[comp.sources.d] Shrink-wrap licences

mjm@foster.avid.oz (Mike McBain) (02/23/90)

In article <51005@microsoft.UUCP>, bruceki@microsoft.UUCP (Bruce KING) writes:

>   The shrink-wrap license has been tested in court and has held up.
> Licenses that are clearly visible before opening the package are considered
> valid licenses.  Microsoft has won at least one case that I know of.

Funny, that. In Australia, shrink-wrap licences are contrary to our
Trade Practices Act. Microsoft, amongst others, was told by the Trade
Practices Commission not to include such licences in its products.

Australian consumers have the right to goods which are no faulty. If they
are, or if their capabilities are misrepresented, there is a right of
refund guaranteed by statute. Of course, things are different in
the USA 8-).