[comp.sources.d] Elm2.3 postings?

rasmus@dmntor.uucp (Rasmus Lerdorf) (05/29/90)

I have been patiently sitting around twiddling my thumbs waiting for the
rest of the elm2.3 package to show up in comp.sources.unix.  9 of 27
files have made it to a couple of Toronto sites, but it has now been
several days since anything has gotten here.  News seems to be flowing ok,
what gives?
--
Rasmus Lerdorf   | ..!geac!dmntor!rasmus  (Work) (416) 362-0788
UW SD Eng. '93   | ..!geac!contact!rasmus (Home) (416) 833-6987

lauther@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Ulrich Lauther) (05/30/90)

In article <1990May29.142844.1114@dmntor.uucp> rasmus@dmntor.uucp (Rasmus Lerdorf) writes:
>I have been patiently sitting around twiddling my thumbs waiting for the
>rest of the elm2.3 package to show up in comp.sources.unix.  9 of 27
>files have made it to a couple of Toronto sites, but it has now been

This is not the only problem: If you take a closer look you will probably
realize that file 9 is corrupted: it contains only *part* of part09 and
then continues with part10.

Anxiously waiting ...
Ulrich Lauther               Internet: lauther@janus.berkeley.edu
Siemens / UCB                ph: +1 415 642 3338 fax: 642 2739

rasmus@dmntor.uucp (Rasmus Lerdorf) (05/30/90)

In <36599@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> lauther@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Ulrich Lauther) writes:
>This is not the only problem: If you take a closer look you will probably
>realize that file 9 is corrupted: it contains only *part* of part09 and
>then continues with part10.

Hmm..  I haven't looked at them yet.  I figured I'd wait until everything
got here.  I guess I'll give up on it and ftp it myself, although that is
a major hassle for me.
--

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (05/30/90)

> it has now been
>several days since [elm2.3] has gotten here.
There was a weekend.  More specifically, a holiday weekend.
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.

rasmus@dmntor.uucp (Rasmus Lerdorf) (05/31/90)

In <2583@litchi.bbn.com> rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:

>There was a weekend.  More specifically, a holiday weekend.
>	/r$

Oops, oh yeah.  I tend to ignore American holidays up here in Canada.
--
Rasmus Lerdorf   | ..!geac!dmntor!rasmus  (Work) (416) 362-0788
UW SD Eng. '93   | ..!geac!contact!rasmus (Home) (416) 833-6987

mam@mamnix.as.sub.org (Michael A. Meiszl) (06/02/90)

This "posting-delay" forced some machines to expire the first parts before
all parts arrived :-(
I trained my machine to archive only complete packages.
My expire level is a whole fortnight but please keep in mind that news take
alot of time to reach us here in europe. So it sometimes happens that a new
article is rejected by inews just because it is too old.

Although 10 parts are lots of traffic, I think it would be better canceling
the old parts and doing a complete repost (on one day please).

regards mam
--
Michael A. Meiszl, Tomsonstr. 25, 4700 Hamm 1   Internet: mam@mamnix.as.sub.org
Voice: 0231/825985                                  Fido: 2:241/7.0
Data : 0231/822008 login box / uucp

randy@rls.UUCP (Randall L. Smith) (06/08/90)

In article <93449@mamnix.as.sub.org>, mam@mamnix.as.sub.org (Michael A. Meiszl) writes:
> This "posting-delay" forced some machines to expire the first parts before
> all parts arrived :-(
>  [ ..... ]
>
> Although 10 parts are lots of traffic, I think it would be better canceling
> the old parts and doing a complete repost (on one day please).

Because of the variability of this particular post of sources, I have had
trouble keeping pace and filing appropriately.  I *don't* think a repost
is necessary (Michael, I'll mail those to you, just write).  I would agree
we could use a little quicker disbursment.

This is far from a flame. Just reinforcing the idea, theres some difficulty.

Also, (the real reason I'm writing ;-)) I lost elm part 22.  Could sombody
mail it to me?  Thanks!

Cheers!

- randy

Usenet: randy@rls.uucp
Bangpath: ...<backbone>!osu-cis!rls!randy
Internet: rls!randy@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

ewiles@netxdev.DHL.COM (Edwin Wiles) (06/08/90)

In article <93449@mamnix.as.sub.org> mam@mamnix.as.sub.org (Michael A. Meiszl) writes:
>This "posting-delay" forced some machines to expire the first parts before
>all parts arrived :-(

Yes, this is sad.

>I trained my machine to archive only complete packages.

Well, then train it to archive the parts as they arrive.

>My expire level is a whole fortnight but please keep in mind that news take
>alot of time to reach us here in europe. So it sometimes happens that a new
>article is rejected by inews just because it is too old.

This I do not understand.  It is my understanding that expire works on the
date that the news REACHES YOUR SITE, not the date that it was posted!
Therefore, inews should NOT reject an article for being too old.

Am I mistaken on this?  I rather doubt it because we've got really short
expiration as well as frequent history file rebuilding and I DO see lots
of duplicates.  (DON'T WORRY!  Due to our hardware constraints, we can't
do anything else, so we don't forward any article that we didn't create.
We are fully aware of the potential for network news disruption if we did
forward non-locally created articles, so we don't!  With luck, this
situation will be fixed in the near future.  [New Hardware!])

>Although 10 parts are lots of traffic, I think it would be better canceling
>the old parts and doing a complete repost (on one day please).

GOOD HEAVENS NO!  Putting out the entire ELM distribution in one huge blob
would be absolutely the WORST thing you could do.  Moderators HAVE to take
into consideration the situation of the sites they feed directly.  The majority
of such sites are going to be more than a little upset at having the entire
thing dumped on them all at one time!

Take the simpler paths:

	Option A:  Increase the expiration interval on the comp.sources.unix
		   group.

		   This would allow you to keep your archiving unchanged,
		   and the rest of the network wouldn't have to choke on
		   huge blobs of posting.

	Option B:  Change the way you archive.

		   Our archiving software is written so that it grabs
		   every posting that comes across, whenever it shows
		   up, not just the completed archive.

		   This would allow you to continue expiring news at your
		   present rate, would avoid any purported problems with
		   inews rejecting old articles, and again the rest of
		   the network wouldn't have to choke on mass postings.

					Enjoy!
						Edwin.
        "Who?... Me?... WHAT opinions?!?"	| Edwin Wiles
    Schedule: (n.) An ever changing nightmare.	| NetExpress, Inc.
  ...!{hadron,sundc,pyrdc,uunet}!netxcom!ewiles	| 1953 Gallows Rd. Suite 300
       ewiles@iad-nxe.global-mis.DHL.COM	| Vienna, VA 22182