[comp.sources.d] "But _I_ can't FTP..."

art@felix.UUCP (Art Dederick) (01/17/91)

Other than bitftp, what other alternatives do UUCP only sites have?
I've tried for years to get internet equipment in-house, no luck, so
I'm left with UUCP.

As people stop posting sources and instead post an article such as
"can be found at ...", it becomes increasingly difficult to obtain
these sources.

Is there another transfer media besides UUCP and internet that is low
in initial hardware cost, something that could get passed the local bean
counters without raising an eyebrow?

Art Dederick
{oliveb,spsd,ccicpg,dhw68k}!felix!art
(714)966-3618

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (01/20/91)

In article <155824@felix.UUCP> art@felix.UUCP (Art Dederick) writes:
>Other than bitftp, what other alternatives do UUCP only sites have?

You have answered your own question.  UUCP itself works just fine for
retrieving files.

There are a number of archive sites around the country offering
anonymous UUCP for the price of the phone call.  Osu-cis is one of them.
Read comp.archives for periodic listings.  UUNET also offers anonymous
UUCP although they do it with a 900 number (clever idea).

Now this doesn't help when Bjorn Bjornson announces that he's put his
latest Swedish Meatballs recipe in the FTP directory on ibsen.se.  And
actually this is the perfect moment for BITFTP -- the file is short,
nobody's likely to get overwhelmed providing access.  But suppose it's
the complete 'xinge' package in 39 parts?  What do you do?

Three options exist.  One, ignore the damn thing until you see it posted
in-country.  (Are all these windowing biorhythm simulators really THAT
important?  I wonder.)  Two, send Bjorn a magtape and some stamps and
thank him for being such a mensch.  Three, talk to your friendly
neighborhood Internet site and get THEM to FTP it into their public
directory, where you AND others can grab it via anon-UUCP, see above.

mark@premenos.premenos.COM (Mark Grand) (01/22/91)

In article <17532024@bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:

   There are a number of archive sites around the country offering
   anonymous UUCP for the price of the phone call.  Osu-cis is one of them.
   Read comp.archives for periodic listings.  UUNET also offers anonymous
   UUCP although they do it with a 900 number (clever idea).

What are the phone numbers?
--
========

Mark Grand
Premenos Corporation                415-602-2073
1000 Burnett Avenue, Suite 200
Concord, CA   94520                 ...!attmail!premenos
				    ...!{sun, ames, att}!pacbell!premenos!mark
--
========

Mark Grand
Premenos Corporation                415-602-2073

jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) (01/22/91)

Let's turn this discussion around for a moment. I can ftp, but what about
alt.sources? Is there an FTP site somewhere trying to archive the group?
My feed doesn't get alt.*, apparently by policy (Stan, correct me if I'm
wrong), so I can't directly snarf things that appear there. The author of
one package recently posted there doesn't want to mail code to all and sundry
over a several-hop UUCP route to reach the Internet, and I can't really blame
him. This problem is most acute for alt.sources, since there are well-known
archive sites for most of the comp.sources.* groups (except c.s.games, whose
archive is only available via anonymous uucp). Help?

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.

art@felix.UUCP (Art Dederick) (01/24/91)

In article <17532024@bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
>Now this doesn't help when Bjorn Bjornson announces that he's put his
>latest Swedish Meatballs recipe in the FTP directory on ibsen.se.  And

Perfect example and one that happens all the time.  This does not have
to be out-country though.  Some packages are posted to FTP only sites
in the goog o'l US of A and I'm still not able to get to them.

>Three options exist.  One, ignore the damn thing until you see it posted
>in-country.  (Are all these windowing biorhythm simulators really THAT

I'll be dead before some of this stuff gets posted.

>important?  I wonder.)  Two, send Bjorn a magtape and some stamps and
>thank him for being such a mensch.

Right, I've lost some good tapes & floppies this way not to mention the
"stamps".

>  Three, talk to your friendly
>neighborhood Internet site and get THEM to FTP it into their public
>directory, where you AND others can grab it via anon-UUCP, see above.

What friendly neighborhood Internet site?  I'd give my first born for
an account on a local Internet site (hint hint).

D. Art Dederick
(714) 966-3618
{ccicpg,hplabs,oliveb,spsd,zardoz}!felix!art

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (01/31/91)

In article <4585@lib.tmc.edu> jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) writes:
> but what about alt.sources? Is there an FTP site somewhere trying to
> archive the group?

wuarchive.wustl.edu has an alt.sources archive.

> This problem is most acute for alt.sources, since there are
> well-known archive sites for most of the comp.sources.* groups
> (except c.s.games, whose archive is only available via anonymous
> uucp).

Both wuarchive and ftp.uu.net (at least) archive comp.sources.games...

	...tad

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (01/31/91)

In article <156144@felix.UUCP> art@felix.UUCP (Art Dederick) writes:
> In article <17532024@bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
> >Now this doesn't help when Bjorn Bjornson announces that he's put his
> >latest Swedish Meatballs recipe in the FTP directory on ibsen.se.  And
>
> Perfect example and one that happens all the time.  This does not have
> to be out-country though.  Some packages are posted to FTP only sites
> in the goog o'l US of A and I'm still not able to get to them.

Send mail to the author asking for directions to a UUCP server.  If
you can't find one, ask the author for a one-time direct UUCP
connection.  If there are enough requests, something may be done about
it.

> >Three options exist.  One, ignore the damn thing until you see it posted
> >in-country.  (Are all these windowing biorhythm simulators really THAT
>
> I'll be dead before some of this stuff gets posted.

You answer is moot.  You don't have to wait if you take the pro-active
approach and go get it yourself.

> >important?  I wonder.)  Two, send Bjorn a magtape and some stamps and
> >thank him for being such a mensch.
>
> Right, I've lost some good tapes & floppies this way not to mention the
> "stamps".

Did you ask the recipient of your tapes first?  Did you politely
remind them afterwards?

> >  Three, talk to your friendly
> >neighborhood Internet site and get THEM to FTP it into their public
> >directory, where you AND others can grab it via anon-UUCP, see above.
>
> What friendly neighborhood Internet site?  I'd give my first born for
> an account on a local Internet site (hint hint).

Do you read comp.archives?  Try your local university.  If you point
out to them that you may have to ask for someone to mail things to you
that just might go through them, they may opt for anon-UUCP.

Last, but not least, as others have mentioned, there's UUNET.  If
there's a package not on UUNET, ask them to get it, then use the 1-900
number to anon-UUCP it from them.  I'm sure they will be more than
happy to help you out.
--
							Greg A. Woods
woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada

art@felix.UUCP (Art Dederick) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Jan31.021908.15542@eci386.uucp> woods@eci386.UUCP (Greg A. Woods) writes:
>Send mail to the author asking for directions to a UUCP server.  If
>you can't find one, ask the author for a one-time direct UUCP

Tried both, no luck.

>You answer is moot.  You don't have to wait if you take the pro-active
>approach and go get it yourself.

Believe me, I have been very agressive (but polite) at times to get FTP
only packages via other means.

>Did you ask the recipient of your tapes first?  Did you politely
>remind them afterwards?

Yes to both.  In two cases specifically, the author offered before I
had a chance to ask.

>Last, but not least, as others have mentioned, there's UUNET.  If
>there's a package not on UUNET, ask them to get it, then use the 1-900

Our phones have 1-900 number specifically disabled.  As soon as I
found out about the 1-900 number for UUNET, I tried it, no cigar.

The bottom line is the unwillingness of my company to spend more than
a dime on anything that kills just about every attempt to get better
connected to the rest of the world.  Even netnews has been threatened
a few times.

D. Art Dederick (714)966-3618 {ccicpg,hplabs,oliveb,spsd,zardoz}!felix!art

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (02/08/91)

Sorry to hear about all your bad luck with getting tapes, etc.  I must
admit that in face of your attempts, my comments were rather rude.

In article <156527@felix.UUCP> art@felix.UUCP (Art Dederick) writes:
> Our phones have 1-900 number specifically disabled.  As soon as I
> found out about the 1-900 number for UUNET, I tried it, no cigar.
>
> The bottom line is the unwillingness of my company to spend more than
> a dime on anything that kills just about every attempt to get better
> connected to the rest of the world.  Even netnews has been threatened
> a few times.

Sounds like you need more clout in your company!  On the other hand,
if what you are attempting to get you hands on has business value for
your company, it would be strange if you couldn't get approval to
spend a few bucks.  The UUNET tapes are available starting at $150!
--

art@felix.UUCP (Art Dederick) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb8.011108.4722@eci386.uucp> woods@eci386.UUCP (Greg A. Woods) writes:
>admit that in face of your attempts, my comments were rather rude.

No problem.

>Sounds like you need more clout in your company!  On the other hand,

Does the word "pea-on" ring a bell. :-)

>spend a few bucks.  The UUNET tapes are available starting at $150!

I'm trying to get them.  So far no luck.

FYI - I started using the ftpmail service and actually getting files
back.  If this service stays around I might be out of the woods (no
pun intended).

D. Art Dederick (714) 966-3618 {ccicpg,hplabs,oliveb,spsd,zardoz}!felix!art