[comp.sources.d] Stevie looking for ascii.h

paul@actrix.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (03/14/90)

Hi,
I pulled stevie off the net, but when i tried to compile under 386/ix,
it choked because it couldn't find:

ascii.h

Now I could probably guess what's in there (#defines for NUL, SOH etc.)
but I was wondering why it was left out?  Is this a Xenixism, or a
BSDism?

--
Paul Gillingwater, paul@actrix.co.nz

jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) (03/14/90)

In article <1990Mar14.002121.3636@actrix.co.nz> paul@actrix.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:
}Hi,
}I pulled stevie off the net, but when i tried to compile under 386/ix,
}it choked because it couldn't find:
..... etc ...
Speaking of Stevie - I have 3.69a and I really need to get it
to use Terminfo rather than Termcap because at least of half of
the termcap entries on SCO Xenix 2.3.2 are riddled with errors.
(ie: when you use "ansi", the arrow keys don't work). Thanks
--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Prototype Computer Conferencing System  =
-  1-800-825-3069, 300/1200/2400/9600 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'    -

jrh@mustang.dell.com (James R. Howard) (03/15/90)

Gillingwater) writes:
> Hi,
> I pulled stevie off the net, but when i tried to compile under 386/ix,
> it choked because it couldn't find:
>
> ascii.h
>
> Now I could probably guess what's in there (#defines for NUL, SOH etc.)
> but I was wondering why it was left out?  Is this a Xenixism, or a
> BSDism?

It is in fact in ISC 386/ix, in /usr/include/sys/ascii.h.  The problem is
the file has A_NUL, A_SOH, etc.  You need to make a copy in the build
directory, then go in and edit out all of the A_ strings from the file.

James Howard
..uunet!dell!mustang!jrh   or    jrh@mustang.dell.com

The opinions stated are my own, and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of my employer, or anyone else.

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (03/15/90)

In article <2983@uudell.dell.com> jrh@mustang.dell.com (James R. Howard) writes:
>In article <1990Mar14.002121.3636@actrix.co.nz>, paul@actrix.co.nz (Paul
>Gillingwater) writes:
>> I pulled stevie off the net, but when i tried to compile under 386/ix,
>> it choked because it couldn't find:
>> ascii.h
>
>It is in fact in ISC 386/ix, in /usr/include/sys/ascii.h.  The problem is
>the file has A_NUL, A_SOH, etc.  You need to make a copy in the build
>directory, then go in and edit out all of the A_ strings from the file.

Any relation between the two is coincidental.

The UNIX/386 ascii.h defines A_HT for horizontal tab.  Stevie wants
TAB instead of HT.

Stevie also wants a CTRL('x') macro, which UNIX/386's ascii.h doesn't have.

I think the real answer is that ascii.h was just inadvertantly omitted
from this release.  It *was present* in a previous release.

However you can roll your own on UNIX/386 by editing sys/ascii.h
to create "ascii.h" as follows:

	s/A_//
	s/HT/TAB/

	#define CTRL(x) ((x) - '@')

--
Perestroika: could   \O\     Tom Neff
 it happen here?      \O\    uunet.uu.net!bfmny0!tneff

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (03/20/90)

In article <2983@uudell.dell.com> jrh@mustang.dell.com (James R. Howard) writes:
>> it choked because it couldn't find:
>>
>> ascii.h
>It is in fact in ISC 386/ix, in /usr/include/sys/ascii.h.  The problem is
>the file has A_NUL, A_SOH, etc.  You need to make a copy in the build
>directory, then go in and edit out all of the A_ strings from the file.

What about for the TC people? ... there is a reference (depandancy) on ascii.h
in the TC version of the makefile, but no such file (that I can see) is
supplied with TC2.0 ... now what?

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr