[comp.sources.d] MDG - Neat, but Something's not working...

cluther@supernet.dallas.haus.com (Clay Luther) (02/21/91)

I compiled MDG up tried to run it.  The daemon chugs merrily along, invoking
mdg_clock.  Mdg, when run, displays the start up screen.  However, it fails
to connect to the mdg_daemon, saying it doesn't respond, and terminates.

Mdg_save and mdg_stop both work properly and appear to be able to talk to the
daemon.  Here is the errorlog:

clock started.
writing game save...
writing game save...
Shutdown called...
writing game save...

Also, where is the default player file?  And other help?

We are running a SysVr3.2 system.
--
Clay Luther, Postmaster          cluther@supernet.dallas.haus.com
  Harris Adacom Corporation      cluther@enigma.dallas.haus.com

nyse@nicedel.north.de (Hermann Behrens) (02/23/91)

cluther@supernet.dallas.haus.com (Clay Luther) writes:

Hello mdg-players.

>I compiled MDG up tried to run it.  The daemon chugs merrily along, invoking
>mdg_clock.  Mdg, when run, displays the start up screen.  However, it fails
>to connect to the mdg_daemon, saying it doesn't respond, and terminates.

It is important, that mdg finds a default in mdg_dir/players/.

A friend of me(theb@ed209.north.de) has examined the structure of the
players-file. Here it comes:
-----
name
gold
spells[0] ... spells[12]
spells[13] ... spells[25]
max_hp:hitpoints
max_mp:magicpts
fighting
[loc.sector/home]
lives
time
createpts
al = alignment
-----
These are the fields in a normal player-filed. And here is an example:

-----
wizard
1000
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
100:0
100:0
0
[0/0]
1
0
0
al = 0
-----

I hope, the author will post a better players-field.

Money is very important to buy a spell(i think, lihting is good in the
beginning).

ciao, Hermann Behrens
--
Hermann Behrens | Bremerstr. 323 | 2870 Delmenhorst
V32bis/V42bis/HST : 04221/71931 login: gast no passwd.

cccstevn@muttly (Steve Ansell) (02/23/91)

In article <1991Feb20.231003.21485@supernet.dallas.haus.com> cluther@supernet.dallas.haus.com (Clay Luther) writes:
>I compiled MDG up tried to run it.  The daemon chugs merrily along, invoking
>mdg_clock.  Mdg, when run, displays the start up screen.  However, it fails
>to connect to the mdg_daemon, saying it doesn't respond, and terminates.

I had this problem also, and it may be due to a couple of problems.  First
since mdg has no install directive in its makefile you have to be sure
everything is where it is supposed to be.  Specifiacally make sure that
the "ident" program resides in GAME_HOME/bin/.  More importantly you need
a "default" character file in GAME_HOME/players.  Without this the game can't
create characters for the players.  You can either just make an empty file or
try to understand the file structure (check plystruct.h).  If you have more
problems I can send you a (relatively weak) default character.  If you get
it running, it really is a fun game, but I would suggest a fast machine if you
plan on having more than 3 players in the game at a time.

						-Steven T. Ansell
						Unix Consultant
						Computing Services U.C.D.

fkk@stasys.sta.sub.org (Frank Kaefer) (02/24/91)

cluther@supernet.dallas.haus.com (Clay Luther) writes:

|I compiled MDG up tried to run it.  The daemon chugs merrily along, invoking
|mdg_clock.  Mdg, when run, displays the start up screen.  However, it fails
|to connect to the mdg_daemon, saying it doesn't respond, and terminates.

|Mdg_save and mdg_stop both work properly and appear to be able to talk to the
|daemon.  Here is the errorlog:

I got exactly the same problem, using Interactive 2.2. I haven't tried
on my sun IPC yet.

Any hints welcome!

Cheers,
Frank
--
| Frank Kaefer | fkk@stasys.sta.sub.org | Starnberg, Germany |
| Compuserve: 72427,2101   | Internet: fkk@Germany.Sun.COM   |

dmw@prism1.UUCP (David Wright) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb20.231003.21485@supernet.dallas.haus.com> cluther@supernet.dallas.haus.com (Clay Luther) writes:
>Mdg_save and mdg_stop both work properly and appear to be able to talk to the
>daemon.  Here is the errorlog:
	Actually, for me they tend to not work as well. I have to use kill to
stop them, and it appears that the mdg daemon is smart enough to save and flush
when it sees a kill signal.

	When I try to run the player "mdg" program, it will (usually) the
first time start up fine, and let me play one game. But it will not let me play
any more games after that. When compiling it I got warnings in dmain.c,
godpower.c, and gmain.c. I am running SCO Unix 3.2.2.

				Dave

ache@hq.demos.su (Andrew A. Chernov) (02/27/91)

In <2195@stasys.sta.sub.org> fkk@stasys.sta.sub.org (Frank Kaefer) writes:

>cluther@supernet.dallas.haus.com (Clay Luther) writes:

>|I compiled MDG up tried to run it.  The daemon chugs merrily along, invoking
>|mdg_clock.  Mdg, when run, displays the start up screen.  However, it fails
>|to connect to the mdg_daemon, saying it doesn't respond, and terminates.

>|Mdg_save and mdg_stop both work properly and appear to be able to talk to the
>|daemon.  Here is the errorlog:

>I got exactly the same problem, using Interactive 2.2. I haven't tried
>on my sun IPC yet.

>Any hints welcome!

Main Hint: create file /usr/games/mdg_dir/players/default
-------------------------- CUT HERE -----------------------

200
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0