[comp.sources.d] shar corruption on TRN posting ... specifically

steve@nshore.uucp (Stephen J. Walick) (12/08/90)

As quoted from <140@mx-1> by ar@mcdd1 (Alastair Rae):

+---------------
| I've just downloaded TRN from comp.sources.unix.  13 of its 14 parts
| were coherent shell-archives but part 9's tail-end was wrong. This
| was different to all the other parts which output a sequence number to
| a temp file so as to keep the shars in order.
|
| OK, I can get round that but it got me thinking. I wondered what
| happened to corrupt the shar? Maybe the posting was corrupt in the
| first place but my main worry is this:
|
|     How can I be certain that a shar archive is what it claims to be?
|
|     How do I know that it hasn't been interfered with along the net?
|
|     When some tempting piece of software lands up at my end of the net,
|     how do I know that it's safe to unpack, never mind compile & run?
|
| Am I just being paranoid?
+---------------

I'm not going to try to answer your specific questions, but, regarding
that "corrupt" posting of Part 9 and the "REPOST" of that part, some-
thing's not right, and I 'Email'ed Wayne Davison about it.  The message
to Wayne was generally as follows --

<< begin message copy >>
------------------------
>Subject: Problem with 'trn 1.0' -> 'trn 1.0.1'
>To: davison@drivax (Wayne Davison)

Wayne --
                               ...I've just finally received the "repost"
of 'trn1.0.sh.09', un"shar"d the posts, and tried to apply 'patch1' and
ran into problems (yes, I did know how to compile 'unipatch.c' and, using
that and 'patch1', was able to "almost" successfully apply that patch).
But ran into a problem with four (4) files, one of which I used the 'File
to patch: ' prompt to rename < mthreads.c > to < mt-read.c >, but that
didn't work properly.  Here's the "output" of the "errors"....

--------------------------
|Index: mt.check.SH
--------------------------
Patching file mt.check.SH using Plan A...
Hunk #1 succeeded at 5.
Hunk #2 failed at 42.
1 out of 2 hunks failed--saving rejects to mt.check.SH#
Hmm...  The next patch looks like a new-style context diff to me...
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|Index: mthreads.1
--------------------------
File to patch: mthreads.1
No file found--skip this patch? [n] y
Skipping patch...
Hunk #1 ignored at 1.
Hunk #2 ignored at 54.
Hunk #3 ignored at 66.
Hunk #4 ignored at 85.
Hunk #5 ignored at 170.
Hunk #6 ignored at 196.
Hunk #7 ignored at 220.
Hunk #8 ignored at 247.
Hunk #9 ignored at 284.
9 out of 9 hunks ignored--saving rejects to mthreads.1#
Hmm...  The next patch looks like a new-style context diff to me...
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|Index: mthreads.c
--------------------------
File to patch: mt-read.c
Patching file mt-read.c using Plan A...
Hunk #1 failed at 1.
Hunk #2 failed at 16.
Hunk #3 failed at 25.
Hunk #4 succeeded at 50 with fuzz 2.
Hunk #5 failed at 67.
Hunk #6 succeeded at 87 with fuzz 2.
Hunk #7 succeeded at 113 with fuzz 2.
Hunk #8 succeeded at 162 with fuzz 2.
Hunk #9 failed at 177.
Hunk #10 failed at 226.
Hunk #11 failed at 232.
Hunk #12 succeeded at 248 with fuzz 2.
Hunk #13 failed at 279.
Hunk #14 failed at 285.
Hunk #15 failed at 295.
Hunk #16 succeeded at 301 with fuzz 2.
Hunk #17 failed at 322.
Hunk #18 failed at 334.
Hunk #19 failed at 377.
Hunk #20 failed at 387.
Hunk #21 failed at 440.
Hunk #22 failed at 450.
Hunk #23 succeeded at 500 with fuzz 2.
Hunk #24 succeeded at 534 with fuzz 2.
Hunk #25 failed at 542.
Hunk #26 failed at 603.
Hunk #27 failed at 658.
Hunk #28 failed at 700.
Hunk #29 failed at 723.
Hunk #30 failed at 778.
Hunk #31 failed at 802.
Hunk #32 failed at 816.
Hunk #33 failed at 888.
25 out of 33 hunks failed--saving rejects to mt-read.c#
Hmm...  The next patch looks like a new-style context diff to me...
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|Index: mthreads.h
--------------------------
File to patch:
No file found--skip this patch? [n] y
Skipping patch...
Hunk #1 ignored at 1.
Hunk #2 ignored at 21.
Hunk #3 ignored at 46.
3 out of 3 hunks ignored--saving rejects to mthreads.h#
Hmm...  The next patch looks like a new-style context diff to me...

...Note:  The patch to < mt.check.SH > failed at 'Hunk #2', the file
< mthreads.1 > doesn't exist, renaming the file < mthreads.c > to
< mt-read.c > basically was a total failure, and, the file < mthreads.h >
was also missing.

Could you kindly indicate what to do from this point??

<< end message copy >>

Could the problem be in the "REPOST" of Part 9??

--

Stephen J. Walick, Asst Sysop of the  < XBBS >  program  at  NCoast.ORG
{uunet|backnone}!nshore!steve                         steve@nshore.uucp