[comp.sources.d] QUESTION: What is 'dvi' format?

srm@Matrix.COM (Steve Morris) (10/26/90)

I have a paper in 'dvi' format. How can it be converted to
Postscript format (or *roff) for my Laserwriter?

Thanks, Steve

| Steve Morris                         srm@matrix.com         |
| Matrix Corporation                   mcnc!matrx!srm         |
| 1203 New Hope Road                   (919)231-8000 Telephone|

otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (10/28/90)

In article <1990Oct26.141747.13161@Matrix.COM> srm@Matrix.COM (Steve Morris)
writes:
   I have a paper in 'dvi' format. How can it be converted to
   Postscript format (or *roff) for my Laserwriter?

It is the DeVice Independant format produced by the TeX typesetting program.
It can be converted to PostScript by using dvialw or dvips.  Sorry, can't
point you to a source.  I know that the latter is at least partially made by
Knuth.
--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <otto@jyu.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (CCITT, Bell 24/12/300) */

uri@arnor.uucp (10/29/90)

|>    I have a paper in 'dvi' format. How can it be converted to
|>    Postscript format (or *roff) for my Laserwriter?
|>
|> It is the DeVice Independant format produced by the TeX typesetting program.
|> It can be converted to PostScript by using dvialw or dvips.

"dvips" which IMHO is the most convenient (and worked better than others
for me) can be FTP'ed from 'labrea.stanford.edu' - look for 'dvi538.tar.Z'
or something like that.
--

Regards,
Uri Blumenthal			uri@ibm.com,angmar!uri

lwv27@CAS.BITNET (10/30/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sources.d

In the cases I have investigated, one was required to track down and
to try to figure out how to install TeX fonts before being able to use
dvi to postscript type programs.  Does anyone know of a) a way around that
or b) a package which describes how to do that?  I mean, one may have a LOT
of postscript fonts around - it seems silly to have to have a bunch of
fonts around that you cannot use other than in one little package.
--
Larry W. Virden
Business: UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27  INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu

tim@maths.tcd.ie (Timothy Murphy) (10/31/90)

In <9010301118.AA27501@lilac.berkeley.edu> lwv27@CAS.BITNET writes:

>In the cases I have investigated, one was required to track down and
>to try to figure out how to install TeX fonts before being able to use
>dvi to postscript type programs.  Does anyone know of a) a way around that
>or b) a package which describes how to do that?  I mean, one may have a LOT
>of postscript fonts around - it seems silly to have to have a bunch of
>fonts around that you cannot use other than in one little package.

All dvi*ps programs I know allow use of inbuilt PostScript fonts
rather than Computer Modern.
In particular dvips (available by anonymous FTP from labrea.stanford.edu)
has this facility, and describes in the manual how to use it
(Section 5: Using PostScript Fonts).

The inbuilt Symbol font is inadequate for mathematics,
so people usually use the cmsy* fonts for this;
there is no problem in mixing PostScript and CM fonts.

--

Timothy Murphy

e-mail: tim@maths.tcd.ie