[comp.sources.d] Greg McGary's mkid, lid, and eid package

slh@bbt.UUCP (horn) (11/30/90)

I posted this several weeks ago, but I am not sure if it
made it to the net.

Does anyone out there in netland have any info on Greg
McGary's mkid, lid, and eid package.  It is an identifier
database package that is extremely useful.  We have a
1987 version, and I am curious if there have been any updates
since that time.  I have added some enhancements.  I also
tried to contact Greg at the address listed in the docs that
came with the package, but my email bounced.

Any info would be appreciated.

Scott

Scott L. Horn	BroadBand Technologies, Inc.	(919)544-6850 Ext 223
Internet:	slh%bbt@rti.rti.org
BITNET:		slh%bbt%rti.rti.org@CUNYVM
Usenet:		...!mcnc!rti!bbt!slh

tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) (12/01/90)

Here at Harris we have also been using mkid since the original posting and
have also made several enhancements to it, but I have never seen any updates
posted or heard anything about an official "clearinghouse" for mkid
enhancements...

If there are a lot of people using it, perhaps we should get together via
email, merge our enhancements, and post a newer version.

Enhancements I have made include:

   added 'pid' tool to do queries on the *names* of files in the database
   (all the other tools query the contents of files).

   added 'iid' interactive tool for doing DIALOG-like queries, forming
   sets of file names that match certain queries, anding and oring them
   together.

   lots of bug fixes (generally handles pathnames much more cleanly now).

   New scanners and an option to use 'popen' to start a separate program
   to use as a scanner rather than having to have all scanners linked in.

The main enhancement I want (but have never figured out how to do) is an
update option that can add new files as well as update the existing ones.
domain: tahorsley@csd.harris.com       USMail: Tom Horsley
  uucp: ...!uunet!hcx1!tahorsley               511 Kingbird Circle
                                               Delray Beach, FL  33444
+==== Censorship is the only form of Obscenity ======================+
|     (Wait, I forgot government tobacco subsidies...)               |
+====================================================================+

jlol@REMUS.EE.BYU.EDU (Jay Lawlor) (12/02/90)

.. stuff about id utilities ...

Tom> If there are a lot of people using it, perhaps we should get together via
Tom> email, merge our enhancements, and post a newer version.

I know a lot of people, including myself, who use it all the time.
I'd be very interested in seeing you and possibly others merge your
enhancements and post it.  I've always wondered why there weren't any
new versions posted since it's so useful.

My wish list?  I'd like to see c++ support added.  I also like the
enhancements you mentioned.

Jay

leisner@arisia.Xerox.COM (Marty Leisner) (12/03/90)

In article <TOM.90Dec1075700@hcx2.ssd.csd.harris.com> tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) writes:
>Here at Harris we have also been using mkid since the original posting and
>have also made several enhancements to it, but I have never seen any updates
>posted or heard anything about an official "clearinghouse" for mkid
>enhancements...
>
>If there are a lot of people using it, perhaps we should get together via
>email, merge our enhancements, and post a newer version.

I've used mkid since its posting.  I think its fantastic.

I got it to run on Ms/dos.

Did some general cleanup.

Got it to be byte-order independent so the same ID files would work on a sun4 and a sun386i.

If other people are using it, I would be glad to share the work.

I also think I fixed the scanner for ansi compatability (?).

marty leisner
leisner.wbst139@xerox.com

iand@labtam.labtam.oz (Ian Donaldson) (12/04/90)

tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) writes:
>If there are a lot of people using it, perhaps we should get together via
>email, merge our enhancements, and post a newer version.

We use it all the time.  Bewt for humungous kernel sources (like SVR4).

>Enhancements I have made include:

We added a 'mid' tool that brings up more(1) or $PAGER on the files
just like eid(1) does.  (I have PAGER="less -MC")

We too would be interested in enhancements and bug fixes.

In partiticular, 'mkid -u' doesn't work reliably, corrupting the database.

Also, something is wrong with mkid's hash algorithm and it goes into
infinite loops every now and again... always on the same source file.
I put in a trap for that case so that it aborts, but it really need
fixing properly.

We also fixed a few miscellaneous bugs.

I would be willing to share my enhancements, but unfortunately
I have no time to do a merge.

Ian D