[comp.sources.d] status of 4.3 math library

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (10/23/89)

>Is the 4.3 BSD math library freely redistributable? I've seen it on some
>comp.sources.unix archive sites, but others don't have it or have the
>legend "NOT AVAILABLE" in the index.

NO!

The bulk of the library was written by people at UCB -- all but three
functions.  Unfortunately, the UCB authors were NOT McKusicK, Bostic,
and the usual crew.  Among other things, this meant they were much
less careful about copyrights, code licensing, and so on, so they just
slapped THEIR copyright on all the code, and turned it over for release.

As I result, the person who submitted it to me was led astray, so was I,
and so were some archivers.  There have been a couple of posts that have
since explained the situation.

We would all appreciate it if you would forward this message on to any
archive maintainers where you see the 4.3 mathlib.

At some point there MAY be a reimplementation and a distribution, but
not yet.

Thanks for your cooperation.
	/Rich $alz, comp.sources.unix moderator
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (10/24/89)

In article <2050@prune.bbn.com>, rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
> >Is the 4.3 BSD math library freely redistributable? I've seen it on some
> >comp.sources.unix archive sites, but others don't have it or have the
> >legend "NOT AVAILABLE" in the index.
>
> NO!
>
> The bulk of the library was written by people at UCB -- all but three
> functions.  Unfortunately, the UCB authors were NOT McKusicK, Bostic,
> and the usual crew.  Among other things, this meant they were much
> less careful about copyrights, code licensing, and so on, so they just
> slapped THEIR copyright on all the code, and turned it over for release.

Not quite that gross ...

The original plan seems to have been to write a complete replacement
library and the documentation (manual) was written reflecting this
but the project didn't get completed and a few AT&T functions were
left in. But the manual didn't get changed.

The manual announcement stated that the math library was freely
distributable and nothing indicated to the contrary.

Unfortunately, the AT&T code which formed the basis for the BSD
development was distributed under trade secret restrictions and
so didn't have any copyright notices. Thus the precautionary
check for AT&T copyright notices didn't show any restriction so
out it all went as authorized by the printed documentation.

               ^--------^ yours truly, in case you hadn't figured it out

> At some point there MAY be a reimplementation and a distribution, but
> not yet.

I still have hopes.

 Thos Sumner       Internet: thos@cca.ucsf.edu
 (The I.G.)        UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos
                   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 USA

I hear nothing in life is certain but death and taxes -- and they're
working on death.

#include <disclaimer.std>