[comp.sources.d] window - the 410X window manager

johnhi@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (John Higley) (10/28/89)

Keith Packard did a program called window for the 410X terminals.  I cannot
remember where I picked it up but I cannot get it to run.  I am missing one
of the utilities (lw.c) and there is a libwin directory that never gets
referenced.

Does anyone have any knowledge about this program?  Or, is Keith still
around?

Thanks,
					John Higley
					Tektronix, Inc.
					Component Engineering Group
					johnhi@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM

bart@videovax.tv.tek.com (Bart Massey) (10/30/89)

In article <2783@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM> johnhi@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (John Higley) writes:
> Keith Packard did a program called window for the 410X terminals.  I cannot
> remember where I picked it up but I cannot get it to run.  I am missing one
> of the utilities (lw.c) and there is a libwin directory that never gets
> referenced.
>
> Does anyone have any knowledge about this program?  Or, is Keith still
> around?

On behalf of both my good friend Mr. Keith, and myself:  AIIGGH :-) !  Yes,
I've seen it run -- he wrote it a *long* time ago for his home 4105.  For
those of you who are wondering whether you are interested in this (which is
why I posted the reply instead of mailing it), you aren't.  Although it *is*
probably the best UNIX window manager ever written for the 4105 :-) :-).
Keith Packard is now with the MIT X Consortium (writing *real* UNIX window
managers :-) -- try "keith@expo.lcs.mit.edu".  I think he still has the bits
floating around on his home 6200 somewhere -- maybe you can persuade him to
dredge them up.  I'll ask him about it when I talk to him next...  What fun!

					Bart Massey
					TV Systems Engineering
					M.S. 58-639
					627-5320