[comp.sources.d] flex question: yy_act used before set

jwp@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Jeffrey W Percival) (09/22/89)

I tried using flex instead of lex, and tried lint on my lex.yy.c file.
It said (among other things) that yy_act may be used before set.  A
look at lex.yy.c shows that this is the case.

What's the deal here?
--
Jeff Percival (jwp@larry.sal.wisc.edu)

vern@bifrost.cs.cornell.edu (Vern Paxson) (09/22/89)

In article <732@larry.sal.wisc.edu> jwp@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Jeffrey W Percival) writes:
>I tried using flex instead of lex, and tried lint on my lex.yy.c file.
>It said (among other things) that yy_act may be used before set.  A
>look at lex.yy.c shows that this is the case.
>
>What's the deal here?

I believe this is completely harmless (i.e., the variable is actually
never used before it is set).  I say "believed" because I could not
get it to reproduce using the current version of flex, though I remember
seeing it in the past and convincing myself that it was OK.  If you
feel pretty certain that the variable *is* getting used before it's
set, please email me the flex input and output and I'll have a look
at it.

		Vern

	Vern Paxson			      vern@cs.cornell.edu
	Computer Science Dept.		      decvax!cornell!vern
	Cornell University