[comp.sources.d] unix Pcomm problems

fsb@vitro.uucp (Steve Brailsford) (01/04/91)

In <1033@pdxgate.UUCP> brians@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Brian Smith) writes:

>I have ISC 2.2, and a Hayes compatible 2400bps modem (Courier 2400).  I never
>had any difficulty in getting pcomm to run.  The version which I am using
>is actually a little behind in bug patches, but I've never had any problems
>(other than pcomm never wait(2)'ing on the spawned down/upload processes,
>creating zombies).

Is there any fix to these zombies?  I am now using pcomm 1.2.10
and I used to get zombies all the time with patchlevel 9.  I
was hoping 10 would have a fix, but I didn't see anything that
might do it.
--
    Steve Brailsford		Usenet:  uunet!media!vitro!fsb
    Vitro Corporation		Compu$erve: 73427,1466

jrh2@cbnewsm.att.com (jay.r.harbeston) (01/07/91)

> In article <3044@polari.UUCP> kentkar@polari.UUCP (kent karrer) writes:
> <When I try to use the Pcomm program, it seems to execute correctly but I am
> <unable to communicate to my modem. I checked the Pcomm tty setups and I added
> <one to look the same as my inittab, ie ttyd0. I have tried various setups and I
> <don't see the indicators on my modem change.
> <
> <Finally out of frustration, I edited my inittab file to turn off my port 1 from
> <respawn. I have my modem on port 1. Pcomm seems to execute correctly. I am able
> <to dial out and communicate but only to a point. I am fine until I download a
> <file. After the download completes and terminates, I am unable to communicate
> <with the remote system I am dialed into. It's as if I'm stuck talking to my
> <terminal exclusively. At that point the only thing I can do to terminate the
> <session is to hang up the modem.
> <
> <So, I guess I really have two problems:
> <
> <	1. I have to go to great lengths to modify my inittab file and kill
> <  	   the active uugetty that I have set up on my com port.
> <

To get around the problem with the uugetty holding the line, you have to
tell uugetty out of the way.. to do this firstcheck for a lock file on the
port in /usr/spool/locks. Next, place a lock on the lock file using fcntl and
the F_SETLK. Now open the port and the place a lock on the /dev/ttyxx device.
Next, remove the lock on the lock file and close it. And you can now communi-
cate with the fool thing!

> <	2. After downloading files I am unable to communicate with the remote
> < 	   system.
> <

Put some debug code in to check and make sure that the ioctl modes are getting
reset properly for both the incoming and outgoing ports. Something is
probably not reset right.

> I have pcomm working on a Sun Workstation, but it will not talk with the
> modem on my ISC system either.  I would appreciate suggestions as well.
> --

try the above!

Jay Harbeston