[comp.sources.d] ASCII -> Postscript Filter

howard@hasse.ericsson.se (Howard Gayle) (12/18/89)

(I'm moving this thread to comp.sources.d.)

In article <JGREELY.89Dec16152751@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu>, jgreely@giza (J Greely) writes:
>Note that you also get, at no extra charge, a complete software
>installation philosophy!  Wear it to parties!  Amuse your friends!
>Frighten children! (not that it's a *bad* system, necessarily, but
>it's rather surprising to find such an amazing amount of extraneous
>stuff in a source posting)

Every source posting with a makefile comes with some implicit
assumptions about the target environment.  Almost always, the
assumptions are that there is one target, and it's the one the
source is on.  But today, many UNIX machines are in networks of
machines with different architectures and different operating
systems.  We at Ericsson have some tools to help manage software
in such an environment.  The tools are flexible, so installation
on a single, stand-alone machine is just a special case.  The
README gives an example.  These tools may frighten children, but
I'm confident that adults can handle them.
--
Howard Gayle
TN/ETX/TT/HL