[comp.sources.d] Help, I can't get input focus under olwm

dc@caveat.berkeley.edu (Dave Cottingham) (12/14/90)

I have run into a peculiar problem using my favorite X application,
XCONQ, on my shiny new Sparcstation.  I can't direct the input focus
to XCONQ's window.  This is true whether the client is running on the
Sparcstation or elsewhere (like the VAX downstairs), and the client
works fine when the window is on any other server I've tried.  Can
anyone give a hint what the problem is?  Anyone seen this before?
Could someone tell me how a window manager decides if a window should
be allowed to take input focus? (yes, I'm that clueless)

The machine:			SUN Sparcstation 1+
OS:				SUN OS 4.1
Brand of X:			Open Windows 2.0
Window manager:			olwm
Widget libs used by client:	NONE

Any clues most appreciated.

 - Dave Cottingham
   dc@caveat.berkeley.edu

boyter@bimbo.uucp (Maj Brian Boyter) (12/15/90)

dc@caveat.berkeley.edu (Dave Cottingham) writes:
>XCONQ, on my shiny new Sparcstation.  I can't direct the input focus

Dave...
Here's something to try...
In your .Xdefaults put a line like:
OpenwindowsFocusLenience: True

I'm working from memory since I'm at home and not at work....
This "feature" can be found in one of the man pages (try man xnews,
man olwm, man openwin, etc, and look for FocusLenience)....

Brian

   Maj. Brian A Boyter
   US Army Foreign Science & Technology Center
   Charlottesville, Va 22901                         __
   off: (804)980-7362                              (    )
   home:     973-9440                             {      }
                                                   (    )
   boyter@fstc-chville.army.mil                      ||
   Just say glow......                       _______<  >_______

igl@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Ian Glendinning) (12/18/90)

In <1990Dec13.221949.583@agate.berkeley.edu> dc@caveat.berkeley.edu (Dave Cottingham) writes:

>I have run into a peculiar problem using my favorite X application,
>XCONQ, on my shiny new Sparcstation.  I can't direct the input focus
>to XCONQ's window.  This is true whether the client is running on the
>Sparcstation or elsewhere (like the VAX downstairs), and the client
>works fine when the window is on any other server I've tried.  Can
>anyone give a hint what the problem is?  Anyone seen this before?
>Could someone tell me how a window manager decides if a window should
>be allowed to take input focus? (yes, I'm that clueless)

Try putting the line:

OpenWindows.FocusLenience: true

in your .Xdefaults file.  I had a similar problem running a program on
my SPARC station under openwindows, which worked fine under other
versions of X.  Local experts informed me that the problem is most
likely to do with not enforcing the ICCCM requirement that windows
must have the input hint set in order to receive the focus.
Apparently, many X11R3 clients don't bother to set this hint.  Hope
this helps.
    Ian
--
I.Glendinning@ecs.soton.ac.uk        Ian Glendinning
Tel: +44 703 593081                  Electronics and Computer Science