[comp.sources.d] HACKMEM

peter@neccan.oz (Peter Alexander Miller) (05/02/90)

I just noticed the HACKMEM 169 reference in the X source.
Does anyone know how I can get a copy of the whole HACKMEM set?

Failing that, can anyone explain how HACKMEM 169 works?

Regards
Peter Miller       UUCP    {uunet,mcvax,ukc}!munnari!neccan.oz!pmiller
                   ARPA    pmiller%neccan.oz@uunet.uu.net
/\/\*              CSNET   pmiller%neccan.oz@australia
                   ACSnet  pmiller@neccan.oz
Disclaimer?  These guys have no idea what I am on about!

oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (05/06/90)

In article <706@neccan.oz> peter@neccan.oz (Peter Alexander Miller) writes:
>I just noticed the HACKMEM 169 reference in the X source.
>Does anyone know how I can get a copy of the whole HACKMEM set?

It is a MIT Tech report from years back, and reportedly contains a lot of
interesting "hacks", algorithms etc. by the hackers of the day at MIT AI
Labs. I believe it may be still available from MIT. [I actually would
like a copy too: does anybody around Toronto have a copy I can photocopy?]

oz

--
The king: If there's no meaning	   	    Interned:  oz@nexus.yorku.ca
in it, that saves a world of trouble        ......!uunet!utai!yunexus!oz

mac@ra.cs.Virginia.EDU (Alex Colvin) (05/07/90)

> >I just noticed the HACKMEM 169 reference in the X source.
> >Does anyone know how I can get a copy of the whole HACKMEM set?

It's not a set, it's MIT AI memo 169, which went out of print years ago.
Maybe the Boston Computer Museum will reissue it.

Lots of PDP-10 tricks, a few nifty recurrences, some display hacks,
most of which you can now find in textbooks.

Relic of a bygone era.  See also "Computer Lib".

	A. Colvin

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (05/07/90)

mac@ra.cs.Virginia.EDU (Alex Colvin) writes:

}> >I just noticed the HACKMEM 169 reference in the X source.
}> >Does anyone know how I can get a copy of the whole HACKMEM set?

}It's not a set, it's MIT AI memo 169, which went out of print years ago.
}Maybe the Boston Computer Museum will reissue it.

Last I heard it was *not* out of print and that if you just asked the
distribution folks at the AI Lab you could order a copy.  Couple of bucks as
I recall.

}Lots of PDP-10 tricks, a few nifty recurrences, some display hacks,
}most of which you can now find in textbooks.

PDP-6 hacks, actually.  Lots of interesting math, too.

   /Bernie\

In article <55792@bbn.BBN.COM> cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) writes:

   }It's not a set, it's MIT AI memo 169, which went out of print years ago.
   }Maybe the Boston Computer Museum will reissue it.

   Last I heard it was *not* out of print and that if you just asked the
   distribution folks at the AI Lab you could order a copy.  Couple of bucks as
   I recall.

(Canonical-FTP-location-p)

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
Violence never solves problems, it just changes them into more subtle problems

nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:

}In article <55792@bbn.BBN.COM> cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) writes:

}   }It's not a set, it's MIT AI memo 169, which went out of print years ago.
}   }Maybe the Boston Computer Museum will reissue it.

}   Last I heard it was *not* out of print and that if you just asked the
}   distribution folks at the AI Lab you could order a copy.  Couple of bucks as
}   I recall.

}(Canonical-FTP-location-p)

  NIL, I suspect: I just looked at my copy and it is fairly filled with
  non-ASCII stuff.  Some diagrams, lots of equations and greek letters and
  such.  No problem for TeX'ing it, of course, but it is hard to imagine (but
  possible! :-)) that someone took this 1972 memo and recreated it in TeX.

 /Bernie\

david@eng.sun.com (LEISURE WORLD) (05/08/90)

From comp.doc.techreports...

From: ai.mit.edu!deb@uunet.UU.NET (Debra Sterling)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 89 11:03:55 EDT
Subject: MIT AI Lab Bibliography-Part 1 of 7

% Except for the Bibliographies, publications are available in hardcopy
% only.

% TO ORDER, specify publications number and author and enclose
% a check payable to the M.I.T. Artificial Intelligence Laboratory for
% the correct amount of U.S. funds.  Prices of publications include
% surface postage to domestic and overseas addresses.

% PREPAYMENT IS REQUIRED. Please note on order if check is sent
% separately.

% Send orders with payment to:

%   Publications, Room NE43-818
%   M.I.T. Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
%   545 Technology Square
%   Cambridge, MA 02139 USA

% For additional information:

%   Phone number: (617) 253-6773}
%   Net address:  Publications@ai.mit.edu}

:aim 239
:title {HAKMEM}
:author M. Beeler, R. W. Gosper, R. Schroeppel
:asort Beeler, M.; Gosper, W.; Schroeppel, R.
:date February 1972
:cost $4.50
:pages 105
:abstract
Here is some little known data which may be of interest to computer
hackers. The items and examples are so sketchy that to decipher them
may require more sincerity and curiosity than a non-hacker can muster.
Doubtless, little of this is new, but nowadays it's hard to tell. So
we must be content to give you an insight, or save you some cycles,
and to welcome further contributions of items, new or used.