[comp.sources.d] MACROMODEL???

bert@opusc.CS.SCAROLINA.EDU (Bert Still) (11/22/89)

Well, I thought I was unique, but it appears I was mistaken.  Today
I received a letter from a Dr. L. Cazaux at Universite Paul Sabatier
in France inquiring about a software package directed towards
Molecular Mechanism and Molecular Modeling that he thought *I* had
written.  This surprised me quite a bit, so I thought I would turn
to the vast resources of the net.  Does anyone know anything about
a package called MACROMODEL?  The letter was addressed to Professor
Still at the University of Columbia, Columbia, SC, USA.  Is there
a Professor Still at Coulmbia University in New York?

I probably shouldn't have cross-posted this to 5 newsgroups, but I
didn't know where a chemistry application question would be best
suited.  So, for those of you to whom this doesn't apply, I hope
this might provide you some small amusement.  And for anyone else,
I would appreciate any information that I could send to Dr Cazaux.

Thanks*1E+06,
		bert@cs.scarolina.edu

jtwarden@pawl.rpi.edu (Joseph T. Warden) (11/23/89)

In <229@opusc.CS.SCAROLINA.EDU> bert@opusc.CS.SCAROLINA.EDU (Bert Still) writes:

>Well, I thought I was unique, but it appears I was mistaken.  Today
>I received a letter from a Dr. L. Cazaux at Universite Paul Sabatier
>in France inquiring about a software package directed towards
>Molecular Mechanism and Molecular Modeling that he thought *I* had
>written.  This surprised me quite a bit, so I thought I would turn
>to the vast resources of the net.  Does anyone know anything about
>a package called MACROMODEL?  The letter was addressed to Professor
>Still at the University of Columbia, Columbia, SC, USA.  Is there
>a Professor Still at Coulmbia University in New York?

MacroModel is a development effort of Clark Still's lab at Columbia
University - and is a molecular mechanics package designed primarily
for DEC VAXen. For information contact Professor Clark Still,
Department of Chemistry, Columbia Univ., NYC, NY.

Joseph Warden
Department of Chemistry and Center for Biophysics
Rensselaer

dan@ccnysci.UUCP (Dan Schlitt) (12/07/89)

In article <229@opusc.CS.SCAROLINA.EDU> bert@opusc.CS.SCAROLINA.EDU (Bert Still) writes:
:
:
[...]

The NYSERNet whitepages pilot project is desinged to give answers
to questions like this.  Columbia University is a part of the pilot
project.

A command like

/usr/ucb/whois -h wp.nyser.net "still -org columbia"

Will tell you that Prof. Still is at Columbia (unless the request
times out because of a slow Directory Service Agent).

It is still an experiment, but if it works and organizations
participate it will be a great service.

--
Dan Schlitt                        Manager, Science Division Computer Facility
dan@sci.ccny.cuny.edu              City College of New York