[comp.sources.d] Comments on ABC problems by the authors

timo@cwi.nl (Timo Krijnen) (01/03/91)

We are a little late in responding to the problems that arose around
the posting of the ABC distribution for Unix machines to
comp.sources.unix because our institute was closed between Christmas
and NewYear. Apologies.

1) Missing files.
Aparently somewhere 11 files got lost, either between us and the
moderator or further up the path. That accounts for all those
complaints by the linker.

2) Setup and Unixes.
Setup tries to find out what type of Unix you are running. After it
was written (years ago:-) most unixes got "enhanced". Some
SystemV-look-alikes added BSD-isms and vice versa. We have a new
version which no longer uses SIGCLD and SIGCHLD, but instead tries to
discriminate between BSD-types with SIGXCPU and VTALRM and checks for
System V with SIGPWR. But it uses this only as a suggestion, leaving
the ultimate choice to the installer herself.

3) getwd() versus getcwd().
Oops, we "fixed" that for System V without testing it, because we did
not have any System V machines at the time.

4) compound() and remove()
These are private routines, whose names were invented before they
turned up in standard header files or libraries (like compound() on
Sparcs and remove() in System V).
The fixes are quite easy: add e.g. "#define compound b_compound"
to an apropriate header file (ihdrs/i2par.h in this case).

We are busy producing a posting to fix al these problems.

I have send a mail to Rich Salz asking him to accept our fixes as a
"definite" patch; otherwise we will post to comp.sources.bugs in a
week or so.

Groetjes, timo krijnen (timo@cwi.nl)

send mail to abc-list-request@cwi.nl to join it.
--
 Timo Krijnen
 CWI (Center for Math. & Comp. Science), Amsterdam

craig@attcan.UUCP (Craig Campbell) (01/04/91)

In article <2747@charon.cwi.nl> timo@cwi.nl (Timo Krijnen) writes:

>2) Setup and Unixes.
>Setup tries to find out what type of Unix you are running. After it
>was written (years ago:-) most unixes got "enhanced". Some
>SystemV-look-alikes added BSD-isms and vice versa. We have a new
>version which no longer uses SIGCLD and SIGCHLD, but instead tries to
>discriminate between BSD-types with SIGXCPU and VTALRM and checks for
>System V with SIGPWR. But it uses this only as a suggestion, leaving
>the ultimate choice to the installer herself.

>--
> Timo Krijnen
> CWI (Center for Math. & Comp. Science), Amsterdam
> timo@cwi.nl

Timo, there is what might be considered a better way to determine what type of
system a given package is being compiled on.  That is, the reserved defined
symbols in cpp(1).  For example:

System			Symbols Defined By cpp(1)

AT&T 3B2		unix u3b2
AT&T 3B5		unix u3b5
AT&T 6386		unix i386
AT&T 6486		unix i386   (Oh well, it's still in CI)

etc....

I beleive most (hopefully all) vendors have defines for their unique
systems in their cpp(1) program.  I do not have available other vendors
systems at this time, however, so I cannot verify that or list the defines.
Perhaps other netters could fill you in about these.

If these defines are used to select Berkley/Sys V then hopefully, checking
include files, which may change, will be unnecessary.

Hope this is helpful,
(It really does make porting easier...)

craig

nicb@ctr@italy.eu.net (Nicola Bernardini) (01/08/91)

In article <13368@vpk4.UUCP> craig@vpk4.ATT.COM (Craig Campbell) writes:
>In article <2747@charon.cwi.nl> timo@cwi.nl (Timo Krijnen) writes:
>
>>2) Setup and Unixes.
>>Setup tries to find out what type of Unix you are running. After it
>>was written (years ago:-) most unixes got "enhanced". Some
>>SystemV-look-alikes added BSD-isms and vice versa. We have a new
>>version which no longer uses SIGCLD and SIGCHLD, but instead tries to
>
> ... etc., etc.
>
>Timo, there is what might be considered a better way to determine what type of
>system a given package is being compiled on.  That is, the reserved defined
>symbols in cpp(1).  For example:
>
>System			Symbols Defined By cpp(1)
>
>AT&T 3B2		unix u3b2
>AT&T 3B5		unix u3b5
>AT&T 6386		unix i386
>AT&T 6486		unix i386   (Oh well, it's still in CI)
>
>etc....
>
>I beleive most (hopefully all) vendors have defines for their unique
>systems in their cpp(1) program.  I do not have available other vendors
>systems at this time, however, so I cannot verify that or list the defines.
>Perhaps other netters could fill you in about these.
>
>If these defines are used to select Berkley/Sys V then hopefully, checking
>include files, which may change, will be unnecessary.

I think there is also a standard coming up for manifest defines,
is'nt it? things like M_I386 on a 386 and so on.
(A lot of header files tend to want a little bit
of everything, like i386, M_I386, SYS_V, SYSV, etc.)
Nicola Bernardini -  nicb%ctr@italy.eu.net
Centro Tempo Reale
Villa Strozzi
Via Pisana, 77