[comp.sources.d] Re^2: Paying for Shareware

s64421@zeus.irc.usq.oz (house ron) (02/22/90)

roy@comcon.UUCP (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:

>In article <17933@rpp386.cactus.org>, jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>> In article <310@comcon.UUCP> roy@comcon.UUCP (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:
>> >base fact remains. No license doesn't mean free-fr-all, it means "no
>> >license".
>>
>> This is patently false.  Without a license you are free to do anything
>> not prohibited by copyright law.

>The consensus seems to be pointing toward shareware limitations being
>unenforceable. So, without the option of shareware, what options do I
>have a as small-scale developer?  I might not be employed by a large,

I don't know about the US, but in Australia, making the copy from disk
to RAM for execution needs permission, so without a licence, execution
is illegal.

Another way to go might be as follows:  I make the first copy, give it to
you on condition that ... blah blah ... and that you impose a similar
condition on anyone else you give a copy to.  I.e., the copies are only
given to those who agree to the conditions.  Having agreed, if they
break 'em, you sue 'em.

Ron House.   (s64421@zeus.irc.usq.oz.au)
(By post: Info Tech, U.C.S.Q. Toowoomba, Australia. 4350)