[comp.sources.d] Garbage showing up in my FTP areas

karl@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (03/12/90)

I am getting really, seriously irritated with the children out there.
At the moment, the species of child with which I find myself at odds
is that which feels that my anonymous FTP areas are its personal
playground, and that dropping dungheaps in my backyard is its
God-given right.

In recent memory, one of the abject morons who had the "Dave Rhodes"
ponzi scheme files left copies on my systems.  Just now, I was
informed that someone left a file "sex-bbs.doc" lying around, two
copies no less.  This file (included below; read 'em and weep,
CalTech) purports to describe a BBS system known as "SEXY"; it seems
not actually to exist, but hell, what do I know about it anyway.

There have been a half dozen or so similar little "gifts" left in my
FTP areas between those two.  Most have not irritated/offended me
quite so much.

To any and all who have, or support, this tendency:

Get the hell out of my systems, you insignificant dirtbag.  My
systems' FTP areas exist as a favor to a huge mass of otherwise-
gracious users out there who find the stuff available on my discs to
be useful, productive, valuable items.  If you've got something you
want to put here for access by others, the very LEAST you can do is
TELL ME what you've left here.  Far preferably, you can damn well ASK
ME whether I think your intended gift to humanity is suitable for
inclusion in my archives.  I don't give a fat hairy damn whether YOU
think it's suitable; these are MY systems, MY discs, _I_ am
responsible for how this space is used, _I_ am accountable to my
superiors for that use, and I'll not suffer any inconsequential
jackass to unload his garbage truck in my driveway without my
permission.

Shove off, fools.  Grow up.  Learn some respect.

Goddamnably angry,
--karl

"sex-bbs.doc":
----------------

----------------

steve@wattres.UUCP (Steve Watt) (03/12/90)

In article <KARL.90Mar11180312@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
>I am getting really, seriously irritated with the children out there.
>At the moment, the species of child with which I find myself at odds
>is that which feels that my anonymous FTP areas are its personal
>playground, and that dropping dungheaps in my backyard is its
>God-given right.

Had it occurred to you to make the each directory in the entire hierarchy
read-only?  I agree that it takes an immature .* (fill in your own regexp)
for this kind of behavior, but leaving write-access available to anonymous
FTP directories seems hazardous.

--
Steve Watt
...!claris!wattres!steve		wattres!steve@claris.com also works

steve@wattres.UUCP writes:
   Had it occurred to you to make the each directory in the entire hierarchy
   read-only?  I agree that it takes an immature .* (fill in your own regexp)
   for this kind of behavior, but leaving write-access available to anonymous
   FTP directories seems hazardous.

You miss the point.  People _do_ leave legitimate, valuable, useful
things in my FTP areas from time to time.  Then they usually have the
common decency to tell me so that I can do appropriate things with
them, e.g., move things to another part of the archive, update
GNU.how-to-get, create symlinks into osu-cis!~/, etc ad nauseum.  I
want it writable; but I don't want the privilege abused.

--karl

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (03/13/90)

karl@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) rants and raves:

[Stop leaving stuff in my FTP directory!]

Stop yelling at us and protect the directory!

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey          sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean
***  "Well, heck's farr, Jim, it gives mah computer sumthin' to do when

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (03/13/90)

One approach, frequently used by bulletin board operators, is to make the
'upload' area write-only for the public.  Stuff is moved into public
download visibility only at the admin's discretion.

This way, you may still get 'SEXY BBS' notices uploaded, but you don't
have to worry about your reputation suffering as colleagues notice them
before you do.  Nor does the uploader get the satisfaction of seeing
his 'contribution' added to your collection.

I'm not sure whether FTP supports this approach directly, but at worst
you could have a 2-minute daemon that moves new files from /ftp/tmp
to somewhere private.

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (03/13/90)

Karl,

Not meaning to criticize or anything, but if you leave
a world-writable anon FTP area available for just anyone
to drop things into & immediately retreive, you're asking
for whatever you get.

I believe I've seen modifications to ftpd (somewhere) that
make the writable area unreadable, i.e. submissions get
dropped in blind and there's no way to retreive them until
they get moved into the public area.

--Ed