[comp.sources.d] Automatic archiving of moderated sources newsgroups ?

michael@uni-paderborn.de (Michael Schmidt) (10/26/89)

Is there anywhere a tool, which does a reasonable archiving of e.g.
the newsgroups comp.sources.{unix,misc}. There structure is so regular
and the headers are so descriptive, that it should be possible to
automatically archive the incoming news in a easier accessible
directory hierarchy.

	Anybody?
--
    Michael Schmidt, Universitaet-GH Paderborn, FB 17, Warburger Str.100,
                     D-4790 Paderborn, West Germany

kent@ssbell.UUCP (Kent Landfield) (10/27/89)

In article <698@corona.pb> michael@uni-paderborn.de (Michael Schmidt) writes:
>Is there anywhere a tool, which does a reasonable archiving of e.g.
>the newsgroups comp.sources.{unix,misc}. There structure is so regular
>and the headers are so descriptive, that it should be possible to
>automatically archive the incoming news in a easier accessible
>directory hierarchy.

The rkive package was initially designed for archiving comp.sources.all
newsgroups.  It does however, support archiving of non-moderated,
non-sources newsgroups.

rkive is used to archive the USENET sources groups to an alternate
location as specified in an rkive configuration file.  Archives can be
maintained in one of four ways currently, Archive-Name, Volume-Issue,
Article Number and Chronological archiving.

By means of a configuration file, the archive administrator is able to
control how archiving is performed.  The administrator can specify on a
per newsgroup basis:

   o The type of the archiving, such as Volume-Issue
     Archive-Name, Article Number or Chronological archiving,
   o Where the newsgroup archive is to be stored on disk,
   o The location of log file for the newsgroup,
   o The format of the logfile records,
   o The location of index file for the newsgroup,
   o The format of the index file records,
   o A list of users to be sent mail when an article is archived,
   o The owner/group and modes of each archived member, and
   o Whether the archived members should be compressed or not.
   o How to deal with REPOSTs to archived members,
   o How to deal with patches to posted sources (only in
     newsgroups that support the Patch-To: line),

It is intended that rkive be run by cron on a daily basis.  In this manner,
the sources are archived and available for retrieval from the archives on the
day it reaches the machine instead of having to wait for expire -a to run.
It allows for the archives to be managed by the same or different people
(or accounts).  It supports the building of indexes for later review or to
interface to the netlib type of mail retrieval software.  It also supports
mailing notifications of the archiving to a specified list of users or
aliases.  The indexes and log file record formats are specifiable by the
person configuring the rkive configuration file.

Rkive can be found in comp.sources.unix volume19/
comp.sources.unix/volume19/v19i098    Usenet sources archiver, Part01/04
comp.sources.unix/volume19/v19i099    Usenet sources archiver, Part02/04
comp.sources.unix/volume19/v19i100    Usenet sources archiver, Part03/04
comp.sources.unix/volume19/v19i101    Usenet sources archiver, Part04/04

Currently there has only been one patch issued. There is another patch
in the works that should be released within the next month. The initial
patch has been sent to c.s.u to be posted. If anyone needs it before it
is posted to the net, send me some email and I will mail you out a copy.

				-Kent+
---
Kent Landfield               UUCP:     kent@ssbell
Sterling Software FSG/IMD    INTERNET: kent@ssbell.uu.net
1404 Ft. Crook Rd. South     Phone:    (402) 291-8300
Bellevue, NE. 68005-2969     FAX:      (402) 291-4362