[comp.sources.d] Anyone implemented JPEG image compression algorithm?

ktong@rtop71.jpl.nasa.gov (Kevin Tong) (03/07/91)

Has anyone implemented the JPEG image compression algorithm in
software?

If anyone has, I would be interested in your source code.  It doesn't
matter if you have implemented the standard completely, just need
the sources to test and do some research.

Thanks.

- Kevin Tong
ktong@rtop71.jpl.nasa.gov
Kevin Tong, (818)354-0657	Jet Propulsion Laboratory, MS 238-420
ktong@rtop71.jpl.nasa.gov	Pasadena, CA  91109

kjp@fig.ucsb.edu (03/07/91)

In <1991Mar6.163730.23822@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov> ktong@rtop71.jpl.nasa.gov (Kevin Tong) writes:

>Has anyone implemented the JPEG image compression algorithm in
>software?
>If anyone has, I would be interested in your source code.  It doesn't
>matter if you have implemented the standard completely, just need
>the sources to test and do some research.

The only software implementation that I've seen is a program called
Image Alchemy, which is cripple-ware, no sources.  However, as I
understand, there is a group currently working on a freeware version
but I don't know where they can be contacted.

6600kjp@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu
kjp@cs.ucsb.edu

readdm@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David M. Read) (03/07/91)

In article <9683@hub.ucsb.edu> kjp@fig.ucsb.edu writes:
>The only software implementation that I've seen is a program called
>Image Alchemy, which is cripple-ware, no sources.  However, as I
>understand, there is a group currently working on a freeware version
>but I don't know where they can be contacted.
>
>6600kjp@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu
>kjp@cs.ucsb.edu

You can contact the JPEG group by mailing to jpeg@think.com, or (I may
be wrong on this one!  It's been a while!) ortiz@think.com.  Luis is
administrating the mailing list.

Current status: members of the group attended a recent meeting of JPEG
developers where a standard file format was discussed.  Currently
there *is* a test version written, although recent developments (i.e.
the conference) indicate that we may be switching which color-space we
work in.

Join the list if you want more up-to-date info...

--
Dave Read                 | readdm@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  | ...in large, friendly
UT-Austin Nuclear Physics | read@physics.utexas.edu    | letters, were the words