[comp.sources.d] Problem building calentool

keith@sequoia.execu.com (Keith Pyle) (04/08/91)

On a Sun 3 running SunOS 4.1 (not 4.1.1 yet), I had a slight problem
building version 2.2 of calentool just posted to comp.sources.misc:

cc -O   -target sun3 -c  calentool.c
cc: Fatal error in as: Bus error (core dumped)
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `calentool.o'

This occurs with the unmodified source, with or without optimization.
The README mentions success on a Sun 3 only under SunOS 3.5.  Has
anyone built calentool successfully under SunOS 4.x on a Sun 3?  If
not, do we have a bug number from Sun yet?
Keith Pyle                                UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!execu!keith
Comshare, Inc., Austin, Texas             Internet: keith@execu.com
"It's 10 o'clock.  Do you know where      Disclaimer: Everything I say is
   your child processes are?"               true unless I use the word 'the'.

billr@saab.tek.com (Bill Randle) (04/09/91)

In article <35001@sequoia.execu.com> keith@sequoia.execu.com (Keith Pyle) writes:
>On a Sun 3 running SunOS 4.1 (not 4.1.1 yet), I had a slight problem
>building version 2.2 of calentool just posted to comp.sources.misc:
>
>cc -O   -target sun3 -c  calentool.c
>cc: Fatal error in as: Bus error (core dumped)

I just tried this on one of our 3/60's running SunOS 4.1 and it compiled
with no errors.  I used the cc command as above with an unmodified source
file.  If anyone else is having problems, please let me know.

	-Bill Randle
	Tektronix, Inc.
	billr@saab.CNA.TEK.COM
	Author/Maintainer of calentool

keith@sequoia.UUCP (Keith Pyle) (04/09/91)

The problem building calentool turned out to be none of the following: (1) a
bug in SunOS, (2) a bug in as, (3) anything odd in the calentool code, or
(4) user error.  So what's left?  How about a disk error in one of the blocks
containing as?  Sigh...