[comp.sources.d] recent dmake-sources posted to comp.sources.misc

berg@cip-s05.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (AKA Solitair) (10/29/90)

I don't want to sound alarming or anything, but part 23 of 25 seems
not to have made it to rwthinf.rwth-aachen.de in Aachen, (West-)Germany.
--
Sincerely,                 berg%cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.de@unido.bitnet
           Stephen R. van den Berg.

nbladt@aut.UUCP (Norbert Bladt) (11/02/90)

berg@cip-s05.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (AKA Solitair) writes:

>I don't want to sound alarming or anything, but part 23 of 25 seems
>not to have made it to rwthinf.rwth-aachen.de in Aachen, (West-)Germany.
I am missing several parts (13, 16, 21, 24). They never arrived
here. However, the reason for that could be that our newsfeed system
was down for several days (16-18. Oct).

BTW, I had a problem with the earlier versions on NCR system.
dmake would run forever and a day. I did not look into
this problem.

--
Norbert Bladt, Ascom Autelca AG, Worbstr. 201, CH-3073 Guemligen, Switzerland
Phone: +41 31 52 92 14
Norbert Bladt, Ascom Autelca AG, Worbstr. 201, CH-3073 Guemligen, Switzerland
Phone: +41 31 52 92 14
EMail: ..!uunet!mcsun!chx400!hslrswi!bladt

berg@cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (AKA Solitair) (11/02/90)

I wrote:
>I don't want to sound alarming or anything, but part 23 of 25 seems
>not to have made it to rwthinf.rwth-aachen.de in Aachen, (West-)Germany.

Now I know it is partly my own fault (I should have mentioned it along
with the posting), but up to now two kind souls have gratiously mailed
me the missing part.  Well, there is nothing wrong with that, if it
weren't for the fact that here in Germany we have to pay for incoming mail
(on a per byte basis).

Luckily, one of the two persons used the address in the Reply-To header
which alleviated the cost a bit.  But generally I would like to warn
people not to boldly send (no matter how well meant it was) large
e-mail to persons in Germany, without asking their consent.
--

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (11/03/90)

berg@cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (AKA Solitair) writes:

|...Well, there is nothing wrong with that, if it
|weren't for the fact that here in Germany we have to pay for incoming mail
|(on a per byte basis).

|Luckily, one of the two persons used the address in the Reply-To header
|which alleviated the cost a bit.  But generally I would like to warn
|people not to boldly send (no matter how well meant it was) large
|e-mail to persons in Germany, without asking their consent.

I hope that the users there are trying to change the situation,
otherwise they're going to run into major problems. There's nothing at
all to keep someone from feeding you a multimegabyte posting (split,
of course), and running your bill through the roof. And you couldn't
do anything about it "Gosh, gee, he said he was interested in database
programs, so I mailed him a copy of postgres."

I would *hate* to be in their shoes.

Sean

--
***  Sean Casey <sean@s.ms.uky.edu>
***  "I feel better than James Brown!"

dvadura@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Dennis Vadura) (11/05/90)

In article <1066@aut.UUCP> nbladt@aut.UUCP (Norbert Bladt) writes:
>berg@cip-s05.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (AKA Solitair) writes:
>
>>I don't want to sound alarming or anything, but part 23 of 25 seems
>>not to have made it to rwthinf.rwth-aachen.de in Aachen, (West-)Germany.

If you are missing a part of the distribution then you could send me mail
directly and I will send you the missing parts.  This way you only get one
copy.

>I am missing several parts (13, 16, 21, 24). They never arrived
>here. However, the reason for that could be that our newsfeed system
>was down for several days (16-18. Oct).

If you want them let me know, and I'll send them to you.

>BTW, I had a problem with the earlier versions on NCR system.
>dmake would run forever and a day. I did not look into
>this problem.

I have this problem on our NCR box too.  I don't really care cause our NCR
box is 68010 based unix box and we don't use it for much now a days, but
I appreciate that it is a problem.  I suspect that the culprit is a bad
implementation of STAT (dmake does a lot of stat's), a fix for this is in the
works but will not be available for some time.

-dennis
"This is almost worth the HIGH blood pressure!" he  |Dennis Vadura
thought as yet another mosquito exploded.-R.Patching|dvadura@dragon.uwaterloo.ca