[comp.sources.d] Undigestifiers Considered Harmful

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (12/28/89)

Chip Rosenthal recently posted an 'undigestifier' to comp.sources.misc:
it takes 'digest' articles (e.g., mail list gateway digests) and breaks
them up into individual news articles for feeding to 'inews -h'.  There
have been other such posted in the past, also.

I know Chip means well, and that under appropriately rigid control this
can be a useful tool.  But the overall effect on the net is pernicious,
because *DISTRIBUTION* of the broken-up digest articles is left up to
the discretion of each undigestifying site.

Unless distribution is forced 'local', the effect of running an
undigestifier on a core Usenet newsgroup article in digest format is to
inflict a maze of twisty little reposts, all alike, on the rest of the
net.  All of the Message ID's will be new, so the history file check in
B/C news will be of no avail in weeding out the clones.  Depending on
the time lag of the digest, the MIRV'd articles may disappear during the
nightly expire, but probably not before being passed along to
neighboring sites.

For a given digest, there will be as many MIRV events as there are
unprotected undigestifiers running.  Given the size of Usenet this could
be awesome should programs like Chip's attain widespread popularity.

Unprotected undigestifiers could easily lurk for some time on sites
where digest articles are not normally seen in most groups received.  A
'stray digest' months later could spawn hundreds of unwanted articles.

Lest folks suspect I'm being unrealistically alarmist here, exactly this
happened in rec.photo a few weeks ago.  Someone posted a digest they'd
been saving on 3D cameras, and >BOOM<!  we were cleaning little twisty
sub-postings out of the newsgroup for days afterward, from the half
dozen or so sites already running SOMEONE'S undigestifier.

At the very least, existing 'undigestify' sources should be patched to
force 'Distribution: local' as a default, so that people who don't
understand what they're doing don't hurt the rest of us.
--
"Nature loves a vacuum.  Digital    \O@/    Tom Neff
  doesn't." -- DEC sales letter     /@O\    tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

chip@chinacat.Lonestar.ORG (Chip Rosenthal) (12/30/89)

In article <15037@bfmny0.UU.NET> tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
>Chip Rosenthal recently posted an 'undigestifier' to comp.sources.misc [...]
>I know Chip means well, and that under appropriately rigid control this
>can be a useful tool.  But the overall effect on the net is pernicious,
>because *DISTRIBUTION* of the broken-up digest articles is left up to
>the discretion of each undigestifying site.

I'll cede this point and possibly I didn't consider it strongly enough
when posting, but I don't think the problem is quite as extreme as suggested.
I'll mention why not in a moment, but right at the start I'll say that the
workaround would be to place the line:

    HDR_ADD	Distribution	local

in the definitions file (or use a newsgroup which is only distributed locally).

Realistically, if somebody should install this thing, say on comp.risks,
and direct postings to the net, I don't think there will be a major meltdown.
First off, "brkdig" is pretty picky about checking the digest format, and
dying with complaints when discrepancies are found.  So you wouldn't run
into a situation where, for example, two sites were bouncing each others
postings back into the net.  Worst case, I expect that isolated sites
will occasionally munch up and spit out a digest.  This will probably
happen only once, due to the usually efficiency of flame generation on
the net!

Second, I think the configuration file, a readable text file, is simple
enough such that drastic mistakes which cause this sort of problem will
be reduced.

Finally, I don't know if the risk from "brkdig" is nearly as great as
some of the other things out there which hiccup from time to time.  Most
notable are some of the gateways such as notes->usenet and fido->usenet.
There things become aggravating from time to time, but they haven't brought
the net to it's knees.  At least with "brkdig", you still have accountability
because it goes through inews and there provides a "Sender" line.

I don't follow rec.photo, so I don't know about the incident there.  I'm
not sure if such a problem would be created by "brkdig".  I would tend to
think not.  The offending sysadmin would be innundated with messages like:

    couldn't locate end of digest header
      ABORTING - please process digest manually

from all of the non-digest messages.  It's hard to forget that such a
thing is there.

I think "brkdig" is a useful tool.  I'm not sorry I posted it.  But in
retrospect, maybe a word of caution and a safer example configuration
might have been warranted.