[net.music] Cassettes outsell LPs?

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (10/10/85)

Billboard claims that prerecorded cassettes outsell LPs by two to one.
Am I living on the wrong planet or what?  Is that what life is like out
in the midwest?

			"Press the eject and give me the tape"

			 Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

al@psivax.UUCP (Al Schwartz) (10/15/85)

In article <48@mit-eddie.UUCP> nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) writes:
>Billboard claims that prerecorded cassettes outsell LPs by two to one.
>Am I living on the wrong planet or what?  Is that what life is like out
>in the midwest?
>			"Press the eject and give me the tape"
>			 Doug Alan

This seems reasonable if you assume that Walkmans and Boom Boxes are probably
outselling quality audio systems.  I think the CD will change this in the
future (when the one medium can be used everywhere).
--
                  Al Schwartz
                  Pacesetter Systems, Inc.,  Sylmar, CA

render@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/15/85)

I know a number of people who now buy albums on tape instead of on vinyl
for a number of reasons:  less background noise, longer life, the general
prevalence of tape players over turntables, transportability and improved
tape quality.  Neither one can compare with CD's for anything but price, and
since that is coming down, the subject will probably be academic in a
few years.

                                     Hal Render

                                     {pur-ee, ihnp4} ! uiucdcs ! render
                                     render@uiuc.csnet     render@uiuc.arpa