[comp.sources.d] perl 3.0PL12 on ULTRIX 3.1 -- anyone got it compiled?

peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Leonard J. Peirce) (03/06/90)

I just patched perl 3.0 up to patchlevel 12 and tried to compile it on
ULTRIX 3.1 but got syntax errors in cmd.c.  Has anyone got it built?  Did
I miss something?
--
Leonard J. Peirce               Internet:  peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University                peirce@gw.wmich.edu

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (03/06/90)

In article <1990Mar5.162315.25784@gumby.cc.wmich.edu>, peirce@gumby (Leonard J. Peirce) writes:
| I just patched perl 3.0 up to patchlevel 12 and tried to compile it on
| ULTRIX 3.1 but got syntax errors in cmd.c.  Has anyone got it built?  Did
| I miss something?

I just posted a fix for Ultrix2.0 that might also work on 3.1 (don't
have any 3.1 machines around here to try in on).  Check it out in
comp.lang.perl.  Oh heck, I'll just tell you.  On my machine, the
following 'ed' commands (translate that into your favorite editor)
will do the trick at the 'edit config.sh via shell escape here:'
prompt:

	/ndbm/s/define/undef/              <<<--- this may not be necessary
	/volatile/s/define/undef/          <<<--- this is probably the problem

Just another Perl hacker,
--
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |

peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Leonard Peirce) (03/06/90)

In article <1990Mar5.182642.23419@iwarp.intel.com> merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) writes:
>I just posted a fix for Ultrix2.0 that might also work on 3.1 (don't
>have any 3.1 machines around here to try in on).
> [...]
>	/ndbm/s/define/undef/              <<<--- this may not be necessary
>	/volatile/s/define/undef/          <<<--- this is probably the problem

The problem is indeed VOLATILE.  #undef it in config.h and it builds just fine
on ULTRIX 3.1.  Thanks to Craig Counterman (ccount@athena.mit.edu) for filling
me in, too.

I already sent a message to Larry Wall about the fix.

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (03/07/90)

In article <1990Mar5.182642.23419@iwarp.intel.com> merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) writes:
 `On my machine, the
 `following 'ed' commands (translate that into your favorite editor)
 `will do the trick at the 'edit config.sh via shell escape here:'
 `prompt:
 `  /volatile/s/define/undef/          <<<--- this is probably the problem

This is not needed if you use gcc w/o -traditional.

Just another perl, err... okay, copyrighted, I know :-)

Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv