[comp.sources.d] "cops" and robbers

jef@well.sf.ca.us (Jef Poskanzer) (03/28/90)

The recent posting of "cops", a Unix security assessment tool, points
out once again how much of a Red Queen's Race the security business
is.  Anything that tells the good guys what holes to plug also tells
the bad guys what holes to use.  The good guys have to keep up on all
the latest security assessment tools just to stay even.

Did you know that this latest Internet cracker was using Matt Bishop's
deszip?

When possible, it's great to post info about how to plug a hole without
revealing how to use the hole.  CERT does this when they can.  But it's
not always possible.  When instructions for fixing a hole reveal how to
exploit the hole, it is necessary to broadcast the instructions, and IT
IS ALSO NECESSARY THAT WE ALL APPLY THEM.

Did you know that a year and a half after the Internet Worm, some
manufacturers are still shipping systems with a DEBUG-enabled
sendmail?

Anyway, I don't want to get this tired old discussion going again, I
just wanted to point out that now that "cops" has been posted, there is
a new minimum level for Unix security.
---
Jef

  Jef Poskanzer  jef@well.sf.ca.us  {ucbvax, apple, hplabs}!well!jef

russ@wpg.com (Russell Lawrence) (04/08/90)

In article <1110@rwing.UUCP>, pat@rwing.UUCP (Pat Myrto) writes:
> Naturally, with rwing currently in the 'podunk' category I have
> not been included on any of these mailing lists - like I said
> earlier, not even given courtesy of a reply to my queries - my
> knowlege is thus limited to the basics, and what I picked up from
> text books, etc.  as described above.

I share your lament.  Shortly after the Morris incident, I got
about a dozen calls from business people who wanted me to beef up
their systems security.  Being ignorant of the potential holes, I
found myself unable to provide any real assistance.  As a result
of their unassuaged fears, all of these sites have repeatedly
declined netnews and email connections that would have greatly
benefited the unix community in our area from the standpoint of
jobs, machine sales, information exchange, etc.

In a recent issue of the journal of the American Trial Lawyers
Association, the president of that organization pointed out that
the praise of "secrecy" and "secret knowledge" is one of the
major barriers to the progress of our society as a whole.  The
theory that secrecy or silence prevents problems from becoming
worse has been used before in many fields of endeavor, politics,
religion, health care, etc, and history has shown us that it
doesn't work.  The underlying psychology reminds me of a childish
ego game.

Oddly enough, the only serious criminal hacker I've ever known
personally was a young man with university affiliations that gave
him ready access to USG and BSD source.  It pisses me off that
this guy had access to information that is unavailable to me
because of the lame brain notion that people at large sites
have a greater need to know, or greater integrity.

Let me suggest that we start a new security mailing list based on
the premise that knowledge should be widely available.  I'm sure
we'll get enough subscribers and contributors to make the thing
worth while.

In addition, let's maintain an archive listing the "secret"
security mailing lists and their administrators and make this
list readily available to the press.  If/when one of my client's
machines is broken into, they may want to send sarcastic thank
you notes to the Reverend Guardians of Esoteric Knowledge.
--
Russell Lawrence, WP Group, New Orleans (504) 443-5000
russ@wpg.com   uunet!wpg!russ

pat@rwing.UUCP (Pat Myrto) (04/08/90)

In article <2258@wpg.com> russ@wpg.com (Russell Lawrence) writes:
} In article <1110@rwing.UUCP>, pat@rwing.UUCP (Pat Myrto) writes:
} >
} > [ ... description of small sites worthiness deleted ]
}
}  [ ... description of "benefits" to the net of secrecy deleted ]
}
[...]

AMEN!  I'll go for that! (surpressing a grin that goes past my ears).
Such a list would go a long way to helping smaller sites harden up,
and just possibly make it possible for some sites to get their
security level up to where they will be willing to devote some of
their disk space and CPU time to spreading the news and e-mail around.

Regarding the list of the cloak-and-dagger boys, it is indeed time
some of these folks, to some small extent, anyway, reap some of the
good will their attitudes has caused.  Seems the attitude is not
unlike the attitude one sees of many of our politicians these days
(everyone is stupid/untrustworthy except themselves...).  I'll leave
it as an excercise to the reader to figure out what side of the aisle
most of these critters sit on.  :-)

Thinking on this, perhaps this discussion should be moved over to
something like news.sysadm or such??  We seem to have digressed from
the subject of discussing the COPS package per se...

Anyway, I have set follow-ups in the header to go to news.sysadmin,
since that seems a closer fitting newsgroup.  If someone disagrees,
they can always edit the header ...

--
pat@rwing                                       (Pat Myrto),  Seattle, WA
                            ...!uunet!pilchuck!rwing!pat