[comp.sources.d] update on white space in Message-IDs

In article <1989Aug4.164427.3810@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Geoff is the RFCologist in this, and he says the question actually does not
>seem to have a well-defined answer...

Geoff has consulted the Holy Writs again, at length, and says that to his
astonishment, for once they actually appear to agree:  white space is not
legal in Message-IDs.

There remains the question of what to *do* about such a Message-ID, given
our preference for tolerance.
--
1961-1969: 8 years of Apollo.  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1969-1989: 20 years of nothing.| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

In article <1989Aug6.040523.11690@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> In article <1989Aug4.164427.3810@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> >Geoff is the RFCologist in this, and he says the question actually does not
> >seem to have a well-defined answer...
>
> Geoff has consulted the Holy Writs again, at length, and says that to his
> astonishment, for once they actually appear to agree:  white space is not
> legal in Message-IDs.
>
> There remains the question of what to *do* about such a Message-ID, given
> our preference for tolerance.

This came up about a year ago when there were a flurry of whitespace
problems including, if I remember, a really ugly one with a trailing
tab character, that caused messly looping problems.

I patched inews here to check for nasty message-ids, print a message about
obscene characters and toss the article.

It is *not* safe to improve the message-id and pass it on.  It may be
safe to accept and use the non-legal message-id, but I'm not sure that
passing known tainted data to your neighbor is such a good idea.

Such message-id's are not frequent, they are ususally the result of
atricles getting munged or one site that screwed up a news configuration
or gateway function, and it's best to make such sites fix the problem.