[comp.sources.d] Should I use dmake?

tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) (10/27/90)

There is a package in comp.sources.misc called dmake which is supposed
to run on several operating systems.  I use UNIX and DOS.  Currently I
am happy with NDMAKE by Don Kneller.  It runs under DOS and it emulates
just about all of UNIX's make.

Is there a reason I should switch to DMAKE?  It would take some trouble
to download and compile.
--
        Tom Reingold
        tr@samadams.princeton.edu  OR  ...!princeton!samadams!tr

pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (10/31/90)

On 26 Oct 90 21:51:46 GMT, tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) said:

tr> There is a package in comp.sources.misc called dmake which is
tr> supposed to run on several operating systems.  I use UNIX and DOS.
tr> Currently I am happy with NDMAKE by Don Kneller.  It runs under DOS
tr> and it emulates just about all of UNIX's make.

tr> Is there a reason I should switch to DMAKE?  It would take some
tr> trouble to download and compile.

Well, dmake is very very portable, and has some significant and very
useful extensions, as well as being System V make compatible (which is
not so important for me). it is also being actively supported by its
author. It is also quite a bit more elegant than other extended makes I
have seen, e.g. GNU make, if if not quite as cake, which is however a
world apart.
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (11/06/90)

In article <4034@rossignol.Princeton.EDU>, tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) writes:
> There is a package in comp.sources.misc called dmake which is supposed
> to run on several operating systems.  I use UNIX and DOS.  Currently I
> am happy with NDMAKE by Don Kneller.  It runs under DOS and it emulates
> just about all of UNIX's make.
>
> Is there a reason I should switch to DMAKE?  It would take some trouble
> to download and compile.

I have never seen sources for ndmake; if it is only a binary
distribution that would be a good enough reason to switch.

 Thos Sumner       Internet: thos@cca.ucsf.edu
 (The I.G.)        UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos
                   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 USA

I hear nothing in life is certain but death and taxes -- and they're
working on death.

#include <disclaimer.std>

speelmo@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Lance Speelmon -- UCS) (11/06/90)

Does anybody know where I can find the source for dmake?

Thanks,
Lance
Lance Speelmon                         |  University Computing Services
speelmo@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu         |  Network Operations Center

lbr@holos0.uucp (Len Reed) (11/28/90)

In article <70163@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> speelmo@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Lance Speelmon -- UCS) writes:
>Does anybody know where I can find the source for dmake?

Dmake was written by Dennis Vadura of the University of Waterloo,
and is avaiable for anonymous ftp from the U. of W:
   watmsg.uwaterloo.ca.  Address is 129.97.129.9.

It is in the pub/src directory, set your mode to binary, and copy either:
   dmake-3.6.tar.Z		- compressed tar format
   dmake-3.6.zoo		- zoo archive

It was posted to comp.sources.misc, and patches went to comp.sources.bugs.
If you get it from somewhere other than Waterloo (it's bound to be at a
number of archive sites), be sure you get the patched version.  This is
only of minor significance unless you'll be running on DOS.  The unpatched
DOS code has some problems.

I have used dmake a great deal and have even worked a little on internals.
It's as good as any make, far better than most, and supports a wide
number of platforms.  I use it to maintain a ROM-based system that also
runs in emulator form on DOS, 2 versions of Unix and 286 and 386 Xenix.
Dmake is the only thing I know that can handle it.  I also use it
for my routine making, though.

Recommended without reservation.
--
Len Reed
Holos Software, Inc.

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (11/29/90)

In an article lbr@holos0.uucp (Len Reed) wrote:
>I have used dmake a great deal and have even worked a little on internals.
>It's as good as any make, far better than most, and supports a wide
>number of platforms.  I use it to maintain a ROM-based system that also
>runs in emulator form on DOS, 2 versions of Unix and 286 and 386 Xenix.
>Dmake is the only thing I know that can handle it.  I also use it
>for my routine making, though.

How is dmake different from garden-variety make?

I use ndmake on my pc.  How is ndmake different from dmake?

--
John Dudeck                                  "If it's Object Oriented then by
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu                    definition it's A Good Thing".