[comp.sources.d] Production perl 3.0 available

The production version of perl 3.0 is available by anonymous FTP from
jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov (128.149.1.143), directory pub/perl.3.0/kits@0.

It will also appear soon in comp.sources.unix.

If you need it mailed to you, I will be out on vacation for a week, so
don't expect it right away.

Larry Wall
lwall@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov

jgreely@oz.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (10/19/89)

In article <6277@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> lwall@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV
 (Larry Wall) writes:
>The production version of perl 3.0 is available by anonymous FTP from
>jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov (128.149.1.143), directory pub/perl.3.0/kits@0.

...also on tut.cis.ohio-state.edu, in pub/perl/3.0/kits@0, and, thanks
to the miracle of NFS, available for anonymous UUCP from osu-cis, in
the directory ~/perl/3.0/kits@0, as perl.kit.01.Z through
perl.kit.24.Z.
-=-
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)

wescott@Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (10/19/89)

In article <JGREELY.89Oct18221305@oz.cis.ohio-state.edu> J Greely <jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
> ...also on tut.cis.ohio-state.edu, in pub/perl/3.0/kits@0, and, thanks
> to the miracle of NFS, available for anonymous UUCP from osu-cis, in
> the directory ~/perl/3.0/kits@0, as perl.kit.01.Z through
> perl.kit.24.Z.

I think you mean perl.kit01.Z through perl.kit24.Z

--
	-Mike Wescott
	 mike.wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) (10/20/89)

Larry Wall:
) If you need it mailed to you, I will be out on vacation for a week, so
) don't expect it right away.

Deja vu!  Does he *always* take a vacation when he finishes a release?
Or does he always finish his release before his vacation time comes up?

				irrelevantly,
				Matt Crawford

jgreely@oz.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (10/20/89)

In article <1764@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM> wescott@Columbia.NCR.COM
 (Mike Wescott) writes:
>I think you mean perl.kit01.Z through perl.kit24.Z

Teach *me* to type with one finger.  Yes, that's what I meant.

By the way, if anyone's interested in a double-sided, two-up, troffed
copy of the perl manual, suitable for stapling in the middle and
calling a booklet, let me know.  It's one of my more twisted Perl and
PostScript hacks.
-=-
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (10/21/89)

As quoted from <5908@tank.uchicago.edu> by matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford):
+---------------
| Larry Wall:
| ) If you need it mailed to you, I will be out on vacation for a week, so
| ) don't expect it right away.
|
| Deja vu!  Does he *always* take a vacation when he finishes a release?
| Or does he always finish his release before his vacation time comes up?
+---------------

Chances are, after he finishes a release he *needs* a vacation.  After all, I
doubt JPL pays him to develop Perl, rn, patch....

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@NCoast.ORG
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu bsa@telotech.uucp

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (10/24/89)

[where does the comp.lang.perl vote stand?]

system is a sun 4/60 running sunos 4.0.3 w/the uunet sun-fixes
version of libc.so that has name server support in it.

the perl is 'production 3.0' ftp'd from ohio state.

perl on this system complies OK but refuses to link with the
error from ld about undefined symbol -- _gethostent.

I think this problem flew by the list once before -- something
about problems with different versions of things in the
static & dynamic libraries -- but I lost it between the
time I saw it and the time I need it.

thanks.

--Ed

don@zippy.eecs.umich.edu (Don Winsor) (10/24/89)

In article <10077@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu> emv@math.lsa.umich.edu
(Edward Vielmetti) writes:
> ... system is a sun 4/60 running sunos 4.0.3 w/the uunet
> sun-fixes version of libc.so that has name server support in it.
> ... perl on this system complies OK but refuses to link with
> the error from ld about undefined symbol -- _gethostent.
> I think this problem flew by the list once
> before -- something about libraries -- but I lost it
> between the time I saw it and the time I need it.

I ran into this problem too.  The key is that the version of
libc.so that has the name server support in it doesn't have
the gethostent subroutine, since gethostent inherently refers
to an /etc/hosts file and not to a name server.  The cure is
that when you run Configure and it asks if you want to edit
config.sh, go ahead and edit it (!vi config.sh).  Find the line:

d_gethent='define'

and change it to:

d_gethent='undef'

This will build a version of perl that doesn't reference the
nonexistent gethostent subroutine.  The one other quirk I found
with perl on a Sun-4 is that the file "walk.c" in the "x2p"
subdirectory wont compile if you use a -O3 or a -O4 optimization
level.  I worked around it by compiling this at -O2 manually, and
then running make with -O4 optimization to compile everythine else.