[comp.sources.d] Keeping shareware out of the core newsgroups

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (02/22/90)

In <G8S1667xds13@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>If Rich wants to keep shareware out of comp.sources.unix, that's his
>perogative. But really he should follow the lead of the people who distribute
>X and keep other restricted software out of there as well.

The "rules" for copyrighted software in comp.sources.unix are remarkably
simple:
	Any reader must be able to compile and use the source anywhere
	they want, without having to pay for it.  They must be able to
	pass it along to someone else.  There must be no time limits
	(archive sites are forever).

--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.

salvis@iam.unibe.ch (Hans Salvisberg) (02/23/90)

In article <10252@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:

>I don't want to pay to move shareware around, even if it's source code
>shareware.  If your product isn't good enough to *inspire me* to send
>you money or improve your software, don't badger me to pay for it.

Come on, did Lotus 1-2-3 inspire you to send your money? If you use it
and it serves your needs, I'd think it's good enough to make you willing
to pay a modest registration fee. If the author were Lotus you'd have
to fork over five times as much!

Hans Salvisberg

salvis@ahorn.iam.unibe.ch