[comp.sources.d] Q: Newest UnZip

bkahn@archive.rtp.dg.com (Bruce Kahn) (07/31/90)

  I was just reading another list and on it was a mention of unzip 3.0.  Was
this ever posted to the net?  The newst version I  have is 2.1 and I havent
seen any newer versions (2.1 is dated Sept. 89).  Can someone tell me where
I may find 3.0?  Thanks.

 						Bruce (bkahn@archive.rtp.dg.com)

roelofs@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Cave Newt) (08/02/90)

In article <691@dg.dg.com> bkahn@archive.rtp.dg.com (Bruce Kahn) writes:

>  I was just reading another list and on it was a mention of unzip 3.0.  Was
>this ever posted to the net?  The newst version I  have is 2.1 and I havent
>seen any newer versions (2.1 is dated Sept. 89).  Can someone tell me where
>I may find 3.0?  Thanks.

I don't recall if 3.0 was posted or not, but it is available on Simtel,
at least (the nominal clearinghouse for the unzip project).  I can't
find any record of where I picked it up, but I believe it was directory
pd2:[unix-c.arc-progs], in one of several formats (ZIP, ARC, tar.Z).
The disk may have changed to pd3 some while back; my source for this
is a bit old.  Simtel, btw, is 26.2.0.74.

The nominal coordinator for unzip releases is David Kirschbaum, also
known as kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil; you might inquire with him as to the
plans for posting the next update.  To get on the unzip mailing list,
send a message to Info-ZIP-Request@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil.  It's been
rather quiet recently, but a number of the contributors may have been
students who have no net access during the summer.  Or maybe the program
is just perfect in its most recent incarnation. :)

Greg

kim@uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (08/03/90)

In article <7623@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> roelofs@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Cave Newt) writes:

> I don't recall if 3.0 was posted or not, but it is available on Simtel,

I never saw it posted.  Picked it up off of simtel, myself.

> Or maybe the program
> is just perfect in its most recent incarnation. :)

Not quite.  About a 1/3 of the time, if the embedded files are in a dir
tree, I get some corrupted files.  Haven't seen any obvious relationship,
but it seems to be data dependent, and seems to occur most frequently
in textual areas where there are lots of whitespace.

This be on our UTS 2.0.1 systems (basically SVR3), running on our Amdahl
mainframes.

BTW ... seems to me I saw in an article somewhere that v3.1 was available
now (or maybe RSN), but I haven't tried to locate it.  Or maybe I was
daydreaming this ... :-)

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@uts.amdahl.com   -OR-   ked01@juts.ccc.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim