[comp.sources.d] Two notes on exetoc posting to comp.sources.unix

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (04/13/90)

In article <13768@diamond.BBN.COM> mlandau@bbn.com (Matt Landau) writes:
>Two notes on the recent exetoc program posted to comp.sources.unix:
>  1.  Yes, I know the company name is spelled Exabyte.  So what?
                                               ^^^^^^^

But in article <2454@litchi.bbn.com>, he wrote:
>X * exetoc.c  --  A program to read, write, and rewrite tables of contents
>X * 		 on tapes in an exebyte tape drive.
				^^^^^^^
>X#define	IOBUF_SIZE	KBytes(62)	/* Exebyte likes 62KB chunks */
						   ^^^^^^^
>Xexetoc \- Manage a table of contents on an Exebyte 2GB tape cartridge.
					     ^^^^^^^

So the question, Mr. Chairman, is:

	What did the programmer know,
	and when did he know it?

[ wild buzzing from spectators ]

<BANG> <BANG> Order!  No further outbursts or I'll have the chamber cleared.

--
Canada -- a few acres of snow.    ^v^v^    Tom Neff
                 -- Voltaire      v^v^v    tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

mlandau@bbn.com (Matt Landau) (04/13/90)

Two notes on the recent exetoc program posted to comp.sources.unix:

  1.  Yes, I know the company name is spelled Exabyte.  So what?

  2.  Yes, the version posted only works with the Delta Microsystems
      driver for the tape.  The Sun SCSI driver, at least, lacks one
      of the ioctls for talking to the tape drive.

      If people are inclined to make the slight modifications required
      for exetoc to work with other drivers, that'd be great.  Please
      post changes to comp.sources.bugs or comp.sources.unix; as for
      me, the only systems I have to work with are SunOS 3.5 machines
      using the Delta Microsystems driver, so that's all I can really
      support.
--
 Matt Landau			Waiting for a flash of enlightenment
 mlandau@bbn.com			  in all this blood and thunder