redsun!shawni
=Senior Programmer, Research Dept., Portland (OR) Public Schools
=Disclaimer:  PPS pays me for my work, not my opinions.

the problem is the ligatures. troff hs ligatures default on. i had the same
problem. the font i was using (and maybe the LJ in general?) did not have
support for them. i forget the command, something like .lg 0 or something.

-bill