[comp.sources.d] Laser Jet to Postscript posting

jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) (07/03/90)

While I really appreciate the laserjet to postscript translator
program posted comp.sources.misc, it is almost unusable because LOTS
of the files have embedded control characters in them that have been
stripped of by the net.  If the original poster will bundle the
affected files together and UUENCODE them and repost then the rest of
the world can make use of this fairly nifty program.   Oh while you
are at it, you should NOT use LONG filenames because they cause big
problems on Sys V machines such as mine.  So please fix up the posting
and try again.
--
Jim Sanchez          | jim@syteke.be (PREFERRED)
                     | OR {sun,hplabs}!sytek!syteke!jim
Hughes LAN Systems   | OR uunet!mcsun!ub4b!syteke!jim
Brussels

lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (Chris Lishka (King Arthur's roommate) ) (07/05/90)

jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) writes:

I am the person who posted the LaserJet to PostScript translator.
Yes, I forgot to uuencode the stuff.  I will work on it and try and
get another version out within a week.

>While I really appreciate the laserjet to postscript translator
>program posted comp.sources.misc, it is almost unusable because LOTS
>of the files have embedded control characters in them that have been
>stripped of by the net.  If the original poster will bundle the
>affected files together and UUENCODE them and repost then the rest of
>the world can make use of this fairly nifty program.

@#*)(@*#)!  You are right, I should have uuencoded the whole thing.
As far as I know, the actual *source*code* does not have any control
characters in it, so that should be fine.  However, the test and
metrics suite do, so they are completely useless.

>Oh while you
>are at it, you should NOT use LONG filenames because they cause big
>problems on Sys V machines such as mine.  So please fix up the posting
>and try again.

Hmmmmm....  I will go through and change any names that are longer
than eight characters (so it is easily transportable to MS-DOS
machines as well as System V's fourteen character limit).

>Jim Sanchez          | jim@syteke.be (PREFERRED)

Thanks for pointing out these mistakes.  I will work on the problems
and send a new copy to comp.sources.misc, hopefully within a week or
so.  I apologize for the problems; it is my first time doing this, and
I thought I had covered all of the bases.

			"The best laid plans of mice and men...."

--
Christopher Lishka 608-262-4485  "Dad, don't give in to mob mentality!"
Wisconsin State Lab. of Hygiene                                -- Bart Simpson

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (07/06/90)

In article <1990Jul5.143004.27885@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu> lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (Chris Lishka (King Arthur's roommate) ) writes:
>@#*)(@*#)!  You are right, I should have uuencoded the whole thing.
>As far as I know, the actual *source*code* does not have any control
>characters in it, so that should be fine.  However, the test and
>metrics suite do, so they are completely useless.

Please uuencode ONLY the files that need it, and leave the source code
in plain text.  The standard Usenet source groups should not be used for
thousands of lines of unreadable stuff!!  There have been a couple of
examples of this in the past month, and I'm afraid it's going to
snowball.  Readers should be able to CASUALLY and DIRECTLY inspect
source postings with the ordinary newsreader, to see if they're
interested before installing everything.  Shell archives (shars) are
perfect for this.  People are starting to post *vanilla text files* as
uuencoded compressed TARs.  Very Bad!

--
"Take off your engineering hat   = "The filter has      | Tom Neff
and put on your management hat." = discreting sources." | tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM