[comp.sources.d] JetRoff Prerequisites

tim@gvlf9-e.gvl.unisys.com (Timothy Scharping) (09/22/89)

	I just ftp'd JetRoff from uunet and found that the README calls
out the program Documenters Workbench version 2.0 (DWB 2.0) as a
prerequisite.  Where does one get a copy of DWB???  Is it public domain???

	Any information on this will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Much thanks--
	--tim
Timothy Scharping       Internet: tim@GVL.Unisys.COM
Unisys Corporation	UUCP: ...!uunet!lgnp1!gvlv2!tim
Paoli, PA  19301              ...!{gatech,purdue}!psuvax1!burdvax!gvlv2!tim

rick@pcrat.uucp (Rick Richardson) (09/23/89)

In article <336@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM> tim@gvlf9.gvl.unisys.com (Timothy Scharping) writes:

>out the program Documenters Workbench version 2.0 (DWB 2.0) as a
>prerequisite.  Where does one get a copy of DWB???  Is it public domain???

DWB 2.0, a.k.a. Text Processing System, a.k.a. Text Processing Workbench,
a.k.a. Device Independent troff, a.k.a. ditroff is an AT&T product
that most System V vendors make available as an unbundled part of
their UNIX offerings.  There have been three important AT&T releases
of troff: C/A/T troff (the original), DWB 1.0, and DWB 2.0.  JetRoff 2.6
works best with the latter, OK with the middle one, and not at all
with the first (except that there are a few C/A/T to ditroff converters
floating around).  There's also a DWB 3.0 that is used inside of AT&T.
JetRoff 2.6 works with that, according to AT&T'ers, but I don't know if its
available outside of AT&T.

There's also a slew of third party DWB vendors, Urban Applied Science,
Elan, Image Network, Textware, SoftQuad, come to mind.  These outfits
will sell you DWB's that range from 'virgin' to heavily modified, at
prices that vary accordingly.  Apparently, at least three of these
vendors do not have decent HP printer support, as we've got customers
who have bought troff from those vendors, thrown away the vendors'
postprocessor, and use JetRoff 2.6 to do the postprocessing.

The GNU project is working on 'groff', a copyleft version of troff.
I think its in early alpha test right now.

--
Rick Richardson |       Looking for FAX software for UNIX ??????        mention
PC Research,Inc.|                  WE'RE SHIPPING			 your