[comp.sources.d] File players/default missing from MDG...

dean@coplex.uucp (Dean Brooks) (02/21/91)

   The recently distributed MDG multi-user dungeon game looks
wonderful, and compiled perfectly on our machine.  However, there
seems to be a rather important file missing that would normally
reside in /usr/games/lib/mdg/players.  The file is supposed to be
called "default", to give the default setting for a new player.

   I created a blank default file, but it brings me into the game
with no hit-point, so I immediately die.  Anyone have this file?

--
dean@coplex.UUCP   Dean A. Brooks
                   Copper Electronics, Inc.

rosalia@max.physics.sunysb.edu (Mark Galassi) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb20.174300.23010@coplex.uucp> dean@coplex.uucp (Dean Brooks) writes:

>   I created a blank default file, but it brings me into the game
>with no hit-point, so I immediately die.  Anyone have this file?

Here is what I did:  I made the blank file, then I made myself
a character (with "mdg_char") who had everything set to zero. Then
I took that file, changed the numbers from zero to other values,
and replaced the "default" file.  Now new players get something.

I still don't know exactly what the file format is, but the various
numbers correspond to those you see in the "mdg_char" program.
--
    {These opinions are mine, and should be everybody else's :-)}
	Mark Galassi		rosalia@dirac.physics.sunysb.edu

grady@fx.com (Steven Grady) (02/23/91)

rosalia@max.physics.sunysb.edu (Mark Galassi) writes:

>In article <1991Feb20.174300.23010@coplex.uucp> dean@coplex.uucp (Dean Brooks) writes:

>>   I created a blank default file, but it brings me into the game
>>with no hit-point, so I immediately die.  Anyone have this file?

>I still don't know exactly what the file format is, but the various
>numbers correspond to those you see in the "mdg_char" program.

By looking at the code, I came up with this default.  It's not very good,
but it works..:
--cut-here--

200
0 0 0 0 0 0 100 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
10:10
5:5
0
[0/0]
3
0
0
al = 1
--cut-here--
Format:
	Name
	Gold
	[abilities in the 26 spells -- how much effort has been put
	 into learning each one]
	maxHP:HP
	maxSP:SP
	fightingAbility
	[startingSect/home]
	extraLives
	oldTime
	creationPoints
	al = alignment
Probably "fightingAbility" should be higher than 0, but I don't know a
good value..

I suspect with a real version of "default", this game could be fun, but I
don't have time to play-test to determine good values, and right now
the game is kind of boring. (I haven't found any objects or gold, and I die
before I can kill more than a rat or two..)
--
	Steven
	grady@fx.com

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (02/24/91)

In article <1991Feb22.201422.15177@fxgrp.fx.com> grady@fx.com writes:
>I suspect with a real version of "default", this game could be fun, but I
>don't have time to play-test to determine good values, and right now
>the game is kind of boring. (I haven't found any objects or gold, and I die
>before I can kill more than a rat or two..)

No sweat.  Just set your hitpoints up to several thousand, etc, if just for
a while.  It at least lets you look around and check out the game -- you're
the gameadmin, after all... ;-)
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl
--

nyse@nicedel.north.de (Hermann Behrens) (02/25/91)

>No sweat.  Just set your hitpoints up to several thousand, etc, if just for

Does someone know, how to contact a Trader? Is there an other file missing?

ciao, Hermann Behrens
--
Hermann Behrens|Bremerstr. 323|2870 Delmenhorst|04221/71931(DATA)71932(VOICE)

dmw@prism1.UUCP (David Wright) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb22.201422.15177@fxgrp.fx.com> grady@fx.com writes:
>I suspect with a real version of "default", this game could be fun, but I
>don't have time to play-test to determine good values, and right now
>the game is kind of boring. (I haven't found any objects or gold, and I die
>before I can kill more than a rat or two..)
	I think that the problem is that the files have all objects marked as
"out" (IE, randomly dropped by monsters), rather than in the traders shop.
And looking at the code a little, it actually appears items will be removed
from the traders shop after a period of time, and marked as out, which seems
just dumb, IMHO. If you edit your item.start file, and change some of the
[-3] entries at the start of the line to [-4], and set the sector to 0,0 (right
after the [-3]), the items will appear in the traders shop that is to the left
of the home sector. Also, make sure and delete the item.save and item.old files
so that you will force the daemon to read the start file (or just edit your
item.save file).

			Dave

dmw@prism1.UUCP (David Wright) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb24.234225.1459@nicedel.north.de> nyse@nicedel.north.de (Hermann Behrens) writes:

>Does someone know, how to contact a Trader? Is there an other file missing?
	No, but all the items in the items.start file are set to be dropped
by monsters. You should edit the file and make some low-level items like
swords, armour, etc. marked as "in traders". To do this chage the [-3] that
is the first thing on the line to a [-4], and set the row/col numbers (the
next two numbers after the [-3]) to 0. Then delete your items.save and
items.old (make sure the mdg server is down first). When you start the
server the next time there will be items in the traders.

			Dave