[comp.sources.d] Can smail3.0 send stuff to programs?

rog@bongo.rtech.COM (Roger Taranto) (12/22/89)

In the sendmail alias file, you can mail to programs by puting in an
alias with a pipe, e.g.,
foo:	"| cat >> /usr/adm/foo"

However, you cannot do this with smail2.5.  Has this capability been
added to smail3.0?

Thanks,
-Roger
{mtxinu,pacbell,amdahl,sun,hoptoad}!rtech!rog

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (12/23/89)

According to rog@bongo.rtech.COM (Roger Taranto):
>In the sendmail alias file, you can mail to programs by puting in an
>alias with a pipe, e.g.,
>foo:	"| cat >> /usr/adm/foo"
>
>However, you cannot do this with smail2.5.  Has this capability been
>added to smail3.0?

Yes.

However, if you already have Smail 2.5, and pipe aliases are the Feature
You Need, then get Deliver 2.0 and you'll be in hog heaven.  Available at
finer archive sites everywhere.  :-)

In article <4349@rtech.rtech.com> rog@bongo.UUCP (Roger Taranto) writes:

>In the sendmail alias file, you can mail to programs by puting in an
>alias with a pipe, e.g.,
>foo:	"| cat >> /usr/adm/foo"
>
>However, you cannot do this with smail2.5.  Has this capability been
>added to smail3.0?

Yes.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]

rolff@mosh.UUCP (Anders Rolff) (12/23/89)

rog@bongo.rtech.COM (Roger Taranto) writes:

>In the sendmail alias file, you can mail to programs by puting in an
>alias with a pipe, e.g.,
>foo:	"| cat >> /usr/adm/foo"

>However, you cannot do this with smail2.5.  Has this capability been
>added to smail3.0?

Yepp.

bblue@crash.cts.com (Bill Blue) (12/23/89)

In article <25925CC6.9563@ateng.com> chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to rog@bongo.rtech.COM (Roger Taranto):
>>In the sendmail alias file, you can mail to programs by puting in an
>>alias with a pipe, e.g.,
>>foo:	"| cat >> /usr/adm/foo"
>>
>>However, you cannot do this with smail2.5.  Has this capability been
>>added to smail3.0?
>
>Yes.
>
>However, if you already have Smail 2.5, and pipe aliases are the Feature
>You Need, then get Deliver 2.0 and you'll be in hog heaven.  Available at
>finer archive sites everywhere.  :-)

Maybe my smail 2.5 is different than everybody else's, but the above
works just fine.  In fact, you can do limited piping without even
an alias by specifying things a certain way in the To: field.

The smail 2.5 I'm using is off the net, with Chip's Xenix patches applied.

--Bill