[comp.sources.d] v01INF1: Status - Status of comp.sources.reviewed

Andrew Patrick <csr@calvin.doc.ca> (04/11/91)

Submitted-by: Andrew Patrick <csr@calvin.doc.ca>
Posting-number: Volume 1, Info 1
Archive-name: Status

Comp.sources.reviewed is now an official moderated newsgroup, and the
"newgroup" control message has been posted.  (If you are not familiar
with the purpose of comp.sources.reviewed, see the Introduction message
in a companion posting.) The contact address for comp.sources.reviewed
is "csr@calvin.doc.ca".

There has been a lot of activity "behind-the-scenes" among the reviewers
in getting the newsgroup setup.  We are now ready to accept, review, and
post sources.  A set of Guidelines for Submissions is contained in a
companion posting.  We expect that these Guidelines will be revised from
time to time as we get into the review process, so your comments are
always welcome.

It looks like the official archives for comp.sources.reviewed will be
housed on uunet.uu.net, in a format similar to that used by the other
comp.sources.* groups.

We would like to thank Kent Landfield, Rich Salz, Andrew Partan, and
Steve Kinzler (among others) for providing their software and/or
assistance.  Their generosity has helped in getting this group set-up.

--
        Andrew Patrick acting as Comp.Sources.Reviewed Moderator
              Department of Communications, Ottawa, CANADA

Should the referenced message (originally in comp.sources.reviewed as
well) have been cross-posted here? I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

(I know it should have had Followup-To: comp.sources.d.)

In article <1991Apr11.022612.2522@rick.doc.ca> csr@calvin.doc.ca (Andrew Patrick) writes:
> There has been a lot of activity "behind-the-scenes" among the reviewers
> in getting the newsgroup setup.

Of course. So all the people who voted for the group are now getting
a group that may only loosely correspond to what was proposed at first.
This isn't a flame, just an observation.

---Dan

In article <9418:Apr1121:48:4291@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>, brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
|> In article <1991Apr11.022612.2522@rick.doc.ca> csr@calvin.doc.ca (Andrew Patrick) writes:
|> > There has been a lot of activity "behind-the-scenes" among the reviewers
|> > in getting the newsgroup setup.
|>
|> Of course. So all the people who voted for the group are now getting
|> a group that may only loosely correspond to what was proposed at first.
|> This isn't a flame, just an observation.

  It is an observation that has no basis in reality, and sounds like more of
your illogical flaming about this newsgroup.

  The "behind-the-scenes activity" Andrew is referring to is the ironing out
of the administrative details which will allow the submission and review
process to operate effectively, AS IT WAS PROPOSED.  The activity referred to
was conducted within the framework of WHAT WAS PROPOSED.

  What reason do you have to believe that just because the reviewers talked
about the newsgroup in E-mail, it will not provide the functionality that was
proposed in the charter upon which the Usenet voted?  Or are you saying that
the various people who have agreed to be reviewers for the group are not
allowed to correspond with each other in private E-mail, because the mere act
of doing so makes them somehow unable to meet the charter of the group?

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) (04/12/91)

In article <9418:Apr1121:48:4291@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>In article <1991Apr11.022612.2522@rick.doc.ca> csr@calvin.doc.ca (Andrew Patrick) writes:
>> There has been a lot of activity "behind-the-scenes" among the reviewers
>> in getting the newsgroup setup.
>
>Of course. So all the people who voted for the group are now getting
>a group that may only loosely correspond to what was proposed at first.
>This isn't a flame, just an observation.

How, pray tell, do you reach this conclusion?

Don't get me wrong, I didn't vote for the group either.  But it seems
to me that some amount of "behind the scenes" work has to occur for
just about anything that is set up on the net, simply because this
isn't real life - we aren't working in the same office building and
can't "watch" everything that goes on.

I will probably never submit anything to the group.  It seems pointless
and redundant and spiteful.  You want feedback and testing - use
alt.sources as your beta-test facility, then pick one of the other
groups for the finished product.
--
John F. Haugh II        | Distribution to  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832 | GEnie PROHIBITED :-) |  Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org

scs@iti.org (Steve Simmons) (04/12/91)

brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

>In article <1991Apr11.022612.2522@rick.doc.ca> csr@calvin.doc.ca (Andrew Patrick) writes:
>> There has been a lot of activity "behind-the-scenes" among the reviewers
>> in getting the newsgroup setup.

>Of course. So all the people who voted for the group are now getting
>a group that may only loosely correspond to what was proposed at first.
>This isn't a flame, just an observation.

And one with no basis in fact.  We're ironing out the rules on notifying
submitters, when reviewers have to get data back to the moderators, etc,
etc.  Purely administrative.  Note the "we".  I speak from facts, not
guesses.
--
"Our informal mission is to improve the love life of operators worldwide."
  Peter Behrendt, president of Exabyte.  Quoted in Digital Review, Feb 4, 1991.

In article <scs.671464069@hela.iti.org> scs@iti.org (Steve Simmons) writes:
> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
> >Of course. So all the people who voted for the group are now getting
> >a group that may only loosely correspond to what was proposed at first.
> >This isn't a flame, just an observation.
> And one with no basis in fact.  We're ironing out the rules on notifying
> submitters, when reviewers have to get data back to the moderators, etc,
> etc.  Purely administrative.  Note the "we".  I speak from facts, not
> guesses.

Oh, really? I suppose that the difference between unpublished, anonymous
reviews and published, credited reviews is ``purely administrative''?

Or are you going to claim that you're not considering such a change?

Sorry, but that isn't ``ironing out the rules'' like the twiddling in
your examples. The fact is that the basic workings of the group were not
settled before the vote, and you're only now making up rules that will
entirely determine the nature of comp.sources.reviewed. Again, I don't
mind this; I didn't vote for the group, so I'm not going to feel cheated
if it ends up wildly different from the original proposals.

What I do mind is that you're pretending to have modelled the process on
journal publication. I wonder how many of the comp.sources.reviewed
reviewers have ever been referees, let alone editors, of professional or
academic journals---especially since the current c.s.r rules have almost
nothing in common with those of any established publication.

---Dan

In article <19199@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:
> In article <9418:Apr1121:48:4291@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
> >Of course. So all the people who voted for the group are now getting
> >a group that may only loosely correspond to what was proposed at first.
> >This isn't a flame, just an observation.
> How, pray tell, do you reach this conclusion?

The reviewers are still arguing even the most basic issues: anonymity
and publication of reviews. Sure, they need to work privately to iron
out details and write up appropriate guidelines and organize the group's
first big review, but they should feel some responsibility towards the
people who gave them a place to show some results.

> I will probably never submit anything to the group.  It seems pointless
> and redundant and spiteful.  You want feedback and testing - use
> alt.sources as your beta-test facility, then pick one of the other
> groups for the finished product.

Yeah. I keep trying to figure out what c.s.r would do for any of my
code that alt.sources and Brandon/Kent and Rich wouldn't or didn't do.
I keep coming up with the same answer: longer lead times. Yay.

---Dan

nolan@helios.unl.edu (Michael Nolan) (04/14/91)

brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

>Oh, really? I suppose that the difference between unpublished, anonymous
>reviews and published, credited reviews is ``purely administrative''?

>I didn't vote for the group, so I'm not going to feel cheated
>if it ends up wildly different from the original proposals.

>What I do mind is that you're pretending to have modelled the process on
>journal publication. I wonder how many of the comp.sources.reviewed
>reviewers have ever been referees, let alone editors, of professional or
>academic journals---especially since the current c.s.r rules have almost
>nothing in common with those of any established publication.

Well, Dan, I have served as a referee for a professional journal, have
served as the graduate assistant for an editor of a professional journal,
have served as the editor for a publication (not a refereed one, though),
and have also written reviews of software which were published in
the computer trade papers under my byline.  I've written articles for
refereed publications which have been subjected to the reviewing process.
I have also served as a beta tester for computer software.  I have also
followed the c.s.r group from the first tentative CFD some six months or so ago.

Incidentally, that first post called for the creation of a reviewing
process like that used for professional journals, so the insistence of
anonymity for those reviewers who desire it should not come as much of
a shock.  Personally, as a reviewer for c.s.r,  I don't feel that anonymity is
much of an issue for me, and I've said as much in the discussion within
the c.s.r reviewers on the drafting of the guidelines.  It may well be that
after the group is created it is discovered that anonymity is a non-issue.
The guidelines (as I interpret them) permit individual reviewers to choose
whether or not they desire to remain anonymous.

I think the problem here is that the c.s.r discussion becamed muddled with that
concerning Rich Saltz and the periodic comp.sources delays.  I really don't
want to rekindle that flame feud, and I see c.s.r as an alternative means
of code distribution, not as a replacement.  There are currently two or
three alternatives to comp.sources, c.s.r is just another option.

I don't have a copy of the guide for reviewers for a refereed periodical
handy at present, but I could lay my hands on one if necessary.  As I
recall them, though, they seem to have the same spirit as c.s.r, although
the process is different because of the distribution system.  What do you
find different that isn't related to the distribution system?

So you didn't vote for c.s.r.  Big deal.  You lost.  If you don't want to
participate in it, unsubscribe to the group and don't submit any sources
to it.  (You _do_ submit sources to the net, don't you?)
-------
Michael Nolan                               This is my .sig
Internet:  nolan@helios.unl.edu             T*His_iS#MY%.SIg oN DrUGs!@%#@%
UUCP:      tssi!nolan                       Any questions?

csr@calvin.doc.ca (Andrew Patrick as CSR Moderator) (04/14/91)

In article <16831:Apr1306:25:0591@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

>The reviewers are still arguing even the most basic issues: anonymity
>and publication of reviews. Sure, they need to work privately to iron
>out details and write up appropriate guidelines and organize the group's
>first big review, but they should feel some responsibility towards the
>people who gave them a place to show some results.

Publication of the reviews has never been a point of discussion -- it
was included in the original charter, and nothing has changed.
Reviews will be published along with the software.

The anonymity of the reviewers has been discussed, with the result
being that reviewers will remain anonymous unless then wish to reveal
themselves.  This is what the reviewers wanted.

--

In article <16390:Apr1305:56:2091@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>, brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
|> What I do mind is that you're pretending to have modelled the process on
|> journal publication. I wonder how many of the comp.sources.reviewed
|> reviewers have ever been referees, let alone editors, of professional or
|> academic journals---especially since the current c.s.r rules have almost
|> nothing in common with those of any established publication.

  It is my impression that Dan is arguing that the moderator and reviewers of
c.s.r are doing something improper, because they are claiming to model the
newsgroup on the journal review process, when they don't know how that process
actually works.

  Dan has further claimed that the people who voted for the newsgroup are
therefore being cheated, because they voted for a newsgroup modelled on the
journal review process, and that's not what they're getting.

  It seems to me that there is a fatal flaw in Dan's argument.  It is very
unlikely that, as a whole, the people who voted for the group know more about
the "real" journal review process than the moderator and reviewers.
Furthermore, when the group was being discussed, I think it was made quite
clear how the moderator intended to run things.

  Therefore, it seems to me that what the voters were voting on were what they
*thought* the group was going to be like, not what the "real" journal review
process is like.  If that's the case, then Dan, they're getting exactly what
they voted for.

  In other words, if we said that we were going to do things like an academic
journal, and the people who voted "yes" for the group have the same idea as we
do about how academic journals do things, then they're getting what they voted
for, even if we're all wrong about how academic journals actually work.

  In any case, I think all of this argument is stupid and useless.  As I have
recently pointed out to someone else in E-mail when discussing a newsgroup,
groups do not always end up doing exactly what was specified in their
charters, and this is not necessarily a bad thing.  Now that the group has
been created, if it provides a service that the Usenet as a whole finds
useful, then it will flourish, and if it does not, then it will whither and
die.

  My impression is that Mr. Bernstein seems to be saying that the people who
voted for the group were not smart enough to understand what they were voting
for.  I find that assertion offensive.

--

In article <1991Apr14.190013.9991@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>   It seems to me that there is a fatal flaw in Dan's argument.  It is very
> unlikely that, as a whole, the people who voted for the group know more about
> the "real" journal review process than the moderator and reviewers.
  [ ... ]
>   My impression is that Mr. Bernstein seems to be saying that the people who
> voted for the group were not smart enough to understand what they were voting
> for.  I find that assertion offensive.

No. In fact, it is you, Mr. Kamens, who have explicitly made such an
assertion. I find it rather funny that you can expose a ``fatal flaw''
in my argument by making a claim which, you later insist, is offensive.

Even if everyone in the world knew everything about journal publication,
it wouldn't have a whole lot to do with the group. The previously posted
guidelines for comp.sources.reviewed have very little in common with
journal publication except the general concept of a reviewer/referee.
Perhaps they will change radically, but that would prove that the
reviewers are failing to uphold their responsibility to the voters.

---Dan

In article <nolan.671566523@helios> nolan@helios.unl.edu writes:
> Incidentally, that first post called for the creation of a reviewing
> process like that used for professional journals, so the insistence of
> anonymity for those reviewers who desire it should not come as much of
> a shock.

The shock is that you would have even considered the opposite. It is
exceedingly rare for a referee to give his name. Ever. And referee
reports are NEVER published. Yet the original guidelines say this:

: - reviewers return evaluations to moderator (based on guidelines
:   described an another document)
: - moderator compiles evaluations and makes final publication decision
: - if submission is accepted:
: 	- moderator discusses evaluations with author
: 	- moderator posts sources and evaluations

Now I would almost believe that you didn't mean it this way: that the
moderator not only compiles the evaluations, but removes all referee
names from them, and that ``posts sources and evaluations'' was just a
big typo for ``posts sources.'' But the guidelines go on:

: Reviewers may contact you for information and clarification,

Face it: this has absolutely nothing to do with journal publication.
The editor is the author's sole contact; reviewers simply do not contact
authors. Yet there is not a hint of the traditional anonymity in these
guidelines.

> There are currently two or
> three alternatives to comp.sources, c.s.r is just another option.

That's one of its biggest problems.

> (You _do_ submit sources to the net, don't you?)

Yes. I invite you---any of you---to explain what comp.sources.reviewed
would have done for my latest package, volume24/yabbawhap in c.s.unix.
Rich made no changes to it, so it's easy competition, right? Surely you
can point out *some* advantage in your precious ``reviewing'' process.
All I see is that c.s.reviewed would take weeks where Rich took days.

---Dan

In article <16831:Apr1306:25:0591@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>, brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
|> The reviewers are still arguing even the most basic issues: anonymity
|> and publication of reviews. Sure, they need to work privately to iron
|> out details and write up appropriate guidelines and organize the group's
|> first big review, but they should feel some responsibility towards the
|> people who gave them a place to show some results.

  If the people who voted for the newsgroup decide that it has not met their
expectations, then they will not use it and it will whither and die.

  Dan, I do not believe that you are qualified to decide for all of those
people whether or not the group is meeting their expectations.  I believe that
those people are the only ones who can decide whether their own expectations
are being met.

|> Yeah. I keep trying to figure out what c.s.r would do for any of my
|> code that alt.sources and Brandon/Kent and Rich wouldn't or didn't do.
|> I keep coming up with the same answer: longer lead times. Yay.

  I have had "lead times" of eight months in comp.sources.unix.  I do not
believe that c.s.r will ever have a program submitted and still not either
posted or rejected eight months later.  I have been told by Rich Salz that he
would post a patch from me "in the morning," and then waited for six months
without seeing that patch posted.

  Alt.sources has no moderation, no checking whatsoever.  Obviously, c.s.r
provides a service that it does not.

  Comp.sources.misc has not extensive checking of any sort, such as what Rich
does; indeed, its charter states that the purpose of the moderation is pretty
much only to make sure that non-source postings don't get posted there.
C.s.r's review process, which will allow several people to get their hands on
a program and knock the bugs out of it before those bugs are released all over
the net, in my opinion provides something that comp.sources.misc does not.

  Finally, considering the recent performance in comp.sources.unix, it is my
opinion that c.s.r has the potential to provide something that it does not --
more reliable, quicker service, and the ability to *guarantee* that service by
making things more robust (with the large number of people working on the
group, it is unlikely that all of them will suddenly find themselves unable to
devote any time to it for six months).

--

oz@yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr14.190013.9991@athena.mit.edu>
jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:

>  My impression is that Mr. Bernstein seems to be saying that the people who
>voted for the group were not smart enough to understand what they were voting
>for.

I really don't know how you could have formed that impression from what
Dan actually wrote in public. Once can [on occasion] accuse Dan of many
things, but not of under-handed double-talk. If he actually thought the
voters were being stupid, he would have said so. I think he has clearly
noted where he thinks there is a problem, and that does not include the
voters.

oz
---
We only know ... what we know, and    | Internet: oz@nexus.yorku.ca
that is very little. -- Dan Rather    | UUCP: utzoo/utai!yunexus!oz

In article <6338:Apr1420:14:1691@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>, brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
|> No. In fact, it is you, Mr. Kamens, who have explicitly made such an
|> assertion. I find it rather funny that you can expose a ``fatal flaw''
|> in my argument by making a claim which, you later insist, is offensive.

  There is a difference between saying that people do not know how journals
work, and saying that people do not know what they have voted for.

  You have claimed that the reviewers apparently don't know how "real"
journals work.  I have, for the sake of argument, accepted the validity of
that claim (although other postings in this newsgroup disputed it).  I have
then gone on to point out that it is unlikely that the people voting for the
gorup know any more about how "real" journals work than the reviewers.

  However, I then went on to explain that it is quite possible that the people
voting for the newsgroup *think* they know how "real" journals work, or, at
the very least, they think they know how the people proposing and
participating in c.s.r intend for it to work.  If their expectations agree
with those of the moderator and reviewers, then they are getting what they
paid for, so to speak.

  Now, it is YOU who have asserted that people aren't going to get what they
have voted for, which seems to imply that you think they aren't intelligent
enough to understand what they have voted for.  I once again reject that
assertion.  I remain convinced that the people who voted for the newsgroup
understood what was being proposed and voted for that.  Whether or not what
was being proposed was how "real" journals do things is irrelevant; if people
understood the proposal and get what they thought they were getting, then the
vote was completely legitimate.

  Do you have some evidence to back up your claim that people are not getting
what they expected to get?  If so, could you perhaps present it to us?  Thus
far, you seem to be the only person who is vehemently protesting the fact that
people aren't going to get what they voted for.  Also thus far, you have done
little to prove this assertion.

--

In article <1991Apr14.210953.12913@athena.mit.edu>
jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:

>  Now, it is YOU who have asserted that people aren't going to get what they
>have voted for, which seems to imply that you think they aren't intelligent
>enough to understand what they have voted for.

No, it does not imply that at all. If you order over-easy, and get your eggs
scrambled, that does not by default imply you did not know how to order eggs.

oz
---
What ought to disturb us are not mistakes  | Internet: oz@nexus.yorku.ca
in general, but only those of them that we | Uucp: utzoo/utai!yunexus!oz
are powerless to correct.  -- David Miller | Phone: 1+416-736-5257-33976

In article <6787:Apr1420:38:3991@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>, brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
|> Face it: this has absolutely nothing to do with journal publication.
|> The editor is the author's sole contact; reviewers simply do not contact
|> authors. Yet there is not a hint of the traditional anonymity in these
|> guidelines.

  If a journal reviewer decides that there is something ambiguous or unclear
in the paper he is reviewing, he may indicate that in his review, and the
journal may decide that the ambiguity is severe enough that is has to be
corrected (or, of course, they may decide that the paper should be rejected
outright; but that isn't really relevant to the current discussion).  At that
point, the journal will forward the reviewer's comments back to the author,
with all names removed (the anonymity that Dan is defending so vociferously),
and the author has the opportunity to respond to the reviewer's comments if he
feels they are incorrect, or to make corrections if he does not.  (Note that
you can replace "he" with "he/she" in the entire previous paragraph, and the
rest of this posting where appropriate, if you are easily offended by such
things.)

  The way we currently think we'll be doing things in c.s.r, the moderator
will give no indication to the submitter of who the reviewers are.  They will
remain anonymous, unless they choose to contact the submitter directly.  If
they do not want to reveal themselves, and they need to contact the submitter
to ask questions, they can do so through the moderator.  Finally, any comments
that the reviewers have that they think might help people will be included
when the submission is finally posted to c.s.r.

  Mr. Bernstein appears to have three different problems (that I can see) with
this proposed scheme.  First of all, he objects to the idea of the reviewers
ever contacting the submitter at all, anonymous or not.  Second, he objects to
the possibility of unanonymous communication between a reviewer and submitter.
Third, he objects to the idea of reviewers' comments being published when the
submission is posted.

  I see nothing wrong with reviewers contacting the submitter of a package.
It seems no different to me from the forwarding of reviewers' comments back to
the author in the case of a real journal, and I *know* that this happens, at
least in some cases, because my sister is a biologist who has submitted
several papers to several different journals and has, in several different
cases, been given copies of reviewers' comments (with names reviewed) and
asked to respond to them.  The only difference, it seems, is that the c.s.r
process will be iterative and responsive (i.e. a dialogue between the
reviewers and the submitter), while the journal process is usually one-step
(reviewer gets article, reviewer read article, reviewer writes evaluation,
author gets copy of evaluation).  This strikes me as an improvement over the
journal review process, not a flaw.

  Now, as for the question of anonymity.  Dan may turn out to be right -- we
may end up deciding that it was a mistake to ever consider allowing reviewers
to contact submitters and reveal their identities.  However, thus far the only
reason Dan has given for espousing this belief is that that's not the way real
journals do things.  In my opinion, that's not a very persuasive argument.  If
he would tell us why real journals do reviews anonymously, and then explain
why he thinks those reasons apply equally in the case of c.s.r, I might be
more convinced.

  It seems to me that there are several reasons for anonymity in real
journals.  First of all, you may end up reviewing an article written by a
colleague, and you may not want that colleague to find out that it was you who
panned his article and caused it to be rejected.  Second, the colleague whose
article you review today may end up reviewing one of your articles tomorrow,
and if you give him a bad review today, he may do the same to you tomorrow as
revenge (or, on the other hand, if you give him a good review, he may feel
obligated to give you a good review even if you don't deserve it).  The world
of science is very competitive, and it seems to me that these and all the
other reasons for anonymity are attempts to keep that competitiveness from
contaminating the review process.

  I believe that the review process which we will undertake in c.s.r is *not*
competitive, and was not meant to be.  We do not have 100 programmers out
there, all over the world, working on software in the same ground-breaking
field, and competing with each other to be the first to publish their programs
on the net.  For the most part, when a submitter sends us something, he will
probably be the only person working on anything like that, or one of the view,
and it is very unlikely that he will have to feel a need to compete with other
people working on similar projects.  Furthermore, our criticisms will, for the
most part, be of the "you have to fix these problems before this can be
posted" variety, rather than of the "this program is utterly brain-damaged and
we see no reason to post it to this newsgroup or any other variety" variety.

  What all this comes down to is that, in the majority of cases, there is *no
need* for anonymity in the c.s.r reviewing process.  In cases where there *is*
a need for anonymity (for example in the latter case in the last sentence of
the previous paragraph), it has been guaranteed, because reviewers need never
contact the submitter directly.

  If Dan has some reason why he believes that anonymity in the c.s.r review
process will be harmful despite what I have said above, I would like to hear
it.  If his only reason remains, "That's not how real journals do it!" then,
like I have said, I remain unconvinced.

|> > There are currently two or
|> > three alternatives to comp.sources, c.s.r is just another option.
|>
|> That's one of its biggest problems.

  I've never understood this attitude.  Why is giving people more options a
problem?

|> Yes. I invite you---any of you---to explain what comp.sources.reviewed
|> would have done for my latest package, volume24/yabbawhap in c.s.unix.
|> Rich made no changes to it, so it's easy competition, right? Surely you
|> can point out *some* advantage in your precious ``reviewing'' process.
|> All I see is that c.s.reviewed would take weeks where Rich took days.

  First of all, Dan, as I am sure you are aware, arguments of this sort from
the specific to the general hold very little water.  You cannot argue that
because one package would not have benefitted from c.s.r, no packages can
benefit from c.s.r.  The fact that you are attempting to do so seems to me to
cast doubts on your ability to come up with better arguments against c.s.r.

  In any case, the c.s.r reviewing process may have found typos in your
documentation.  It may have found unanticipated OS dependencies that needed to
be removed.  It may have found bugs you were not aware of.  It may have found
any number of problems that neither you or I can anticipate.  Since you seem
to think you know so much about the review process in real journals, you must
know that it is not intended only for the reviewers to find the problems that
the author knows about; it is intended for the reviewers to find any problems
that may be there, including ones that the author may not have anticipated.
Therefore, to answer your question -- the c.s.r review process may have found
problems that you did not anticipate.

  Now, you can argue, "But there were none!" but that's like saying that the
journal review process is unnecessary because all submitters of papers to
journals can guarantee to the journal in advance that their papers have no
problems in them.

  I will give you two counter-examples in response to your one example.  The
"chemtab" package, as originally posted to comp.sources.unix, had so many
problems that I could not install it on my system when I got it.  The
configuration options didn't, and the compile-time options didn't.  I have
talked to Rich Salz privately about this, and he has told me, "Chemtab was a
mistake."  C.s.r would not, in my opinion, have allowed that mistake to
happen.  After all, I could very well have been one of the reviewers, in which
case I would have caught the problems *before* it was posted, in the review
phase, rather than *after* it was posted, which is what happened when it was
posted to c.s.u..

  Another example is my "delete" package.  When the whole comp.sources.unix
flame war was happening in news.admin, I expounded at length about the
problems I had with my package and comp.sources.unix.  I have talked about
that with Rich Salz too, and he has acknowledged that he made mistakes with my
package and apologized (an apology I accepted willingly; I think Rich is a
great guy, and I certainly don't think that anything he did was intentional or
typical).  I truly believe that *none* of the problems I had with my package
in c.s.u would have occurred had I posted it to c.s.r.

--

nolan@helios.unl.edu (Michael Nolan) (04/15/91)

brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

>The shock is that you would have even considered the opposite. It is
>exceedingly rare for a referee to give his name. Ever. And referee
>reports are NEVER published.

Again, having served as a referee, as a graduate student for a very
well published professor, and having had prospective papers reviewed,
there is often a chinese wall between the author and the reviewer.  Face
it, in most academic disciplines the editor tends to send articles to
referees knowledgeable in that area, and quite often they are well-known
to the original author.  I've been present when my professor, in reading
the reviewers report, recognized both the writing style and the viewpoints
of several reviewers.  (And later discussed the comments with them at a
conference where they freely acknowledged being the reviewers.)  The
author is generally supposed to be anonymous to the reviewers, but that
is seldom actually the case.  (The simple rule is to count the number
of papers cited.  The author is often the most cited source.)

The question of publishing the reviews, or of the reviewer contacting the
author are potentially significant issues.  A mechanism which permits the
reviewer to contact the author directly while maintaining anonymity should
not be all that difficult to implement via a relay service maintained by
the moderator of c.s.r.  (I see virtually no way to ensure that the author
is anonymous to the reviewers, though.)

I'm not sure about the desirability of 'publishing' the reviews yet, but
I could see either method (publishing or not publishing) having value.

My cynical side has always suspected that the REAL reason why the comments
of the reviewers are not published is that it gives them an excuse to
write another article.  (Publish or perish, after all!)  I'm not totally
sure of that 'NEVER', though, because I think I've seen excerpts of reviews
in the New England Journal of Medicine editorials.

Michael Nolan
nolan@helios.unl.edu

In article <22406@yunexus.YorkU.CA>, oz@yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) writes:
|> In article <1991Apr14.190013.9991@athena.mit.edu>
|> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
|>
|> >  My impression is that Mr. Bernstein seems to be saying that the people who
|> >voted for the group were not smart enough to understand what they were voting
|> >for.
|>
|> I really don't know how you could have formed that impression from what
|> Dan actually wrote in public.

  Do not assume that my impression of Dan's position on this issue has been
formed solely on the basis of what he has written in public.  He and I have
exchanged E-mail about this.  I will not quote at length from Dan's E-mail,
because I do not believe it is fair to do that without asking him; I will say,
however, that at one point he told me that he felt "shame" for the Usenet
because it had allowed c.s.r to progress as far as it has.

  If he wishes to correct my impression of what he's saying, he can do so.

|> Once can [on occasion] accuse Dan of many
|> things, but not of under-handed double-talk.

  Actually, my impression of Mr. Bernstein is that he does, on occasion,
indulge in "under-handed double-talk."  I believe that much of what he has
written about c.s.r can be characterized as "under-handed double-talk."

|> If he actually thought the
|> voters were being stupid, he would have said so. I think he has clearly
|> noted where he thinks there is a problem, and that does not include the
|> voters.

  What he has said is that c.s.r's advocates are claiming that it will be
based on the journal review process, that people who voted for the group did
so based on that assertion, that in fact c.s.r is *not* based on the journal
process, and that therefore the people who voted for the group are not getting
what they paid for.

  I believe that this argument implies that Dan does not believe the people
who voted for the group are capable of judging exactly what they were voting
for.

  I, on the other hand, believe that either (a) the people who voted for the
group understood that when people said that c.s.r would be "based on" the
journal review process, they meant that the basis would not necessarily be a
one-to-one correspondence between what journals do and what c.s.r would do, or
(b) the people who voted for the group have the same idea of how the relevant
portions of the journal review process works as the group's moderator and
reviewers.

--

In article <1991Apr14.232818.15851@athena.mit.edu>
jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:

>  The way we currently think we'll be doing things in c.s.r, the moderator
>will give no indication to the submitter of who the reviewers are.

Jon, with all due respect, I (and most everybody else) already know at
least two people who will be reviewers, just by the way they posted to
this newsgroup.

Good luck, folks. ;-)

oz
---

jmaynard@thesis1.med.uth.tmc.edu (Jay Maynard) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr14.233634.16185@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>  I, on the other hand, believe that either (a) the people who voted for the
>group understood that when people said that c.s.r would be "based on" the
>journal review process, they meant that the basis would not necessarily be a
>one-to-one correspondence between what journals do and what c.s.r would do, or
>(b) the people who voted for the group have the same idea of how the relevant
>portions of the journal review process works as the group's moderator and
>reviewers.

One data point: I neither know nor care about the exact mechanics of peer-
reviewed journals, as I'm exceedingly unlikely to ever submit an article to
one. I read, understood fully, and voted for comp.sources.reviewed as
proposed. This included an explicit decision that the group's mechanics as
described in the proposal were a Good Thing.

I'm truly at a loss to understand Dan's obvious vendetta against the group.
What's wrong with another outlet for sources? We've seen the extremes of
Rich $alz' response time in postings from Dan and Jonathan, ranging from a
few days to several months. (No comment on Rich's performance as moderator
is intended, as I do not have all the facts.) I believe that c.s.r will not
achieve response times on the order of days, but neither will it take most
of a year, as safeguards have been built into the process.

Dan, if you don't like it, don't submit sources to it, but leave the rest
of us alone while we make use of it.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard@thesis1.med.uth.tmc.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.

In article <22409@yunexus.YorkU.CA>, oz@yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) writes:
|> Jon, with all due respect, I (and most everybody else) already know at
|> least two people who will be reviewers, just by the way they posted to
|> this newsgroup.

  As someone else has pointed out in a recent posting in this newsgroup, in
the scientific field you almost always have a good idea of which people a
journal might choose to review your paper.  In fact, when my sister's first
paper was reviewed, her and the guy in charge of her lab managed to figure out
who one of the reviewers was, because (according to her) he works in the same
field as her in is a bit of an a**hole and panned her paper unfairly so that
he would get to publish similar results before she could.

  There are almost 40 people currently in the queue to be able to review
sources for c.s.r.  If you submit a package for review, then unless you have a
good idea of what kinds of sources each of them has volunteered to review, and
of which of them are very busy and therefore unlikely to accept requests to
review from the moderator, it is no more likely that you will be able to
figure out *which* reviewers have been asked to review your submission than
that you would be able to figure out which scientists have been asked to
review an academic paper submitted by you to a journal.

  In fact, you are probably *less* likely to be able to figure it out in the
case of c.s.r.

  The question is not one of complete anonymity; there are obviously a limited
number of people who are qualified (and available) to review any particular
c.s.r submission or journal submission.  The question is one of degrees of
anonymity -- how likely are you to be able to figure out who's doing the
reviewing?  The journal review process assumes that you won't be able to, but
in many cases you can (there was a recent article in RISKS about a journal
that sent the reviewer's comments to the author, but forgot to cut off the fax
banner at the top of each page indicating the lab from which the comments were
sent :-).  The c.s.r review process will probably be no less successful than
that at keeping reviewers anonymous if they want to be; indeed, if (as Dan
seems to want) we are supposed to emulate a journal exactly, then we should
publish a complete list of exactly what kinds of software each reviewer has
signed up to review, so that submitters have a better chance of guessins who
is doing their reviewing.

--

john@iastate.edu (Hascall John Paul) (04/15/91)

brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
}Yes. I invite you---any of you---to explain what comp.sources.reviewed
}would have done for my latest package, volume24/yabbawhap in c.s.unix.
}Rich made no changes to it, so it's easy competition, right? Surely you
}can point out *some* advantage in your precious ``reviewing'' process.

   As good as Rich is, he has limitations.  He is only one person.
He has only one set of world experiences.  Doubtless, he has other
demands on his time.  And, perhaps most importantly, he (in all
probability) has access to only a limited number of systems on which
to test.

--
John Hascall                        An ill-chosen word is the fool's messenger.
Project Vincent

john@iastate.edu (Hascall John Paul) (04/15/91)

oz@yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) writes:

}jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
}>  The way we currently think we'll be doing things in c.s.r, the moderator
}>will give no indication to the submitter of who the reviewers are.

}Jon, with all due respect, I (and most everybody else) already know at
}least two people who will be reviewers, just by the way they posted to
}this newsgroup.

   As I understand it, there are about 60 reviewers, only a few of whom
will review any given submission.  So, even if you knew all 60, you would
be very unlikely to know which of those reviewed any given submission.

--

In article <1991Apr14.204213.12062@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>   Finally, considering the recent performance in comp.sources.unix, it is my
> opinion that c.s.r has the potential to provide something that it does not --
> more reliable, quicker service, and the ability to *guarantee* that service by
> making things more robust

Okay, I'm willing to believe that comp.sources.reviewed has the
*potential* to provide (marginally) faster service than c.s.unix. Since
this is its biggest (if not only) possible advantage, why don't you try
to imitate a bit of what journals really do: put received, revised, and
(if it matters) accepted dates on each article.

If you commit yourself now to showing what your real delays are, you'll
be able to look back in a few months and show me that I was wrong---if
you have anything published in a few months, that is.

---Dan

In article <1991Apr14.210953.12913@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>   You have claimed that the reviewers apparently don't know how "real"
> journals work.

I asked whether any of them did because I didn't see any evidence at
that point that they did. Apparently some of them do; I hope they have a
hand in fixing the guidelines.

>   Do you have some evidence to back up your claim that people are not getting
> what they expected to get?  If so, could you perhaps present it to us?

Sure. Journals do A. The current guidelines say B. You're considering
changing the guidelines to A. There is absolutely no way that all the
voters can be getting what they expected, unless they expected both A
and B. I find it highly likely that some of the voters would be (e.g.)
as shocked by the idea of publishing reviews as I was, if not more.

Now it could be that people expected A, and you're going to end up with
A, and B was just a big mistake. In that case I'm justified for flaming
it, right?

By the way, I didn't claim at first that people are not getting what
they expected to get. I said that they *may* get something only loosely
correlated with what they voted for. This is obviously true for any
group that considers drastic changes after the vote.

---Dan

In article <1991Apr14.232818.15851@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
> At that
> point, the journal will forward the reviewer's comments back to the author,
> with all names removed (the anonymity that Dan is defending so vociferously),
  [ ... ]
>   The way we currently think we'll be doing things in c.s.r, the moderator
> will give no indication to the submitter of who the reviewers are.  They will
> remain anonymous, unless they choose to contact the submitter directly.

Fine. I'll accept that the guidelines really did mean that reviews will
remain anonymous, though they say no such thing and imply exactly the
opposite.

> Finally, any comments
> that the reviewers have that they think might help people will be included
> when the submission is finally posted to c.s.r.

Fine. I'll accept that ``moderator posts sources and evaluations''
really means ``moderator posts sources, along with any selected comments
that the reviewers think might help people,'' rather than what it says.

>   I see nothing wrong with reviewers contacting the submitter of a package.

It's not *wrong*, just extremely unusual. The guidelines say ``Reviewers
may contact you for information and clarification''; the default in
journal publication is that referees ask the editor to forward comments
and questions.

I'm glad you think you know what you're doing. Apparently that has very
little to do with the guidelines. I suggest you hire a writer.

> It seems no different to me from the forwarding of reviewers' comments back to
> the author in the case of a real journal, and I *know* that this happens,

I'm glad you know something about how journals work.

>   What all this comes down to is that, in the majority of cases, there is *no
> need* for anonymity in the c.s.r reviewing process.

You have the right to your beliefs. Just don't pretend that this has
anything to do with journal publication.

> |> Yes. I invite you---any of you---to explain what comp.sources.reviewed
> |> would have done for my latest package, volume24/yabbawhap in c.s.unix.
> |> Rich made no changes to it, so it's easy competition, right? Surely you
> |> can point out *some* advantage in your precious ``reviewing'' process.
> |> All I see is that c.s.reviewed would take weeks where Rich took days.
  [ ... ]
> Therefore, to answer your question -- the c.s.r review process may have found
> problems that you did not anticipate.

The gamma testing process found lots of problems that I did not
anticipate, but that happened *before* I published the sources.

I again invite you to explain what you would have done with the package,
exactly as it went out on comp.sources.unix. You're saying that you
``may have found problems''; I say you should come down out of the
clouds and try to find problems. The package is right there! Make an
example of it! Have a blast!

  [ in reference to some c.s.unix package ]
> C.s.r would not, in my opinion, have allowed that mistake to
> happen.

Your guidelines give ``nlist'' as a prototypical package name, and
you're saying the group is going to catch mistakes?

---Dan

In article <1991Apr14.030440.1814@rick.doc.ca> csr@calvin.doc.ca (Andrew Patrick as CSR Moderator) writes:
>In article <16831:Apr1306:25:0591@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>
>>The reviewers are still arguing even the most basic issues: anonymity
>>and publication of reviews. Sure, they need to work privately to iron

  I voted against comp.sources.reviewed .  But the group was approved anyway.
Now I am willing to sit back and wait to give the group a chance to prove
itself.

  Why can't we all do that, and stop this silly bickering over the net.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940

scs@iti.org (Steve Simmons) (04/15/91)

brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

>In article <nolan.671566523@helios> nolan@helios.unl.edu writes:
>> Incidentally, that first post called for the creation of a reviewing
>> process like that used for professional journals, so the insistence of
>> anonymity for those reviewers who desire it should not come as much of
>> a shock.

>The shock is that you would have even considered the opposite. It is
>exceedingly rare for a referee to give his name. Ever.

When I edited the LISA proceedings, I (as `moderator') collected the
referees comments, filed off the identifying marks, and passed them
on to the authors.  In several cases the reviewer volunteered to be
identified to the author or asked to contact the author directly.  In
several cases the author asked for clarification on a comment and the
reviewer then made direct contact with the author.  So I would disagree
with "exceedingly rare".

Andrew did originally presume complete anonymity.  I (among others)
asked for permission to contact the author directly if circumstances
seemed to warrant.
--

In article <12409:Apr1513:14:4591@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>You have the right to your beliefs. Just don't pretend that this has
>anything to do with journal publication.

One more time:

*WHAT* *DIFFERENCE* *DOES* *IT* *MAKE*??!

The guidelines as discussed here match what the proposal (which you apparently
didn't read beyond the point where it said that it was *MODELED* on journal
publication) that was voted on said in all material points.

Why can't you drop the subject until we get some actual examples of the process
inaction?
--

wirzenius@cc.helsinki.fi (Lars Wirzenius) (04/15/91)

> |> That's one of its biggest problems.
>
>   I've never understood this attitude.  Why is giving people more options a
> problem?

Doesn't c.s.r accepts and review sources to non-Unix systems as well as
for Unix systems? This alone is a good enough reason to give the group a
try, IMHO (or do there exist moderated, reviewing source groups for most
systems? I don't think I've seen any, but I'm often wrong anyway).

--
Lars Wirzenius    wirzenius@cc.helsinki.fi

The opportunity to get a bunch of extra final-beta testers, with a bunch of
weird hardware, to test my program before it's published? Sounds like a great
idea to me. Not one of us is getting tenure because of what we publish on the
net (though perhaps some folks out there should: Henry, Larry, Dan, ...), so
why force a strict conformity to a mechanism designed for a more highly
competitive environment?
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

In article <12026:Apr1512:29:4191@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>, brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
|> Okay, I'm willing to believe that comp.sources.reviewed has the
|> *potential* to provide (marginally) faster service than c.s.unix. Since
|> this is its biggest (if not only) possible advantage, why don't you try
|> to imitate a bit of what journals really do: put received, revised, and
|> (if it matters) accepted dates on each article.

  Dan, do you deny the claim I have made that a patch I sent to Rich Salz,
which he said he would post to comp.sources.unix, was still unposted eight
months later?

  If you do not deny that, then do you deny the (implicit or explicit) claim I
have made that comp.sources.reviewed will never take close to eight months to
review a package or patch?

  If you do not deny that, then how can you say that the potential in
comp.sources.reviewed is only to provide "marginally" faster service than
comp.sources.unix.  It seems logically obvious to me that if comp.sources.unix
has taken as long as eight months in some cases to post simple submissions,
and if it is likely that comp.sources.reviewed will never take that long, then
the service provided by comp.sources.reviewed is significantly more than
"marginally" faster than the service provided by comp.sources.reviewed.

|> If you commit yourself now to showing what your real delays are, you'll
|> be able to look back in a few months and show me that I was wrong---if
|> you have anything published in a few months, that is.

  I think that putting received, revised (if relevant) and accepted dates on
our postings, something which (as far as I know) no other source group
moderator (including Rich Salz -- how can you make any claims at all about the
speed of comp.sources.unix if Rich has never said publicly how long his lead
time is?) has ever done, is an excellent idea.  In case there are reviewers
who do not read this newsgroup, I will forward it to the reviewers mailing
list.

  Incidentally, Dan, I am willing to bet you any amount of money or any stake
you name that we will have something published "in a few months."

--

In article <12178:Apr1512:46:5091@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>, brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
|> >   Do you have some evidence to back up your claim that people are not getting
|> > what they expected to get?  If so, could you perhaps present it to us?
|>
|> Sure. Journals do A. The current guidelines say B. You're considering
|> changing the guidelines to A.

  First of all, I don't understand what you mean here.  You have said that we
aren't really modelling things after a real journal (like you say we have
claimed), but here you say that we are considering changing the guidelines to
those of a real journal.  Perhaps you meant, "You're considering changing the
guidelines to C," or something like that?

  Second, as Andrew Patrick has pointed out other postings in this newsgroup,
there is little evidence to back up your claim that we are changing the group
as described in the charter.  I will not rehash what he has said, since he
said it well.  Incidentally, it seems to me that if the many people who voted
for the group thought we were changing it inappropriately, at least one of
them would complain, don't you think?  Instead, the only person complaining
about alleged changes after the vote is someone who voted against the
newsgroup in the first place.  Interesting.

  Third, the realistic/fatalistic point of view.  In the "real world" of the
Usenet, a moderator can do pretty much whatever he wants once a group has been
passed.  As I have said at least twice in other postings, if people decide
that the moderator has not met the goals of the group as described in the
discussion and voting, they will not use the group, and it will wither and
die.  If, on the other hand, they find the group useful, it will flourish.  As
someone else has pointed out in another posting, now that the vote has
happened and the newgroup message has been sent out, arguing about whether or
not we are sticking to the charter is an excercise in futility.  And if you
think that things shouldn't be that way, then you should be arguing to change
the way the Usenet works.  And comp.sources.d isn't the place for that
argument.

|> There is absolutely no way that all the
|> voters can be getting what they expected, unless they expected both A
|> and B. I find it highly likely that some of the voters would be (e.g.)
|> as shocked by the idea of publishing reviews as I was, if not more.

  Andrew Patrick has already pointed out that the question of publishing
reviews was discussed in the charter and discussion period, and that there
*are* journals which publish at least excerpts from reviews when papers are
printed.

|> Now it could be that people expected A, and you're going to end up with
|> A, and B was just a big mistake. In that case I'm justified for flaming
|> it, right?

  "Justified for flaming" is an oxymoron, IMHO.

  You can discuss how the group is going to turn out all you want.  At this
point, however, discussing the vote and whether or not we're sticking to the
charter strikes me as a most useless endeavor.

|> By the way, I didn't claim at first that people are not getting what
|> they expected to get. I said that they *may* get something only loosely
|> correlated with what they voted for. This is obviously true for any
|> group that considers drastic changes after the vote.

  You seem to be the only person who believes that the people running the
group are considering drastic changes after the vote.  And you have presented
little evidence to support this claim; I will begin to believe your claims
about what was said and not said during the discussion period and in the
charter when you start quoting from articles posted during the discussion
period.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik@Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-8085			      Home: 617-782-0710

In article <12409:Apr1513:14:4591@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>, brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
|> The gamma testing process found lots of problems that I did not
|> anticipate, but that happened *before* I published the sources.

  First of all, your gamma testing process may not have found all of the
problems.

  Second, the review process provided by c.s.r is, in my opinion, meant to be
similar to the "gamma testing" process you mention.  Many people don't have
access to a lot of people on lots of different systems to ask them to test
their software.  They can send it to c.s.r and ask us to test and review it.

  If your gamma testing process was useful, and c.s.r provides a service to
people which is similar to your gamma testing process, then it seems obvious
to me that c.s.r is useful.

|> I again invite you to explain what you would have done with the package,
|> exactly as it went out on comp.sources.unix. You're saying that you
|> ``may have found problems''; I say you should come down out of the
|> clouds and try to find problems. The package is right there! Make an
|> example of it! Have a blast!

  You persist in your belief that your one package, in your particular
situation, can be used as a general proof of properties that would hold for
all packages in all situations.  I've already pointed out this gaping flaw in
your argument once; you ignored me the first time.  Are you going to ignore me
again?

|>   [ in reference to some c.s.unix package ]
|> > C.s.r would not, in my opinion, have allowed that mistake to
|> > happen.
|>
|> Your guidelines give ``nlist'' as a prototypical package name, and
|> you're saying the group is going to catch mistakes?

  Irrelevant and juvenile comments like these do not lend any credence to your
point of view.  I KNOW that the package I mentioned had mistakes that would
have been caught by the c.s.r review process, because I KNOW that the package
would not compile in many configurations as it was provided, and the first
thing c.s.r reviewers would try to do would be to compile it.

  I also KNOW that they would have criticized the documentation for being
sparse and vague, and asked the author to clean it up.

  I know all this because I would probably have been one of the reviewers for
the package, and I would have done all of this.  And I respect the other
reviewers enough to believe that even if I had not been one of the reviewers,
one of them would have caught the same mistakes that I did, especially since
all I had to do to catch the mistakes was try to compile the program.

  You have made the generarl assertion that c.s.r cannot provide a useful
service.  As proof of your general assertion, you have offered a particular
case for which it holds true.  That is the first flaw in your logic.  Despite
the fact that it is unnecessary (in a strict debate sense) for me to refute
your assertion since it is not logically valid, I did so by presenting a
counter-example; one counter-example disproves a general assertion, as I am
sure you are aware.  Your attempt at refuting my counter-example consisted of
the brilliant logical maneuver of making fun of the submission guidelines for
the newsgroup.

  My admiration for your technique grows by leaps and bounds.

--

gl8f@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr15.131708.6168@mp.cs.niu.edu> rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:

>Now I am willing to sit back and wait to give the group a chance to prove
>itself.
>
>  Why can't we all do that, and stop this silly bickering over the net.

Because Dan Bernstein likes to hear himself talk. If more people used
global kill files, we could reduce the bickering on usenet many-fold.
But that's an unreachable dream.

In article <4967@lib.tmc.edu> jmaynard@thesis1.med.uth.tmc.edu (Jay Maynard) writes:
> In article <12409:Apr1513:14:4591@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
> >You have the right to your beliefs. Just don't pretend that this has
> >anything to do with journal publication.
> One more time:
> *WHAT* *DIFFERENCE* *DOES* *IT* *MAKE*??!

Many people involved with refereed journals would find the
aforementioned pretense to be exceedingly offensive. To put it simply,
it's not true, and nobody should attempt to make a group succeed with
false advertising.

> Why can't you drop the subject until we get some actual examples of the process
> inaction?

Okay, I'll do so; I think I've made my points clear enough.

---Dan

In article <1991Apr15.164926.6468@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>   If you do not deny that, then how can you say that the potential in
> comp.sources.reviewed is only to provide "marginally" faster service than
> comp.sources.unix.

Tsk. You seem to be arguing that since you had a posting delayed,
everyone must have had postings delayed, and so anything faster than
eight months is a huge improvement. I just don't think comp.sources.unix
is so slow, and I invite you to survey other people who have actually
posted to the group rather than continuing to chat with me about our
theories. Until you do that, truce?

> then
> the service provided by comp.sources.reviewed is significantly more than
> "marginally" faster than the service provided by comp.sources.reviewed.

Ahem. :-)

---Dan

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (04/16/91)

brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

>In article <1991Apr14.232818.15851@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>>   I see nothing wrong with reviewers contacting the submitter of a package.

>It's not *wrong*, just extremely unusual. The guidelines say ``Reviewers
>may contact you for information and clarification''; the default in
>journal publication is that referees ask the editor to forward comments
>and questions.

excuse me, but who the **** cares what's usual in the paper based
publication business? we're on a NET and that's just what makes it
possible to be faster, more flexible, more individual etc. do you
think i'd send paper mail to a submitter, or send it to the moderator
to forward it (which all adds waiting time) when i can send him email
directly, so i can get a answer REAL fast, like in some hours or so?
we're not into academic stuff here or whatever, but into SOURCES
were the typical mail will be "core dumped here and there" or
"what the hell does that function do?".

you know, first you complain that it will take very long for sources
to appear in c.s.r and then you say that overhead is usual. somewhat
contradictory, eh?

also, i'm not posting anonymously here. fine. what does that tell you?
nothing. i live 10000 miles away, and i can change my /etc/passwd as i
please. the same is probably correct for many of the reviewers. we want
to review sources. we do not testimony in the watergate affair.

>I'm glad you think you know what you're doing. Apparently that has very
>little to do with the guidelines. I suggest you hire a writer.

do you know what a "Paragraphenreiter" is?
--
   Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93 [voice!]
                  public UNIX source archive [HST V.42bis]:

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (04/16/91)

i would have told you that it lacks basic error checking.
try it on a full filesystem some time.
--

In article <1991Apr16.131650.24389@scuzzy.in-berlin.de> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) writes:
> i would have told you that it lacks basic error checking.
> try it on a full filesystem some time.

Okay, I just did; it quit with ``yabba: fatal: output error'' when the
filesystem filled up. I assume putchar() returned EOF, and since the
code tests for EOF throughout, there's no way an output error could have
slipped through.

What's the problem? Perhaps you accidentally tested compress instead of
yabba; compress does not test for I/O errors. Or did you see some
problem in the code? It's true that ``output error'' isn't too helpful,
but I didn't want to sacrifice portability just to get UNIX error
messages. I welcome suggestions for how to solve this.

If you ever do find a bug in my code, by the way, you should post it to
comp.sources.bugs as well as sending it to me. Thanks. I hope, by the
way, that reviews in comp.sources.reviewed are slightly more useful,
informative, or at least comprehensive than the above report. I would
recommend that in future reports you list your system architecture and
OS, as well as compile options, and explain the circumstances under
which you saw whatever behavior you say you saw. You might start by
looking at FORMLETTER in the yabbawhap package---out of the hundred or
so reports I've received on yabbawhap, more than ninety used FORMLETTER
to reply. (Yeah, I was surprised by this too.)

---Dan

kolb@kub.nl (Hans-Peter Kolb) (04/17/91)

Not that it matters much, but the following just appeared in comp.sources.bugs (article <1991Apr16.031008.6923@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> by
egray@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (Emmet P. Gray):

|> This is patch #4 to the Mtools v2.0 distribution package. (...)
|>
|> Mtools was posted to the unix-pc.sources news group (and mailed to Rich
|> Salz, the moderator of comp.sources.unix) on the 17th of September 1990.
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|> Since then, patches 1-3 have been posted to unix-pc.sources,
|> comp.sources.bugs, and emailed to Rich Salz.

Dan> Ahem. :-)

Me, too.

 hans-peter kolb                                            kolb@kub.nl
 Computational Linguistics                          kolb@htikub5.bitnet
 Tilburg University (KUB)                                P.O.Box 90 153
 The Netherlands                                     NL-5000 LE Tilburg

In article <1307:Apr1702:20:0991@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
> but I didn't want to sacrifice portability just to get UNIX error
> messages. I welcome suggestions for how to solve this.

How does calling "perror" sacrifice portability? Any compiler that doesn't
include a functioning perror() in their standard I/O library isn't worth
supporting... it's probably got other major limitations even if it satisfies
the letter of the ANSI C standard.
--

In article <FUSA56C@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
> In article <1307:Apr1702:20:0991@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
> > but I didn't want to sacrifice portability just to get UNIX error
> > messages. I welcome suggestions for how to solve this.
> How does calling "perror" sacrifice portability? Any compiler that doesn't
> include a functioning perror() in their standard I/O library isn't worth
> supporting... it's probably got other major limitations even if it satisfies
> the letter of the ANSI C standard.

While I'd love to pretend that most compilers ``out there'' are ANSI C
(and UNIX and a VAX and...), I don't want to keep my code from working
on the vast majority of implementations. I was under the impression that
some environments either do not provide perror() or do not set errors in
stdio; if perror() is universally available, I'll gladly recode the
error messages around sprintf() and perror().

---Dan

In article <25835:Apr1908:41:2991@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
> While I'd love to pretend that most compilers ``out there'' are ANSI C
> (and UNIX and a VAX and...), I don't want to keep my code from working
> on the vast majority of implementations. I was under the impression that
> some environments either do not provide perror() or do not set errors in
> stdio; if perror() is universally available, I'll gladly recode the
> error messages around sprintf() and perror().

errmsg(object, context)
char *object;
char *context;
{
	extern perror();
	char buffer[256]; /* or however big you want it */
	extern char *progname;

	sprintf(buffer, "%s: ", progname);
	sprintf(buffer+strlen(buffer), context, object);
	perror(buffer);
}

#ifdef NO_BUILT_IN_PERROR
perror(s)
{
	fprintf(stderr, "%s\n", s)
}
#endif

/* example: if(!fp) errmsg(filename, "Can't open %s for reading"); */
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) (04/21/91)

In article <B9UA6DD@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter
da Silva) writes:

| In article <25835:Apr1908:41:2991@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
| > While I'd love to pretend that most compilers ``out there'' are ANSI C
| > (and UNIX and a VAX and...), I don't want to keep my code from working
| > on the vast majority of implementations. I was under the impression that
| > some environments either do not provide perror() or do not set errors in
| > stdio; if perror() is universally available, I'll gladly recode the
| > error messages around sprintf() and perror().

Perror has been in Unix since V7.  Strerror on the other hand is a
creation of the ANSI committee.

| errmsg(object, context)
| char *object;
| char *context;
| {
| 	extern perror();
| 	char buffer[256]; /* or however big you want it */
| 	extern char *progname;
|
| 	sprintf(buffer, "%s: ", progname);
| 	sprintf(buffer+strlen(buffer), context, object);
| 	perror(buffer);
| }

This can produce the wrong error message if sprintf sets errno (for
example if it calls malloc and malloc fails).
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner@osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Considering the flames and intolerance, shouldn't USENET be spelled ABUSENET?

In article <MEISSNER.91Apr20151434@curley.osf.org> meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) writes:
> This can produce the wrong error message if sprintf sets errno (for
> example if it calls malloc and malloc fails).

I'm sure it can, but there are more systems where errno doesn't exist
and perror still works than where sprintf calls malloc. As you say, if
you can depend on ANSI C you can use strerror. If not, I'd rather stick
to the lowest common denominator.

In fact, I don't know of any implementations where sprintf can set errno.
Does *anyone* know of one?

(I once considered, on the Amiga, having perror pop up a requestor if
 the program was called from Workbench...)
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

kentfo@polari.UUCP (Kent Forschmiedt) (04/23/91)

In article <6_WAABB@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>I don't know of any implementations where sprintf can set errno.
>Does *anyone* know of one?

Who cares?  If there is one, or somebody someday makes one, somebody will
eventually be bitten.  Many years ago, I began adding two lines of code to
my versions of these functions, and stopped losing sleep.

errorthing(char *whatever)
{
	char buf[200];
	int etmp = errno;