[comp.sources.d] COMPRESS bug? Has this happened to YOU?

forrie@morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) (04/16/91)

I have had, a few times, an interesting thing happen to me when using
this newer version of compress:

$Header: compress.c,v 4.0 85/07/30 12:50:00 joe Release $

When I am in the middle of 'zcat'ing a file, and I stop/interrupt, suddenly
the file I was looking at disappears and is gone without a trace.

Can anyone explain why this is so?  I think I will revert back to the older
version of compress that I had, as I never had problems with it.

Thanks,

Forrie

PS:  I snarfed this version of compress from the gnu archives on
prep.ai.mit.edu ...

--

--------------------=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--------------------
Forrest Aldrich, Jr.|   ...uunet!eci!morwyn!forrie       |forrie@morywn.UUCP

dwm@wo.msc.umn.edu (Don Mears) (04/17/91)

In <82@morwyn.UUCP> forrie@morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) writes:
>When I am in the middle of 'zcat'ing a file, and I stop/interrupt, suddenly
>the file I was looking at disappears and is gone without a trace.

This feature can be removed with patches on:
	uunet.uu.net:  comp.sources.misc/volume6/compress-patch.Z

dwm@msc.edu         Donald W. Mears @ Minnesota Supercomputer Center

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (04/18/91)

=
=This feature can be removed with patches on:
=	uunet.uu.net:  comp.sources.misc/volume6/compress-patch.Z
=
=dwm@msc.edu         Donald W. Mears @ Minnesota Supercomputer Center

Or he can try V4.3.

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math